help with 4020

ongaro

new to tractors
just bought a 1965 jd 4020 gas for $6000 runs well needs a bit of a tune up.has bucket 3pt and cab all parts seem to be there. owner sold it for his brother who is in hospital and he new nothing about it as well as i dont, do all 4020,s have a posi traction and how do you put it on ? is there a on line downloadable manual for it? with chains the tires rub frame can they be moved on axle to make clearence,23.1x30 tires (not original size i think)?what is the outside left shift lever do?what does the leverunder the seat do?
any help very much apreciated .

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new-to-you tractor.

4020's are great tractors.

I don't recall ever seeing a manual online (but haven't dug in depth). There are several available for sale, and they're worthwhile having. An operators manual should be relatively inexpensive. The full service manual will be quite a bit more.

You will want your serial # handy before ordering. In about 1965, some things changed and you'll want to make sure you get the correct manual. I think the cut-over serial # was 91000.

urednecku

ongaro, I'll also welcome you to the forum.

Greenwannabe, thanks for the link. I'm in process of getting some hay equipment, & was wondering where to find some manuals, but haven't had time to look yet.

Brutus

IF your 4020 has a diff lock, it would be on the floor board right about where your right foot would rest, were you sitting flat footed. If you use it, it will pop up as soon as the torque is off the two rear wheels. like in when you get on good ground and one wheel isn't trying to spin. I used to keep my foot on it because they'd pop out, leaving you in a lurch when you hit tough going again.
6 Grand isn't bad, if the tractor's pretty serviceable. Considering the loader and 3-pt. it was a good deal.
By outside shift lever, if you're talking the one on the left side of the instrument console, that's the one that engages the pto.

jd110

Yes the wheels can move on the axle - if they aren't stuck from not being moved for 40 years or so. Is your tractor a powershift transmission or synchro-range? If powershift, the lever on the extreme left is a clutch disconnect lever. If you are referring to left side on top of dash, that is rear scv lever for rear hydraulics. The lever directly under the seat is for seat height/forward/backward adjustment. On the right side under seat is a load and depth control lever for the three point hitch. In my experience with differential lock on the 4020, you release the diff lock by pressing on one or both brake pedals. The diff lock was not standard on early 4020's, it was optional.

ongaro

thanks to all for the info ,very helpfull.
Im learning alot
1 more lever to figure out, it is about 3 inches long ,looks more like a dial and sits directly below the stearing wheel,and has three settings?
thanks again .

Kansas4010

Sounds like the light switch. It will be a black dial with L B D on it. The L stands for light. They all come on full strenghth for field use. The B stands for brights. That is for highway use. Both front fender lights are on but the rear light dims to not blind people coming up behind you and the flasher comes on if equiped. D stands for dims all that does is turns off 2 of the fender lights for when you meet oncoming traffic.