GOT GREEN?????

After throwing Massey Ferguson RED paint all about the place last week, I needed a little contrast!

So, how about GREEN & YELLOW ?

I started yesterday with the latest project. Building another 2-row planter. #70 Deere Flexiplanter row units. I'll be updating them with a few optional parts and pieces over the next few weeks, but paint first!

Also planning on adding a GANDY dry fertilizer unit w/ ground drive.

Everything is painted. Decals get here mid-week. I'll re-assemble this much tomorrow, then add DEPTH BANDS, the fertilizer unit, and maybe even a Dickey John planter monitor that just happens to be laying in the shop!

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 44
After throwing Massey Ferguson RED paint all about the place last week, I needed a little contrast!

So, how about GREEN & YELLOW ?

I started yesterday with the latest project. Building another 2-row planter. #70 Deere Flexiplanter row units. I'll be updating them with a few optional parts and pieces over the next few weeks, but paint first!

Also planning on adding a GANDY dry fertilizer unit w/ ground drive.

Everything is painted. Decals get here mid-week. I'll re-assemble this much tomorrow, then add DEPTH BANDS, the fertilizer unit, and maybe even a Dickey John planter monitor that just happens to be laying in the shop!

Have you seen the retail for a 3pt JD 7000 2 row planter customized by S&S Equipment?
$2350 with notill
$2050 without

http://www.sandsequipment.com/equip...btype=0&equipmake=77&model=7000&submit=Locate

Have you seen the retail for a 3pt JD 7000 2 row planter customized by S&S Equipment?
$2350 with notill
$2050 without

http://www.sandsequipment.com/equip...btype=0&equipmake=77&model=7000&submit=Locate

Seen 'em and in fact, owned one for a week. I bought one second hand and then re-sold it. I paid $800/resold for $1750. :)rolleyes:) The down side is, they're HEAVY for a 2-row planter. A large number of 2-row units end up on the back of a small tractor. The one I had wa a no-till unit that had been further outfitted with all sorts of Yetter no-till coulters, trash sweeps, ect. It made my 2440 Deere light on the front end. We're talking a 6800lb, 60 hp tractor w/ 700 lbs of suitcase weights on the front rack.

I will say you might influence me to paint more...they rusty patina doesn't have the same zip anymore...

I tell everyone that anything I have except my wife and my MF150 has a price tag on it. Over the years, I've learned that the best way to build equity on an investment is $5 worth of paint. In spite of my screenname, I don't like, nor will I buy JUNK. I want sound mechanical condition FIRST and FORMOST. But appearances are where the money is at. I buy used equipment that has set out or been neglected for the most part. That way I get it sometimes for pennies on the dollar. Then I clean it up, tune it up, and paint it up. Over the years, I've owned 8 new tractors. I probably haven't owned 8 new IMPLEMENTS to go with 'em. It's not uncommon to see a piece double in value and "sell-ability" with an afternnon in the shop and a quart of paint.

All back together! The paint was dry enough to handle, so I re-assembled the planter. K&K Tractor called and said the decals were in todays mail. They should be here by wed. Gandy rep called to say their two nearest distributors don't handle AG products (turf, as in golf course) so he's working on a plan to sell direct or through a distributor in another area.

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 47

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good work. :thumb: I had never seen two row planters like that. Very cool. Thanks for the pics!!!!! :D

Good work. :thumb: I had never seen two row planters like that. Very cool. Thanks for the pics!!!!! :D

Deere built the #70's from 1958 through 1966, then switched to the #71. The updates were minute, but the #71 ended up being one of the most versatile unit planters of all time. It stayed in the Deere line-up for over 35 years. They're extremely popular to this day. Farmers still use them set at 14" spacings as soybean planters. Sugar beet growers love 'em. Even seed corn growers used them until just recently when air planters finally edged out the #71. The 70 was a good planter, but all the adjustments took tools. The 71 was simplified to make adjusting down pressure and drive chain tension a "no tools required" job. They were best known for the ability to plant FAST in rough conditions. The suspension was quite supple for a planter.

I used #71's in a 4-row X 30" configuration while I was farming. When I quit putting out a crop, we broke it down to two 2-row units. My son wants to put out his first corn crop this year, so we're reassembling the 4-row unit. Here's a picture of my 71's as a 2-row planter.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb25/Bigboy1mf/71planter2.jpg

Now that I don't have my #71's at my disposal any longer, I found 2 #70's at a good price to build up a 2-row for planting green beand and peas.

Decals made it today! From K&K Tractor from Shelbyville Indiana. Good folks, especially if you're into Green and Yellow!

Depth bands will be here tomorrow at the the local home of Mother Deere! Still no word on a shipping date for my fertilizer attachment

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 42