Oil change questions

dennyo

Hey all.

Just got done changing the oil and oil filter on my 2015 Mahindra 26 xl shuttle. So I kept the side of the tractor off until I was done as to tighten the filter if I need to. My question is I had a small leak at the filter so I tightened a little more and my oil pressure gauge is still on. Should I tighten a little more??

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

Lee1935

filters most of the time need to be just hand tightened with maybe tightened up just a hair with a wrench.

Did you check to make sure the old filter gasket came off?

dennyo

Lee.
Thanks for the response. Just a quick note I am new owner of a tractor and a complete moron. Having a blond hair day. DANGIT. Figured out my problem. My next question is that I had mistakenly put engine oil in my transmission case. Do I need to drain this, change out the filter, etc....? It house about 24 qts and I put 2 engine oil quarts in there.

Please advise. Thx partner

Lee1935

Show me someone who hasn't done dumb things and I will show you someone who has never did anything on their own ☺☺☺

2 quarts shouldn't make any dif, real cold weather maybe?

dennyo

Thank you sir. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow to make sure it won't hurt the longevity of my tractor. And you are correct on the doing stuff on your own. Glad I rarely make the same mistake twice.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
2 quarts motor oil in 24 quarts UTF? UTF is just 20 wt or 10-30 oil with different anti-wear additives. Maybe make the the next transmission oil change at 10% sooner than the manual recommends if you are a perfectionist. I wouldn't, myself.

But if you are now two quarts over full on the transmission dipstick that can be significant. I would drain the excess to get back down to the 'full' mark. (maybe use a suction gun?) There are some seals - axles etc - that weren't designed to run continually submerged so that might shorten their life.