500 fire issue

Nedbrod

Good morning all. Recently experienced a small fire (thankfully) on my RTV500 . Melted the left rear fender,fuel filter and fuel line, and part of the wiring harness. All is repairable but I can't seem to find a wiring diagram. I can splice into the wiring harness as the bulk of it is intact but can't determine what goes where. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the wiring diagram? I'm pissed that it's not in the owners manual and I would think you should be able to find it on-line somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:sad:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Nedbrod and welcome !! I would check the on line diagrams at Messicks eqpt. They are a sponsor here and have a header usually on the top of the forum page. https://www.messicks.com/vendor/kubota They have lots of illustrations in the diagrams -hopefully they are clear enough to make out but were in b and w last time I looked at other things. bordercollie

Nedbrod

I'll call them on Tuesday as I can't find anything useful for my problem. I'm not computer savvy but think they should be able to steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

Nedbrod

aurthuritis, there is no split in the harness. It comes as an entire unit and it is several hundred dollars. My plan is to solder new wire where I have cut it back to and run the new wires as needed to the electrical components (coil, pressure sensor, temp sensor, tail lights, etc.) That is the reason I need a diagram with the color coding of the wires.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
sorry. is there enough of the harness left that you can splice in between good places and just connect the like wires? maybe check some of the sellers on ebay who are selling salvage parts for your model and private message them to see if they have a harness or part of a harness???

Nedbrod

Not possible. Pretty much from the back of the cab to the tail lights everything got melted. I have a few bare wires running from one of the pressure switches but the plastic jacket is completely melted off. I started soldering and shrink tubing the connections to the usable harness but hope I can get a diagram from Messicks to clarify where they should connect. Thanks.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I was just thinking out loud to myself (dangerous thing) ... Is there a way to use a test light on the wire stubs remaining and the switches that power them, to see what wires go where ? example..Once when I had to fix my brake lights and I was alone, I used a 2x4 and a brick on the brake pedal to see if and when I got the bulbs working .

Nedbrod

bordercollie, that may become a distinct possibility. The tail lights should be pretty easy to ring out. I suppose if I can ring out a few of the wires by going under the front cowl and tapping into the temp gauge but not sure about what I could find on the back of the service module. At least it will eliminate some of the wires. Thanks.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How about going to a dealer, explain the situation then ask if you can take pictures under the bed of a machine like yours? Hopefully get close-up pics of what color wires go where.

Nedbrod

Bczoom, not a bad idea at all. I'll need to call first as the nearest dealer is about an hours drive away. Maybe I can work it out on a trip for major groceries! Thanks.

Nedbrod

Well members, I've been able to isolate all the wiring and most of what I could clean up from the burned sections of the harness gave me color coded wire to match up in the main harness. One problem remaining is a three-wire sensor that bolts down on the top of the engine. It is part #EG672-44800 (pressure sensor). Kubota wants $170.00 for this little single component. So, does anyone have any ideas on where I might possible find one from a used or totaled 500. I've been scouring the internet trying to find a place that might sell me one at a reasonable price. I would certainly appreciate any help tracking one of these down. Thanks all for your help.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Recently experienced a small fire (thankfully) on my RTV500
Thinking of these pricey parts and your original statement above. Do you have insurance on your machine and if so, did you submit a claim?
If you don't have an explicit policy for this machine, have you:

A) Considered getting one? I have full coverage for my 900 and it's well under $100 per year.

B) Check with your agent about coverage under your homeowners policy. If its used primarily for maintaining the resident premises, they should cover it (and may possibly go retroactive to before the fire). This is how my ZTR, tractor... are covered.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
that is how i purchased my X1100C. the previous owner had KTAC insurance and he had a fire on top of the engine from debris that fell between the bed and the cab. KTAC bought him a new machine and then repaired the damaged one with new parts and sold it to me.