Good power tools?

shinnlinger

GinB,

I have a Milwaukee 4.5 grinder and have used the snot out of it for at least 12 years. Probably one of the best tool values I have come to think of it. I paid $80 for it back then

GinNB

I've been trying to get one of the long handled Makita 5" ones recently, but the place I frequent that has them has been out of stock of the fullsized ones. They've got the shorthandled 5" (think 4.5" size and power but will take a 5" disk) and the fullsized DeWalt, but I don't know anybody who uses a DeWalt. One fellow I know swore by his 5" Makita until someone backed over it with a dumptruck.:pat:

I've never heard of Metabo until earlier today so I guess they're not an option. I don't mailorder tools with a warranty. I want someplace close that'll replace them the day they break. Maybe I'll hit Ackland Grainger and see what selection they've got and what they think is the toughest (if I can get a straight answer).

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
GinB,

I have a Milwaukee 4.5 grinder and have used the snot out of it for at least 12 years. Probably one of the best tool values I have come to think of it. I paid $80 for it back then

I'll say the same except mine is a Makita. I don't think it would survive the dump test though :hide:

Jim

shinnlinger

Well once the guard fell off my 4.5 er (Or did I take it off?)it can take up to a 9 inch disc if I wanted it to. I have an old 7 inch crapsman indusrtial I found at a yard sale for $10 and it is nice what it can do in a hurryand all the stuff is interchangaebl with the 4.5

Others love them, but I have found fault with every single DeWalt I have ever come across (with the possible exception of my biscuit jointer)

Well I don't buy much big name stuff. When my last ange grinder gave up after 12 years of building dirt track race cars. I bought an 8.2 amp black and decker don't know how long it will last, but it is one powerful dude. cost about $50.00

ghautz

I ordered a Crapsman (back before I knew any better) and a Skil was delivered, about 20+ years ago. Works fine, but the thread for the wire brush attachment is non-standard. Bought a DeWalt, with the plastic head, instead of metal, about 8 or 10 years ago. It has held up well, too. Based on my experiences with Makita and Hitachi tools I would not hesitate to buy either. I prefer them over Milwaukee.