RTV 900 hydraulics

oldchuck

Hi,

This is my first post here. I just bought a 2006 RTV 900. I know the hydraulics on it are pretty puny, just enough to run the dump body, but the machine would be a whole lot more useful to me if it had some beefier hydraulics. I guess I would need to add a better pump and a bigger tank at least. I wonder if any of you has done any hydraulic upgrading of this sort. Is there an upgrade kit available somewhere? Just what would be involved? Thanks for any help.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new (to you) RTV.

I wouldn't underestimate the OEM hydraulics. If you're questioning it's capability to run the dump box, don't. It wouldn't even blink at dumping over 1000# in the box. I've only had it struggle once but I had over 3/4 of a ton in the bed.

oldchuck

Thank you bcz.

The dump body works fine. Brisk and seems good for a heavy load. I have been told, though, by my local Kubota guy that the dumper is about all you can power with the 900's hydro system. I would like to be able to put in another valve to power any number of tractor type attachments. I understand the small tank and pump will heat up too much if you put in another valve set up.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think I now understand and I'm surprised your dealer didn't mention it. There's different versions of the RTV. You didn't say but I'm going to guess you got the WS (worksite) model. There's a G (hmmm, or is it T? I don't recall off the top of my head) model that has a more robust hyd system and has ports for connecting other hyd implements. Take a look online at Kubota's website or talk to your dealer to see if that's the upgraded hyd system that you need.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
BCzoom is right . There is another model that has the extra hydraulic capability . I have the '05 WS and while it does have a place at the rear across from the muffler to disconnect the dump cylinder and hook up something else, It isn't for constant use hydraulic use such as in operating a motor. I GUESS it would work to operate a similar cylinder like on a log splitter though. open and close etc. But the hydraulic oil tank is small and they have been known to overheat and -in some cases even melt. I THINK the Turf model model has the added hydraulic features and was built for landscapers but I'm not sure. It is higher priced whichever one it is because that is why I didn't get it when I was buying. Good Luck , Bordercollie

Last edited:

oldchuck

It is a Worksite, camo version. It also came with a set of Mattracks, steel cab, console, winch, stereo, all the trimmings. Strangest vehicle I ever drove. Paid $17,000. Didn't get it from the dealer. I asked the dealer I bought my tractor from who I like and trust about the price, capabilities, etc. and got straight answers I think.

I can see where the hydraulic take off for the body cylinder is and don't really want to try hooking up anything else to it considering what I've heard about the small tank, overheating problem and so forth. What I'm wondering is if anybody has beefed up the equipment so attachments could be added.

zenchal26

If the problem is the oil getting hot why not get an oil cooler (like the kind that goes in front of the radiator on a car and plum it in.

Onfoot

My understanding (happy to be proven wrong!) is that the hydraulic system on the Worksite model (which I have) is part of the same system that lifts the box, but with an additional pump to power the hydraulic takeoff. But the hyd. tank is the same. Power is 5gpm at 2200lbs. which translates into about 5-6 hp, depending on efficiencies. (And I am not sure if that is 5gpm USA gallon or Imperial Gallon--if Imperial Gallon, the hp would be slightly higher.)

I was wondering if I could use the Worksite hydraulics to power my snowblower. But sadly, there is simply not enough HP.

zenchal26

So for the sake of argument, could a bigger pump be installed? I know its tight but looks like there is some room there. Or to get more costly and complicated, could a hyd motor be put on driving a bigger pump?

Onfoot

Maybe a bigger pump (if it proved installable) could increase the HP. But I think the laws of physics present a significant hurdle to using the current pump to turn a motor to turn a bigger pump. It would be the equivalent of using a small generator to power an electric motor to turn a bigger generator, turning 5 HP into, say, 25 HP. Neat if it could be done! I can think of lots of applications! :)

I have the installation instructions for our 900s utility valve upgrade.The part number for the kit is (K7561-9937-0). The kit consists of an aux tank, cooler, pump, and all necessary hoses. This set up ran our post pounder all summer without a hitch. It also states that if installing this kit you must have a High Mount air cleaner installed, and a hand throttle kit. I have seperate part numbers for everything if you need them.

