How to install a Toothbar

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Here are some photos as I put my toothbar on last night. The 54" toothbar weighs about 60-70 lbs I'd say.

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 217

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I used yellow duct tape under the ears so I could see where to drill the holes. Hard to see a black Sharpie mark on a black bucket.

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 193

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Used a 1/4" hole to start. DeWalt pilot tip bits are great.

Attachments

• 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 186

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Next went to a 1/2" hole on both sides

Attachments

• 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 186

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Thought you'd like to see the late 50's, early 60's era 1/2" Craftsman Drill I used. It only runs at 600 RPM, but as you can see has enough torque to snap the rear handle off of it. I did that years ago. While drilling these holes, I think the RPM may have dropped to 595.....

Attachments

• 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 193

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Couldn't locate the step drill bit I wanted to use to make the hole 3/4". Used this Unibit instead. Drilled both sides of the metal because this bit is 7/8" total and I didn't want to make it that large.

Attachments

• 07.JPG
    07.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 185

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Test fit the bolts......yep they fit real good

Attachments

• 08.JPG
    08.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 182

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Here I am all finished with the install.

Attachments

• 09.JPG
    09.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 228

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Total time, 50 minutes, including going out back to bring the tractor around, taking pics and cleaning up

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 221

BoneheadNW

Thought you'd like to see the late 50's, early 60's era 1/2" Craftsman Drill I used. It only runs at 600 RPM, but as you can see has enough torque to snap the rear handle off of it. I did that years ago. While drilling these holes, I think the RPM may have dropped to 595.....

I have a couple of power tools like that. I don't use them any more but don't have the heart to toss them. Maybe they might be worth something on Antiques Road Show!
Bone

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

I have exactly the same Craftsman drill. It was my father-in-laws and I've had it over 20 years.

Mine is two speed, 0 rpm and 600 rpm :poke:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Boy, that is what I have to add this year. Markhamgirl ....I didn't forget, I'll be ordering soon.
Jerry, project rep points for you. Good job!!!!!
Where did you get the tooth bar from? It sure looks like it will dig up a storm now. I can't wait to get my rig set up with a tooth bar. It gives them attitude ya know!?

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Boy, that is what I have to add this year. Markhamgirl ....I didn't forget, I'll be ordering soon.
Jerry, project rep points for you. Good job!!!!!
Where did you get the tooth bar from? It sure looks like it will dig up a storm now. I can't wait to get my rig set up with a tooth bar. It gives them attitude ya know!?

Well............it's umm........not from Markham. WR Long, a buddy of mine sells them and I got what I thought was a good price at the time. THEN I heard about Markham.
Doc, it gives them more than attitude, it gives it teeth to reach right and take a bite or two or three out of your deck when you're not looking.

Ductape

I have a very similar old craftsman 1/2 inch drill i inherited from my father...... i'm guessing a similar era. I've had it "grab", spun the handle out of my hands....... caught my chin with the handle and dang near knocked me out cold !!!!! :boxing:

Nice job on the tooth bar !!

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, I've had that old drill with an auger bit catch numerous nails hidden in the wood somewhere and had it ripped out of my hands or up against my chin. I call it "Killer". It may only be 600 RPM but it'll drill through anything if you and the bit holds up.

twinwillows

Nice install - on the drill, I have my grandfathers which is from the 40's I think. No reverse. It'll drill thru anything as long as you can stand to hold it. It's definitely not one I'd select for furniture work!

xkrfan

Nice looking job.were you implying that Markham may have been the better deal? I see you got 6 teeth. Was that standard for your size bucket? I just got a new John Deere 2320 and want to put a toothbar on. For my size bucket Markham puts on 5 teeth but will install an extra for extra$$.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to NTT xkrfan. What size bucket do you have? I'm also ready to order a toothbar but thatmarkhamgirl (a member here) has not responded to my PM yet. She must be busy busy! I'm not sure how many teeth mine will have, but after digging without a toothbar just the fact that these teeth will break up the dirt before my bucket edge gets to it should make a world of difference. I have mostly clay and it can sure be hard going. I look forward to getting the teeth added to my rig. :thumb: