RTV fails miserably

I just got back from a trip to my buddies cabin in the mountains with the RTV. They have miles of trails up the mountains. I knew that the kubota would have a hard time on some of the hill but i had no clue it would be so bad. It just stopped on some of the trails. I had to go up a very steep hill to get back to the cabin, and it just wouldn't go, i had to hook to a tree and winch all the way up the hill. I wasn't all that high up in the mountains at all so i do not think that the elevation was an issue. However i think that having 3 people in the kubota and a full steel/glass cab on it made a huge difference, because it is so much extra weight</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that.</p>

When climbing the hill, did you have the pedal mashed to the floor?</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you have an opportunity to take on that hill again?

If so, can you try something?</p>

Unless you absolutely need it, don't use 4WD.</p>

Once the RTV starts to slow and the engine bogs down, let off the pedal to somewhere around the half-way mark. You'll know when you're at the sweet spot. Then engine RPM's will increase and you'll have all kinds of ground power. It'll be a whole different machine.</p>

I live in a very hilly area. If I get a running start and have the pedal mashed and hold it there, I'll only make it about 1/4 of the way up the hill.</p>

If I do that same approach but when it starts bogging down, let off on the pedal, I can climb all day without issue.</p>

well to me It should not be like that. I think I should be able to give it gas and go, not have to give it gas let off and all that. I am going to give me dealer a call this week and see if there is possibly something wrong</p>

Deerlope

The only thing wrong is the operator. Listen and pay heed to the advice given. Maybe you can get the Kubota engineers to change the design but I rather doubt it. Mine is an 05 model and with men and equipment I am hauling over 2400 lbs and we are pulling hills all day in medium gear range 2WD. You can bet that the pedal is not mashed all the way to the floor. Its hard to get use to driving that way but it works. I know what you are thinking and that is that the total payload weight is exceeded and you are right, it is. But the beast just keeps on going.</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
And what gear were you in? I use M on steep pond levees and such and I can go straight up them. Now if I stop halfway in between like dead stop... I have to continue in L ... To get going anyway... if it is real steep. You will learn , it's just like Kanook and BCzoom said.... I have always thought it is all in the ankle.. ... Good Luck and don't be disheartened... I was quite embarrassed the first time I tried to show my unit off by pulling a Powder River squeeze chute out of the barn.(heavy). Had the RTV in H and she just sat there and just squat. I learned afterward ...H is for high speed travel not so good for heavy stuff or straining situations... Bordercollie</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
And what gear were you in? I use M on steep pond levees and such and I can go straight up them. Now if I stop halfway in between like dead stop... I have to continue in L ... To get going anyway... if it is real steep. You will learn , it's just like Kanook and BCzoom said.... I have always thought it is all in the ankle.. ... Good Luck and don't be disheartened... I was quite embarrassed the first time I tried to show my unit off by pulling a Powder River squeeze chute out of the barn.(heavy). Had the RTV in H and she just sat there and just squat. I learned afterward ...H is for high speed travel not so good for heavy stuff or straining situations... Bordercollie</p>

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
+1 on what is said above about backing off on the throttle til I hear the engine begin to work. I live in hills and carry LOADS of firewood out of the forest up to my storage area. Hickory and Oak. Through the forest and up the road on 15 to 20 something degree slopes. L is often used; but most often M. My road is 1/2 mile of 12 degree and each time I go up the thing in H I just back off a bit and though slow, one can hear the engine working better.</p>

When fertilizing my pasture I will load up to 20 bags of fertilizer in the back and easily tool up and down my 22 degree slope pasture. I have a tilt meter on my tractor so am totally sure of the incline angles. </p>

On some other threads and forums, tractor by net, they talk about all kinds of adjustments to make to help with this; but for me, the little thing about backing off the throttle works just fine. Yes, counter intuitive, and if a person is a bit anal, hard to accept...........Good luck.........Dennis</p>

talked with kubota today. They said that the RTV should go up ANY hill without problem and to check hydrostatic pressure and the fuel filter, if this wasn't it to bring it in</p>

Deerlope

You try driving it the way Zoom told you to and you will see that he knows what hes talking about. You will find that spot in the throttle and you will feel the increase in power. There is actually and aux hydraulic pump that comes into play when the throttle is in the right place. It is hard to explain and understand but it works. You see in my sig where it says tracks, well these tracks weight 900 + pounds and even though I am not carrying them I stll have to move them up hills. I was out just a few ago going up hill thru a foot of wet heavy snow. About half throttle and it is just a breeze to drive. Just tracking along as one might say. I just need to get Two Guns here to go with me.</p>

doggman

Johndeeremho - Your dealer gave you some good advice.From past posts itlooks like you have a 2005 - correct? There's a pretty good chance you may have some hydro issues with the pump, swash plate, etc. I'm well aware of the operational quirks of the RTV and I've been in a similar situation with a strong engine and no amount of playing with the throttle, gears, diff lock, parking brake, 4WD, etc.made a difference. It's like having a suddenly burned out clutch plate half way up a steep hill. I Imagine your buddies will never buy anything orange after this. </p>

Who knows why Kubota had the aux pump kick in under load at half RPM... I have one of their hydro tractors and it's not set up like that. You can chain it to an oak and it will quickly dig itselfto the differentials in 4WD in hardpanbefore the tires ever stall out. </p>

Go to the forum forLeon's hill climbing and watch the video as you watch the video you will hear the change in engine RPM when my son lets of on the gas peddal as he climbs the hill.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Think this is the link you are looking for :</p>

</p>

<span style="color: #003399;">http://compacttractorreview.com/cs/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.01.70.44/Leon-hill-climbing-RTV.wmv</span></p>

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="height: 16px;">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</p>

Also, when is the last time that transmission has been serviced ? And if it was serviced, what fluid and filters were used >>>></p>

..... two guns </p>

Agree with everything said about the hillclimbing ability of the RTV. This was one of my main requirements and one test drive at my dealership convinced me. The RTV continues to amaze me. It will go up hills that I used to think would tip it backwards. Thanks to the hydro transmission it will also go down these hills in complete safety. It will climb any hill that does not look stupid with a heavy load of firewood and accelerate if I want to go faster.</p>

Deerlope

[quote user="Tinker Taylor"]</p>

Agree with everything said about the hillclimbing ability of the RTV. This was one of my main requirements and one test drive at my dealership convinced me. The RTV continues to amaze me. It will go up hills that I used to think would tip it backwards. Thanks to the hydro transmission it will also go down these hills in complete safety. It will climb any hill that does not look stupid with a heavy load of firewood and accelerate if I want to go faster.</p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

Tinker; Where are you located in NY?</p>