kyeakel

I own a 1533 with loader and backhoe. Love the tractor, wish it had more hydraulic power. It has done a lot of work for me over the last year. Dug 300' of drainage ditch through my field, installed underground power cables, well water lines, topped my driveways with stone, mowed 10 acres a bunch of times, now plowed snow as well. The only trouble I've had was a bolt that fell out of the quick attach for the FEL, darn thing cost $9 at the Mahindra dealer.

Kipp

sotx2619

I've had a 1533 with a loader for about 2 years and it has performed very well. Very solid stable tractor with good power.

sotx2619

I think it depends on what your doing with the tractor. I choose the shuttle shift. Same power today, tomorrow, next year and 20 years from now. I've had a HST green tractor for 16 years and it doesn't seem to have the same power now as it had when it was new. In my opinion all HST tractors will lose performance over time.
With that being said I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

kyeakel

Mine is a shuttle. I have a Kubota RTV900 which is hydrostatic, if it's an indication of how HST tractors might work, I wouldn't buy it for my use.

Kipp

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can't say the RTV is a good indicator of how tractors with HST work. I have both a RTV and a Kubota tractor with HST. The tractor has one pedal, you push on the front of it to go forward, on the rear of it to go backwards. Easy peezy. The RTV has to be shifted from L, M or H to R before you can reverse.
HST on tractors is especially handy for loader work or any work where you are going back and forth. It came in handy for mowing, moving gravel, box blading, brush hogging ...all the things I do with my tractor. If I was in the buying market I'm most likely go HST again.

As a buyer do yourself a favor and keep an open mind. Sit on each type of tractor and drive them both. See which fits you best for the type of work you will do most.

My tractor is a 2002 model Kubota Grand L 3010. As I said I have HST and love it. I have not noticed any loss of power over the years due to HST. The post by sotx2619 is the first I've ever heard anyone even suggest HST's loose power over time. That is completely new to me, and does not jive with my experience.

Edit to add:
I must correct myself. I have heard of folks with HST notice a loss of power / performance in RTV's and Kubota tractors. In every instance I can recall this issue was always caused by the owner changing hydro fluid and going with something other than the expensive Kubota super UDT hydro fluid. The issue was always fixed by changing hydro fluid to what was recommended by the manufacturer (Kubota). I suppose this could happen with any brand if not using the proper hydro fluid.