Slow or no hydraulics

dbohann66

I have a 1997 new holland backhoe. The hydraulics have been giving me problems lately. They either stop working altogether or work slowly and weak. When it quites alltogether it sounds like there is a binding and fluid gets hoter than usual, like the pump has a restriction. I have to kill the machine and wait 10min or so and restart. Somethimes this works sometimes not. I have rebuilt rear backhoe control valve and front loader control valve, changed filters and fluid. Only thing I have not checked is pump. Any sugestions other than what I have all ready done?
Thanks for any help

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi dbohann66 and welcome ! This is a very , very long shot- but we had a hydraulic hose collapse internally and little pieces of it stopped up some of the ports on the old JD4020's loader. It worked very slowly because the fluid was almost blocked by the hose debris. Bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another long shot, but if you've recently disconnected the hydraulics, re-check all of the quick-connects to make sure they're on all the way (and that you didn't inadvertently switch 2 hoses).

dbohann66

I had thought about a collapsed hose but had ruled it out only because this problem does not occure all the time just at random. It can be working good and in sec just shut down and have no hydraulics at all. Could it still be a main hose collapsed?

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
slo hyds.

I would sure check into the posability of some trash in the system like BC mentioned...or you might check to see if there might be a bypas that is sticking.....oil getting hot real quick usely points to a restriction under preasure ......just my two cents.....good luck....:starbucks:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We undone our hydraulic hoses and found as we traced forward all sorts of rubber crud. It had also gotten in the metal piping running along the cross brace on the bucket too. We got rid of the bad hose .Then when we detached the hose on the cylinder it was packed with debris. It was no fun cleaning it all of of the piping. What a mess. I do remember after removing all we could get to , hooking up to the tractor and flushing fluid through it -with it detached before the cylinder- and stuff still coming out. We replaced the bad hose and it worked fine. I also remember pushing the cylinder back and forth under hydro pressure with only one hose connected to make sure no debris was left in the cylinder itself and some debris exited the cylinder through the hose less port when we did this. I don't know anything about hydraulics but hope this helps.I wish I had paid more attention to my Dad's line of work - hydraulics. Bordercollie

Last edited:

dbohann66

I would sure check into the posability of some trash in the system like BC mentioned...or you might check to see if there might be a bypas that is sticking.....oil getting hot real quick usely points to a restriction under preasure ......just my two cents.....good luck....:starbucks:

What do you mean a bypas sticking? I had a Newholland dealer tell me the main system pressure relief valve. I am wondering about the pump. I noticed that I looks like it has benn taken off befor as there is silicone between the pump and tranmission. When weather permits me I will check into this.
Thanks for the replies