RTV900 Windshield opinions and suggestions.

seery

Hello - I'm considering the Green Mountain Lexan windshield for
my RTV900. It seems several companies sell the Green Mountain
windshield with no mention of it being such.

Has anyone tried one? Any other well made ones available?

For 270.00 shipped, it sems a good product at a fair price.

Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions, or comments appreciated.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="seery"]Hello - I'm considering the Green Mountain Lexan windshield for
my RTV900. It seems several companies sell the Green Mountain
windshield with no mention of it being such.[/quote]
Do you have a site or something where we can see the windshield? A google search didn't provide much.

$270 seems like a nice price, especially for Lexan but I'd like to see the specs on what they're using.

I made my own windshield (out of Lexan) and the current price for just the Lexan sheeting is around $260-300. The stuff I have has what's called MarGuard or MR-10. It makes for greatly extended clarity and durability since it can't be scratched. Regular Lexan is only made to withstand about 5-7 years of outdoor use.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm. Something doesn't seem right.

When I look at the $270 model, it's made of Acrylic, not Polycarbonate (Lexan). That's not good...

When I look at their full cab enclosure (on the next page), it says "The Hybrd cab takes our best selling full cab and removes the flexible
acrylic windshield so our rigid Lexan windshield can be used."

I don't see a "Lexan" windshield for sale anywhere on their site.

I'm not a chemical engineer but if I recall correctly, Acrylic scratches and yellows very easily/quickly. It's also pretty soft so it flexes a lot. For Lexan, it's very difficult (and expensive) to bend. If you see a windshield touted as being Lexan but has the contoured bend in the middle, be skeptical...

There's windshields listed on e-bay that say they're Lexan as well, for $160.

seery

bczoom - Thanks for pointing that out. I was basing the "Lexan" on info from the owner but it appears you are correct.

You just saved me the hassle of dissapointment!

I would like to order the "Hood Rack" but it's a bummer it won't work with the glass Kubota windshield. :eek:(

Do you still like your glass windshield if you were to do it over?

Thanks.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have glass. I have Lexan.
Based on the current price of Lexan, a glass windshield is pretty close although still slightly higher in price.
The Lexan is nice and offers me a lot of flexibility (like taking it off in a matter of minutes, and it works with the hood rack). The glass has the benefit of being more durable and wipers can be used.

If I had to do it again.... hmmmm. I honestly don't know which way I would go.

Here's a (poor) pic of mine now. You can see where I have a channel across the middle of the windshield area so I can use the Lexan. This is where the seam is to compensate for the contour of the ROPS. The hood rack mounts pretty much perfectly to my windshield clamps.

seery

My mistake, for some reason I thought remembering you went to a glass windshield from the LExan you fabricated.

Nice pic and nicely equipped machine!

I really really like the hook rack and am going to order one within a few days. Will start with that and keep deciding on which windshield to order.

Thanks for the hlp and input bczoom.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Being a new owner of a RTV myself, I was planning on getting a new lexan or plexi windshield.</P>

But, a few weeks ago I went to a farm where a gentleman has two Kubota RTVs, one has the Lexan and the other has a Kubota Glass. Both machines were purchased within weeks apart. After looking at the Lexan windshield. I went ahead and ordered a Glass. For what I seen, the other scratches bad, and they don't come out is what the farmer said. He now going to replace it with a Glass, and advised me to do the smart thing a spend a little extra money and get something that you can see threw in time. He said he don't know why he didn't go ahead and spend the money then and get a glass, where now he is going to have to do it anyway...... Also, clean up is so much easier on the glass.......</P>

doggman

My neighbor has a stock Kubota plastic (acrylic ?) windscreen on their 2007 RTV900. The machine is 4 months old.Their windscreen is completely covered with very fine swirl scratches and is hard to see through. I would say it would be a fine windscreen if you never took the RTV outside...</P>

Lexan isGE's name for polycarbonate plastic. Polycarbonate is widely available from a number of manufacturers.It's used tomake bullet proof "glass" and aircraftwindscreens so it'stough stuff and ought work well for a RTV windscreen if you decide to go that route.( I use polycarbonate for the housing of a severe "g" force indicator that Imake and it has never failed in any impact. )</P>

seery

Two Guns and doggman - Thanks for the input. You have quickly convinced me to stay away from the OEM Kubota plastic windshield. It's those fine scratches and swirls that would drive me nutty!

It looks like the glass is the way to go.

Unfortunately the hood rack doesn't work with glass...Arghhhh.
Really wanted a hood rack.

Back to the drawing board.

rzoommer

I have a glass w/sheild on mine and I just purchased a hood rack-- I think I can put two small holes in the side metal panels below the glass and use the stock brackets for the rack --- that is my plan so dont know it it will work but will keep everyone posted --- bdk</P>

</P>

</P>

ekcwmi

I made mine from a piece of Lexan and wire looms. I tried to heat and bend it at the curve in the ROPS and overheated it in one spot. But the outcome was fairly nice. (my opinion anyway).</P><FONT size=2>

</P></FONT>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Yes, I would like to know if the "hood rack" will go with the Kubota glass windshield. Just had one installed the other day, love the glass & the frame the way it is installed and seals the whole front. I was interested in purchasing a hood rack for our unit next .... I am waiting for the UPS truck to show up with my ROPS high mount air cleaner in a matter of days now ....</P>

Chandler

Two Guns,</P>

Do you think you might be able to post a pic of your air cleaner once you get it installed. I, and I'm sure some others might be interested in one too. Thanks!</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I sure will, just as soon as it comes in and install it. Talked to the Kubota mechanics at my dealership and he said it should take maybe 15-30 minutes to install. And they also stated that I will find out this is theBEST investmentthat will ever be made on this unit. I purchased some Rain-X to put on my new windshield. I figured it would work just fine and take the money that would be spent on wipers and spend it somewhere else on this unit. Thinking about purchaseing a remote control "Go Light" for this thing. Seen one working the othernight and thought that was the sharpest thing in night time lights . </P>

Londoner

I bought a Lexan windshield for my RTV from a guy on e bay that made "kit" , for I think around $190. It came as a flat sheet with some clips that hold it to the ROPS really well, it bends to follow the shape. It also had a couple of aluminum channels for top and bottom for extra strength.</P>

It works fine, bit delicate and will scratch if you really go at it - I'm more afraid of scratching it when i clean it - so i don't - just hose it down - no problem.</P>

</P>

works well</P>

rleonard

Prior to my RTV, I had a Kawasaki Mule. On it I had their plastic
windshield. Despite being quite careful with scratching, cleaning
procedure, etc., after a year there were scratches in it. At
night there were swirls around any oncoming lights.

Now a year and a half with the glass RTV shield, it still looks like new.

Bob

jdh1

Hi, ekcwmi, I would like to know how you bent the lexan, did you use a small propane torch? did you work your way across the lexan? how hot did it need to get and how did you judge when to bend? I'd like to try to make a windshield and any advice you or anyone else have would be appreciated. THANKS, jdh1