Is your diesel losing it's prime?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I just thought I would mention this since so many of us have more than one diesel. Several weeks ago I went to crank the small Case skid steer and had to spin the starter a lot. well, it finally cranked after I was getting seriousing worried about damaging the starter.Later we changed the fuel filter ...no help every time I went to use it the same thing eh eh eh eh eh. then it would catch. I use this loader for cleaning the feedpads so just put up with it . I load the feed wagon with the Cat. Then the 7420 JD tractor did the same thing.. Well I could see the braided fuel line was somewhat dusty but not wet.... I put my ear up to it and wiggled and could hear it ever so slightly sucking air!! A new fuel line solved the problem. then I went to the Case and sure enough the fuel lines were stiff. I decided just to tighten them even though I saw no fuel seeping and it worked!! It cranks right on the money now. I see why so many manuals say to replace the fuel lines every few years. I will change the ones out on all the equiment next time the fuel filters are changed.Wonder how many folks have been sold new fuel pumps for this same thing? Bordercollie</p>

Onfoot

Very useful advice! I have several diesels and will be alert to this issue--I could imagine myself putting out for an unnecessary fuel pump! Many thanks, Bordercollie!</p>

Bordercollie..What a great tip. Never would hve crossed my mind to check this.I'll be checking all my machines next time I have the hoods up.</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you my Canadian Friends, Glad to be of help. I learn something new everyday. Thank goodness for duct tape and screwdrivers too.Those items have got me out of a tight more than once. Bordercollie</p>

Onfoot

Just to return the favour, here is a useful Canadian handyman project for you to check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Lnfpulwjc</p>

Enjoy! :)</p>

</p>

muleman2

Had a similar problem more than once. I found that the hoses on either side of an inline fuel filter tend to get stiff and crack. I put a fuel pump on my 52 willys and it turned out to be a problem with a hose going from the tank to the metal line on the frame. GM trucks are bad for rusting out metal lines and losing prime also. the new ones with the pump in the tank leak bad enough you know where the problem is.</p>

Onfoot

Hey Muleman, my very first vehicle was a '52 Willy's pickup. I called her Marty and loved her deeply! :)</p>

muleman2

They were a great vehicle for getting around in bad conditions,be it rain or snow. The old heater box hanging under the dash was often supplemented with cans of sterno while snow plowing. man could that thing move some snow. I owned it for 16 years and it was very reliable. the old flathead 6 (from another vintage willys) would start in cold weather regardless of the temps. I used it for pulling logs and ripping out multi-flora roses while clearing pastures. I seldom took it out of low range on the farm. High range on the highway was 43 mph tops! good memories.</p>

Onfoot

I got mine when I was 15 years old after it had sat for a decade or more in a guy's backyard in Reno, Nevada. It took a year of work to get it running, and I ended up putting in a flat-head four cylinder out of a '45 Willy. It didn't do any work, but my goodness it could go places! Lot's of stories and, as you say, lots of memories!</p>