Grote mirrors

river

Well, I ended up getting a pair of Grote mirrors. Here is my second attempt at uploading a picture.</p>

river

Here is a link to the manufacturer's web site. If you are interested, print this page and take it to NAPA. They'll find it in their Grote catalog.</p>

http://grote.com/product.php?product_number=28252-5</p>

When I was trying to locate a source for it, I found one price of $32 on shop.com with $10 shipping for two, total $74. NAPA gave me a price of $34.82 each, plus 7% tax comes to $74.5. I thought I'd get it quicker from NAPA, so I told them to order two. They did arrive in two days, but there was a $7.60 shipping charge, which was also taxed. Total price $82.78. I complained, but took them anyway. I'm not sorry. They are beautifully made, blend right in, are pretty close to the door frame. Very nice mounting arrangement. They are flat glass, and there is no vibration at idle or flat out 27 mph on the speedo going down the road on the level.</p>

river

To attach the mirror, I lined up the bottom plastic bracket with the bottom edge of the hinge, right up next to the door bolt, and drilled two 9/64" holes in the hinge, then tapped for #8x32, installed bottom bracket with 1/2" bolts, then put the top bracket on the rod as high as I could get drilling on the front bolt, and did the same thing as the bottom.</p>

river</p>

</p>

River,,,,,</p>

I ordered them from Midway Auto Supply $31.99 each and $13.00 shipping for a total of $76.98......</p>

Rusty Anvil,,,,,</p>

River,</p>

You did a real nice job on those mirrors......You thought it out first so they wouldn't shake or rattle using a 1/2 inch bolt......I tried a bunch of Auto stores for a good price but not many carry the Grote brand..........NAPA, Amazon.com, and Midway Auto Supply.........Got tired of looking and just ordered........Not worth the hassle to save a couple bucks.............I also ordered a Donaldson pre cleaner H002434 to put on the air cleaner stack but they won't have one to send out until the first of July.........This is a new spin air cleaner and some parts are on back order.........My next project is the radio and i have one picked out.........It is the Pioneer DEHp400ub Premier car cd for 136.35 from Hookedontronics.com......This is the best price around that I could find.......</p>

Thank You for the great Pictures and the great explanation on mounting those mirrors............</p>

Rusty Anvil,,,,,,,</p>

river

[quote user="MessickFarmEqu"]</p>

Nice job. that totally looks factory.</p>
<div style="clear: both;"></div>

[/quote]</p>

Thanks, Neil. Coming from an experienced dealer, that means a lot.</p>

I don't plan to do a lot of mods, as the 1100 is loaded to start
with. But I will be looking for a strobe/rotating beacon for plowing.
Since the 1100 roof is plastic, I'll either add a steel plate and get a
magnetic mounted light, or maybe use velcro for a mount. Ideas from
anyone? I'll definitely peel the light off if I try to put the machine
in the garage with light attached.</p>

Doug</p>

</p>

</p>

river

[quote user="river"]</p>

To attach the mirror, I lined up the bottom plastic bracket with the bottom edge of the hinge, right up next to the door bolt, and drilled two 9/64" holes in the hinge, then tapped for #8x32, installed bottom bracket with 1/2" bolts, then put the top bracket on the rod as high as I could get drilling on the front bolt, and did the same thing as the bottom.</p>
<div style="clear: both;"></div>

[/quote]</p>

Those bolts are 1/2" long, #8x32 thread size. They are strong enough to hold against heavy brush (tried it - my wife, who was with me, used Armor-All on the plastic door panels afterwards - looks like new) and damp any vibration that may come up.</p>

</p>

Deerlope

I put a steel plate on my roof for the magnetic beacon lite. Drill the hole thru the roof a little under size so to make a tight and leak proof mount. Just one 1/4" dia bolt in 2 corners is enough.</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I too put a metal plate on the roof and went with magnetic.</p>

Whichever way you go, plan on <span style="text-decoration: underline;">not</span> remembering to remove the light at least once. Make sure the mount, wiring... is such that when the header over the garage rips your light off the roof, it does it in such a fashion as to not cause damage.</p>

As for rotating vs. strobe, I'd definitely go with the strobe. The rotating use up so much power just making the darn thing spin. I have a pair of magnetic mount strobes that are very bright, especially for their small size. I'm pretty sure they're ECCO 6410A-MG (the MG meaning magnetic).</p>

Here's a couple thoughts for you...</p>

Can you put some strobes on the front/back edges of the roof so you don't increase your overall height?</p>

If you do go magnetic and put it on top, how thick is that roof? What would happen if you took off the ceiling liner and put the metal plate just inside the roof. From there, it wouldn't be seen and no holes (assuming you glue it on). If the roof isn't too thick, the magnet on the light may be able to grab onto the steel plate right through the roof.</p>

</p>

Doug,</p>

You can make a plate of flat steel in a zig zag pattern ..(Z).. and you can put the strobe light higher than the roof, even with the roof, or below the roof. Depending on how long you make the Z pattern.....You can attach this to the middle light port in the rear of the roof or put one in the middle slot in the front of the roof....or put two strobes one in the back and one in the front like BCZOOM did.............I put mine in the rear slightly above the roof line so you can see it from the front or rear..........</p>

Rusty Anvil....</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="RUSTY ANVIL"]or put two strobes one in the back and one in the front like BCZOOM did.........</p>

[/quote]</p>

Mine are actually on top. TWO GUNS and others have mounted their GoLight forward on the roof so I believe they can fit inside a standard garage (which is where I got the idea). I CANNOT pull into a standard height garage.</p>

</p>

</p>

Doug,</p>

As soon as I get outside I will take some pictures to show you. Of all the pictures I have, I don't have one of the side view of the plate. You can buy this plate at any welding shop.......You can get the thickness you want......</p>

I think I have the 12mm steel plate.........The Kubota roof has a 30 degree angle in the middle slot so you will have to make the plate on a 70 degree angle to have the light setting level............I made my plate the same width as the opening on the roof.........You can make it as long as you want to accommodate your strobe light..........I purchased the ECCO 6550A-MG..........There are a lot to chose from.........</p>

My next project is a bumper from TOMMY as soon as BCZOOM reports back on the fit of the first bumper made just from pictures that I sent to him...........I will post a picture on here and also send you one by e-mail because you canenlarge the one I send by e-mail..............</p>

</p>

Rusty Anvil,,,,,,,,</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="RUSTY ANVIL"]The Kubota roof has a 30 degree angle in the middle slot so you will have to make the plate on a 70 degree angle to have the light setting level</p>

[/quote]</p>

Don't you mean 60 degrees to get to level?</p>

</p>

Bczoom & Doug,</p>

You areright BC, my mistake........It was early in the morning when I typed the reply...........60 degrees it is.......</p>

Here is your picture of my setup.........</p>

Rusty Anvil.............</p>