Attachments

• aux tank.jpg
    aux tank.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 312
  • upgrade pump.jpg
    upgrade pump.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 305
  • oil cooler.jpg
    oil cooler.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 304

oldchuck

That's what I'm looking for. Thank you, Thomas. A hand throttle is on my ordering list already. I suppose you need the high mount air cleaner to get a little room in there.

Does that set up allow you to add a 3pt hitch? How have you been mounting your post pounder? Have you run any other attachments?

Onfoot

I have the installation instructions for our 900s utility valve upgrade.The part number for the kit is (K7561-9937-0). The kit consists of an aux tank, cooler, pump, and all necessary hoses.

Thanks for posting this info and the pics, Thomas. Much appreciated. Do you have the specs on the output of the upgraded pump? I presume pressure would remain the same at 2200lbs, but can you give flow rate? It would be great if there was enough HP potential to run my snowblower. I have googled the p/n but so far without success in finding a description of the upgrade.

Many thanks!

That's what I'm looking for. Thank you, Thomas. A hand throttle is on my ordering list already. I suppose you need the high mount air cleaner to get a little room in there.

Does that set up allow you to add a 3pt hitch? How have you been mounting your post pounder? Have you run any other attachments?

I haven't run across anything for a 3pt, I mounted our pounder on an engine hoist I modified to mount in the bed of our rtv. We purchased that machine specifically to run that pounder, we had over 6000 posts to drive last summer. They do offer a post hole digger, trim saw, and a few other attachments from Kubota. I know Kubota is proud of that High mount cleaner, but I think I've seen a couple of mods on this site that worked just as well.

I'm looking into the specs on the pump, but haven't had any calls back on that one. I'll let you all know as soon as I here back from someone.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Thomas,
That HST filter looks like it's ready for a change!
See, we look at everything in the pictures!

Onfoot,
I think you are asking allot of that little pump. You probably have 20+hp on the blower now and the diesel engine only makes about that to start with.
:sorry:
And as I understand hydraulics more each day, learning, they are not very efficient at certain tasks like driving motors for blowers. Takes a lot of GPM's. And GPM take lots of HP.

I should have my new Curtis plow mount fabricated this week and will get pics to show you.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Does that set up allow you to add a 3pt hitch?

It's been many years since that subject came up. Don't quote me and do some searches but as I recall, it was one of those "just because they built it, doesn't mean it works" items.

Onfoot

Thomas,
Onfoot,
I think you are asking allot of that little pump. You probably have 20+hp on the blower now and the diesel engine only makes about that to start with.
:sorry:
And as I understand hydraulics more each day, learning, they are not very efficient at certain tasks like driving motors for blowers. Takes a lot of GPM's. And GPM take lots of HP.

I should have my new Curtis plow mount fabricated this week and will get pics to show you.

In fact, I have 31hp on the blower. I had come to the same conclusion--but got my hopes up with the thought of putting in a more powerful pump. But again there is the law of physics--trying to turn a little horsepower into more horsepower is a bit like making a perpetual motion machine. Nice if you can do it! :)

I have to agree with the general consensus, just not enough umph in the RTVs to power a blower. I looked into high torque motors but even the smallest require 12+ gpm. I did get a call back from my local dealer. He's under the same assumption that only flow is increased, but couldn't give me any specs. I sent an email to Kubota corp, hopefully should here back from them within the week.
That was the one reason I looked at the Bobcat 2200- it has a pto output and 3pt, but stayed with the RTVs.

Last edited:
Just recieved this e-mail from Kubota corp. Here is a copy of it......

Thank you for your inquiry. The remote hydraulic system is a redundant system that adds a separate oil reservoir, cooler, and filter to power hydraulic tools independently. Both the RTV circuit and the remote tool circuit operate at the 5-6 gpm, 2,000 psi specs.

Best regards,
Kubota RTV Team.