check engine light 4540

plh140

i have a 2014 mahindra 4540 with 62 hours. The check engine light recently started flashing, with a noticeable loss of power. Any ideas?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi and welcome to our forum.
Hope you are still under warranty. I do not have a guess as to what is causing it but it sure does not sound good. I'd be calling a dealer to get this thoughts. Good luck.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
Is there a scheduled maintenance that's due (or overdue)?

Does the power loss seem to be related to engine or tranny? Is it a HST tranny?

I'd perform all scheduled maintenance and see where you are. It could be metal shavings in oil filters or other manufacturing debris "stuff" that just needs cleaned out.

plh140

i did change the oil and filter, plan on changing fuel filters this weekend. I tried disconnecting the battery to reset check engine light, but that didn't work.

Silverado

I have a 2015 Mahindra 4540 that had 49 hours on it when the check engine light started flashing. At the same time, I also noticed a huge reduction in engine power. You can notice it when the tractor is under load, or even traveling down the road in high gear. Yesterday, it would only reach 1800 rpm when traveling in 4th high. If you are in neutral or in 3rd high, it maintains full rpm, but in the field, it drops drastically under load. I am going to change the oil in it tonight for the first 50 hour change, but I highly doubt that will correct the problem. Does anyone know what is causing this issue?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have a Mahindra but if you're about to do the 50 hour service, consider changing the fuel filter. If partially clogged, the tractor runs fine without load but can't get the fuel it needs when under load. Also check fuel lines for any cracks/crimps or otherwise. If it's sucking air somewhere in through the fuel lines, you'll get the same symptoms.

Good luck and let us know how it is after your changes.

plh140

i cleaned out the egr valve on front top of engine with carb cleaner.... made world of difference. Also make sure use good clean fuel, they are really sensitive to fuel that is not perfect.