3525 with strange restart problem

sjc1701

My 3525 recently failed to restart after about an hour of brush hogging, no panel lights, just seems like no power coming through. This has happened several times now and I find that by removing and then reconnecting one of the battery cables, the power is back and it starts right up.

Haven't found an electrical diagram/schematic yet. Might there be a 'shut down' relay or something else that is hanging up until power is removed?

Any clue would be appreciated.
Thanks

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

Most of the time when I see this, it's the battery cables themselves. Just about everyone I know has gone through this issue at least once. The cables look good on the outside but internal damage and corrosion is putting them out of service.

Try using jumper cables instead of the battery cables and if starting is consistent, you'll need to replace the battery cables.

sjc1701

Thanks bczoom, that's something to try. I would have expected failing cables would pass enough voltage to light the gauges but maybe not crank the motor. So far this thing has been consistent that when it goes dead, lifting and replacing a battery cable clamp has brought it back to life and it's only failing to restart maybe 20% of the time. After a nights rest it is starting consistently... go figure!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'd replace the cables first and while you have them off the battery, take the battery to a car parts store and have them check it out as well.

Those cables, even when failing can push the voltage needed to light your gauges. What they can't do when failing is push the amps that are needed for the starter.