2014 6110 Cab

zophy

Looking to purchase a 6110 60hp Cab with loader and 8ft bush hog. Between tractor, trailer and implements, do you think a Ford F150 that can tow up to 12,200 lbs. is enough?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's stopping power that is more important than towing power. Be sure your brakes are in A-1 shape and I'd guess you'd be okay. Allow a lot of extra time for stopping. No sudden stops. Anticipate. Be sure to ck the total weight before committing to this. I'm just reminding that stopping is a big consideration also.
Wecome to net tractor talk. :tiphat:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Like Doc said, stopping is a key aspect.

Where approximately are you located? If you're in high altitudes or hilly terrain, it may be a bit much for the truck. Whatever trailer you're using, I'd make sure it has good brakes on both axles as well. How often do you plan on towing/hauling the tractor?

zophy

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in south Louisiana, so no worry about hills. My F150 model has a trailer brake button that I never used. I will make sure the trailer I purchase had brakes also. Thanks for the good info

zophy

I plan on hauling it once a month to my hunting property that's 1.5 hours away from my home. I'm mainly using it to cut the 20 acres I live on but wanted to haul it to cut my hunting property year round.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Any chance of leaving the implements behind? (Loader and brush hog)?

I'm seeing some potential problems with both of those attached. The main thing is your total length. With that load, you're going to want at least 500# of tongue weight and personally, I'd probably go closer to a half-ton. To get that tongue weight, you're going to have to drive the tractor/implements on then stop once you get to the desired weight. Once you go over about 300# of tongue weight, you're now guessing based on how much the truck is squatting. Wherever that point is where you stopped the tractor is what you have to live with. Due to the length of the tractor/loader and brush hog, you may be sticking 5' off the back of your trailer. Not good so then you have to look at bigger trailers (cha-ching $). It may be cheaper to just get another brush hog and leave it at your destination.

I'd suggest you go to some trailer places and explain what you need to do. Take measurements and weights. They should look at your brake controller, hitch, tranny gearing, tranny cooling and dimensions/weight of your load and come up with some recommendations.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, hell yea. A Chevy would work too. That would be a much safer vehicle for that load. It's made for doing what you have in mind. A F150 is going to gripe every time it has to make the trip.

BTW, are you adopting? My truck turned 10 years old yesterday (I've had it 10 years as of yesterday). Daddy needs a new truck!

zophy

Sorry no adopting but I appreciate all the info. This forum really helped. Glad I joined. Is the standard hitch on a F250 ok?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a GMC guy but wouldn't expect any problems with a relatively standard hitch setup on a 3/4 ton Ford. I'm assuming they all come with a "tow package" (especially if it has a diesel) that will handle the load you're talking about.

You said "newer", not "new". That being the case, check the brake controller. Whether part of the truck or aftermarket, make sure it's in working order. If the truck doesn't come with one and you have to add, I'd recommend a Tekonsha (I think I spelled that right). Their inertial controllers are top-of-the-line.

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
What do you think the 60 hp tractor cab front end loader and 8 ft bush hog will weigh? I have two f350 single rear wheel diesel trucks and know that around 12 to 13 thousand pounds does not feel good on a tag along trailer with good brakes at highway speed. I haul a t300 bobcat with a mulcher head on it behind a f550 short hauls local and it weighs around the same as you are talking. Would not try to haul that machine far behind the f550 on tag along trailer at highway speed. If it does not feel good it is usually not good or safe. And I have to worry with the dot boys looking to fine someone. In Georgia anything 10,000 lbs trailer and load requires a cdl license and all the permits dot numbers and on and on. I have got to where I haul that machine behind dump truck on a 20 ton tag trailer with air brakes. A fifth wheel trailer behind the f350 would sure be better than a tag trailer. Also a dual rear wheel truck would make load a lot more stable at highway speed. Here is a pic of bobcat how I haul it most of the time now. Never know it is there.IMG_0197.jpg

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Bczoom it not as heavy of rig as I had thought then. My bad just wanted that guy to be safe. The road is the most dangerous place we go daily. Thanks a bunch.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you on all points. I was expecting the tractor to tip in at 8K or better (so I looked it up) which would give a half-ton a pretty much 0% chance of towing safely.

I'm thinking 10K for the whole load including trailer so a bumper pull 12K trailer with brakes on both axles behind a 3/4-ton diesel and grade 70 chains on his flat roads should make it a very reasonable haul.