Hour Meter Sync.

Deernuts

I have a 1140CPX. Anyone know approx. how many "hours" you get per tank of fuel? Kids left key on and added 6 hrs to my meter. Bad design in my opinion. Hour meter should only clock when engine running. I plan to disconnect meter and get actual hrs and meter in sync.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

On the RTV 900, it's about 2.3 hours per gallon of fuel.

The 1140 has a slightly larger engine so I'd guess it to be about 2.0 or 2.1 hours per gallon. Multiply that by your fuel tank capacity (which I don't know off the top of my head).

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I did this fix on my 900 to prevent the hour meter from running with just the key on. Think it was from this site that GrapeMan originally posted.

May just work on the 1140.

From GrapeMan

Hi I'm a new member to your forum. I have had my RTV for 15 months now (love it more everyday). I have been reading your forum for a year and a half. I find it very very interesting and informative. I think I have an answer to one of you guys questions. Running the hour meter only when engine is running. Two different times my key got left on adding 4 hours to my meter! Here is what I did.

1. Make up new 6" long wire with fuse holder+1/4 amp fuse, with femalespadeconnector on one end
On back of hour meter disconnect (red/yellow) wire and leave it disconnected
On the back of the Battery emblem is a lightsocket, there is a (white/red) wire (mine is marked #2) splice the new wire to this wire and connect it to the empty terminal on the hour meter.

I have run mine this way the last 20 hours with no problems.

The #2 wire (white/red) on battery indicator light,comes from the alternator to the battery indicator light and
is positive 14 voltsonly engine is running.

2810guy

Don't want to sound like a fuddi-duddi but if you have young kids you should really take the key out when your done. . .but then again I don't know how old your kids are and my dad never. . .never took keys out of any piece of equipment we had when I was growing up, and neither do I, so I have no room to talk, sorry. On my 900 I fill up about every 20 hours. Welcome to the forum. John

Deernuts

Thanks for the quick replies. I may wire the meter to the Battery light as suggested. Kids were using the lights to look at something in the barn for a few seconds without the motor running. They turned off the lights but forgot the switch. Thanks! Looks like this forum is going to be very helpful!

I plan to disconnect meter and get actual hrs and meter in sync.

Electrical connections are so easily defeated I wouldn't go by the hours shown on the meter but the actual machine condition. It may sound logical to unhook the hour meter but to me it is sheer dishonest behavior. On the other hand look at all the old famous race cars / muscle cars that claim to be original when they have gone through a " body switch " to display a perfect no hit unaltered structure. Does the end justify the means ? Depends on your outlook I guess.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
My 900 has at least an extra 80-90 hrs on the meter from the key getting bumped on and the one time grand daughters left it on a whole weekend.