6605 pto problems

vhfarms

I have a 6605 JD with 3300 hrs on it. Pto is shutting off on its on. You can pump the clutch on the tractor 2 or 3 times and the pto will start back up for a short time and quit again.. I have changed the cylonoid on the pto and that didnt help.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. This kind of stuff happens everytime in the middle of hay season... thanks..

jd110

Are you saying that pumping the foot clutch makes the pto start again? I'm not sure how that can happen. The most common problem with pto is the pto switch goes bad. It can make the pto stop intermittently. The other problems are bad solenoid which you already replaced, and also the pto speed sensor can fail and make pto stop. Can you read pto speed in dash?

vhfarms

Yes, I know it sounds wierd but you can stop the tractor, pump the foot clutch and it will sometimes start back, not everytime though. I cant read pto speed in the dash, The swithch you are talking about, where is it located? Thanks for your reply..

jd110

The switch is the knob you turn to engage the pto. Actually not the knob, but the part the knob is connected to in the right console. You can replace it by removing the four allen headed screws in the panel the switch is located in. Then the panel lifts out with the switch. Disconnect the wire lead. Then the yellow center of the knob screws out to expose an E-clip that holds the knob on. Remove the E-clip, washer, knob, special toothed washer, and spring. Then the nut that holds the switch in place is exposed. It is a round nut that you can grip with pliers to screw off. Install new switch in revers order and see if pto works properly.

vhfarms

Thanks.. I will try the switch... I drained the hydrallic fluid out yesterday and found out I have some major problems.. Fluid is full of metal flakes, and the fluid had a metallic look to it. Seems people at the dealer think a brake is wore out or collapsed and got fillings in the fluid.. This may have eaten up the pto clutches?? What other damage can these fillings do? I dont think It has been run long like this.. thanks..

jd110

Luckily the filters catch most of the metal before it reaches the valves and other crucial parts. Some very fine stuff can still get through and cause problems over time. If the sump screen and filters are clogged and cause low pressure, that can cause the clutches to slip and burn up. Did you find any clutch/brake facing material in the screen?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We once got water in the 7420 and had to take off the piping underneath and clean it in addition to cleaning the screen in order to get every drop of water out. A real hassle but worth it. In fact we ran it for a week's worth of chores and changed it again. Just to make sure the water was all gone. Good Luck with it , Bordercollie

vhfarms

Yep.. brake problems.. pulled pto housing off and checked pto clutches.. they were fine.. Bottom of hydraulic oil pan full of debree, metal peices from the breaks. I think this is my problem.. I defenantly will clean it out good. John deere mechanic told me to put ten gallons of fuel it it and slosh tractor around then drain.. Put some cheap oil in run it and change it again, then put good oil in.. Gonna get into brakes monday, will keep you posted.. Thank you fellows for your info, greatly appreciated..