Plasma Cutter/Tig/Arc Combo

Was wondering how many here had a plasma cutter? I have had one now for about a year. And I wonder how I ever got along without it. Its a 60 amp multi use model. I can cut, Tig or arc weld with it. I havent used the welding functions as yet since I have two other mig welders but I do plan on making a project this winter so I can learn to Tig weld. My little project will be made of aluminum which I understand tig welding is ideal for. So if there is anyone here who has had experience doing tig, let me know, cause I WILL be looking to you for advice. Arc and mig, I am not the best at it, but I do ok.

My only problem with using the cutter is being able to maintain a straight cut doing a cut freehand. I can do ok using something straight edged as a guide but this isnt possible all the time. Anyone have any suggestions that might help me keep a bit straighter when doing a freehand cut. :bangin:

Mith

I tried to do some TIG on aluminium, but ended up giving up with little to show for my efforts, I think there is alot of setup involved, but I couldnt get it to work well.
The arc would jump about 12" or so to the ground clamp, one word of advice, don't put the TIG torch in your lap if your knee is against the ground clamp. Trust me, it hurts!

Something that I have seen people do with O/A torches that might work with your plasma cutter is to make a little trolley that the tip sits in that holds it at the right angle, then you can use both hands to control the direction rather than worrying about maintaining the correct angles.

I tried to do some TIG on aluminium, but ended up giving up with little to show for my efforts, I think there is alot of setup involved, but I couldnt get it to work well.
The arc would jump about 12" or so to the ground clamp, one word of advice, don't put the TIG torch in your lap if your knee is against the ground clamp. Trust me, it hurts!

Something that I have seen people do with O/A torches that might work with your plasma cutter is to make a little trolley that the tip sits in that holds it at the right angle, then you can use both hands to control the direction rather than worrying about maintaining the correct angles.

Well, I have never tried welding aluminum so this will be a first for me. Any kind of TIG will be a first. I felt your pain above...<ouch) I blew an arc through my thumb one time. I dont even want to go into how THAT happened. That hurt a tad also. Was embarassing too. :oops:

I have seen something like you describe for torches. Thanks. I hadnt thought of that. It just might work. Thanks again.

my317

I have a plasma cutter for small jobs but I am lucky that I a serviceman that repairs cnc plasma machines so I can get any thing cut that I need.