portable band saw

quincy

Can anyone recommend where I could get a good value (read - cheap) portable bandsaw...?

I see in HD they have milwaukee for $300. Is that the going rate for these or is there a place that sell them cheaper...? I'll be in Orlando in a few weeks, would like to pick one up then...? Harbour freight, Lowes, Some place other than the big box stores... etc?
6fa08996-5061-4e7a-8937-88cfa37cc5ff_300.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've bought enough stuff at HarborFreight, and have not been impressed. There are a few items that seem to be okay but most of the stuff is made cheap. Imported from China I presume. I'd be leary of a bandsaw that cheap, especially when you are taking it so far before being able to use it.
There has to be a reason for such a huge price difference.

I would consider Lowes to be one of the big box stores. But, I would buy there or Home Depot over Harbor Freight. JMHO

Mith

Would you not have to get a voltage converter to run stuff from the US on the mains here?

I dont know your use exactly, but for cutting stock in your workshop one of those little chinese horizontal bandsaws are great. Had mine for 2 years with no problem, just a heck of a lot of use.

quincy

I have a 110v site transformer for some other tools so I would be ok there.
74.jpg

Do you have a pic of your band saw Mith?
"Horizontal" bandsaw I'm not familiar with. I know you can get vertical ones in the likes of B&Q but they seem a bit puny for cutting steel, esp heavy gauge box iron? I used to have a light "upright" band saw years ago but I hated that thing, apart from the blade drifting as it cut, following its own path, the blade regularly hopped off the belts and I eventually gave it away.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
If cheap tools for occasional use is what you want, rather than tradesman-quality, then Harbor Freight may be the cheapest source.

Some of their tools work well enough and others are utter rubbish. I've had good luck with their $10 and $16 angle grinders (4.5 inch). These draw 4 amps in contrast to a quality $100 tool that draws 10-11 amps so don't expect too much, but any angle grinder is better than none! In addition to one for grinding, I have a wire brush on the cheapest one ($10, blue) and a cutting wheel on another. I found this cuts better freehand than mounted in their hinged cutoff accessory.

That cutoff assembly was completely useless as bought. It is clearly a copy of a better one but the table is so flexible that forcing the blade into the work bends everything out of alignment long before the motor loads down. Its cam-lock vise is a joke, it reaches the end of travel before the object is secure then slips open as soon as a cut is begun. I get some minimal use out of this piece of junk using c-clamps to flatten the platform to the corner of the bench and another to clamp the work object rigid relative to the workbench.

I also bought their 6 inch angle grinder and find it is better for finish work, a little wimpy for removing material. Then I got the 9 inch version and that works great for ripping off metal - beveling for a weld or creating a unique shape. Total cost for all these grinders was under $100.

I have their $59 tractor Quick Hitch and the $180 motorized 50 ft sewer cleanout snake. These both work fine and were well worth the price.

Welding Web has a HF forum where good and bad HF tools are discussed. I would read up on a specific tool there before spending any money.

Mith

Got mine from Warco, who get the generic chinese tools and hop them up a bit to make them better.
Mine is the one in the bottom right hand corner here
You can get them cheaper, but you'll miss out on some of the features. The best one of which is the way it angles, much better than the standard one.

I cut alot of heavy box, and alot of 10mm plate. Cuts it really accurately, and straight! Couldnt be happier.

quincy

nice saw Mith.... I'm having tool envy right now... I think that tool you have is the one I want......

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
nice saw Mith.... I'm having tool envy right now... I think that tool you have is the one I want......

Me too!!! That is nice Mith. You know Quincy, Mith is just a ferry ride away for you. :D :hide:

Mith

Mith is just a ferry ride away
:D And a long drive......

Quincy, I dont know of any manufacturers who sell them in Ireland, but I would recommmend Warco. Think shipping is included in their prices online.
BTW, where did you buy that transformer? Ought to get one some time......

Mark777

I have the same saw as Mith...well, maybe not the exact same one, but mine was $199 at Harbor Freight. One of a very few tools that I actually like from their store.

This one, as opposed to Miths, does not cut perfect or accurate due to blade 'flex' and the roller bearing guides being too far apart, but still not too bad. I've had it for three years, cut tons of tube, bar and round stock -and next time I'll go with a better grade. I can tell you this though...It is way better and more versatile than the Milwaukee Porta-band saw - I have one and never use it anymore.

Mark

Mith

Mark, does yours not have any adjustment to take out the slop between the bearings and blade? I think the bolts that hold the bearings on are slightly eccentric, and you can turn them round to take out the slop. Some where on the net there is a manual for these things, I'll find it if you want.

Found the HF saw manual