Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Buying and Pricing Forum

Buying and Pricing Forum Post questions about buying or pricing here.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Big Dog is on a distinguished road
Default Recommendations 18-25 HP, FEL w/mid-mount mower

Just what the title says ............

Have a friend looking for a estate tractor. Eight acres of wooded and rolling terrain. Will be used for mowing, light FEL, and driveway maintenance.

Of course I like Kioti so until I get a call back from my dealer to see if they have a mid-mount subcontractor, they are out of the picture. The Mahindra packages (hydro, FEL, mower) I've priced are ....

1816 - 13,500
2216 - 15,000

I think a larger framed tractor is in order etal. Kubota B instead of the BX.

So give me some feedback on similar packages you have experience with and guesstimate.

My right to keep and bear arms should not be curtailed by the fears, phobias and paranoia of those who don't!
The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker.......
Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 PM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

I was thinking the New Holland TZ series until you mentioned larger frame.

BTW, why bigger? They get heavy and do more damage mowing compared to the smaller TZ/BX sized tractors.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
I was thinking the New Holland TZ series until you mentioned larger frame.

BTW, why bigger? They get heavy and do more damage mowing compared to the smaller TZ/BX sized tractors.
My opinion only Zoomer, his driveway is pretty long and steep. I'm thinking weight and clearance may benefit. His mowing will be minimal, less than half acre. I think he'll be using the FEL and a box blade a lot!

He may chime in, I sent him the link to keep an eye out. Heck he may even register ..............

My right to keep and bear arms should not be curtailed by the fears, phobias and paranoia of those who don't!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:48 PM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

OK. Sounds even messier. Box blade and FEL work like R1 tires, mower likes Turf. R4's may work but there's nothing like R1's for snow and other traction needed for heavy implement use.

Just thought of it... I have a Garden tractor in nice shape I could sell him for $500 to do his lawn, then he can concentrate the tractor usage towards more "work" as opposed to mowing. A MMM will probably set him back $1500 or so. He could buy my mower, a box blade and still pocket a few hundred compared to getting a mower for it.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
OK. Sounds even messier. Box blade and FEL work like R1 tires, mower likes Turf. R4's may work but there's nothing like R1's for snow and other traction needed for heavy implement use.

Just thought of it... I have a Garden tractor in nice shape I could sell him for $500 to do his lawn, then he can concentrate the tractor usage towards more "work" as opposed to mowing. A MMM will probably set him back $1500 or so. He could buy my mower, a box blade and still pocket a few hundred compared to getting a mower for it.

Good idea, he's using a beater now for the lawn and now finding out he needs a more "workable" machine. His place is a lot like mine .. rural and rough with great potential!

BTW .......... I could get rid of one of my 3 mowers too! Which one you want to place a bid on .............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 085388586421lg.jpg (39.2 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg Noname.jpg (32.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg NV137317_0_400.jpg (17.8 KB, 161 views)

Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

I saw a Massey Ferguson the other day that looked like it would fit the bill. Nice looking tractor. I gave it the once over looking for a price but it was not tagged. I'd price the Kubota B or BX, the NH, Kitoi and Massey for sure. Sit in all those seats, compare the prices and dealers and go from there.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

OhioTC18 will become famous soon enoughOhioTC18 will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Blue

If I remember correctly, the NH TZ series has been replaced with the 1020 and 1025. They fit the bill HP wise but they are a small frame, as in sub-compact. The next step up is a Boomer 30 at 28HP.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 PM

brettnleslie is on a distinguished road

The friend here. I just registered today and hope to learn a lot from this forum. Thanks for starting the thread Big Dog.

As far as the tractor vs. mower. Being able to mow with the tractor is a big selling point to my wife. She will not go for two different machines. It has taken me a year to finally talk her into buying one and she is now fully on board. I also really don't have the garage space for two machines.

I am also looking at budget in the purchase and trying to keep it to $20,000 or less. I have looked at the Kubota BX25 and have just started looking at the John Deer 2000 series. I've just starting looking and would like any recommendations.

I am looking for a backhoe and front end loader. My plan is for driveway maintenance and general landscaping needs and some snow removal. The backhoe is primarily for french drains, drainage ditches and culverts. And of course mowing. And other attachements as needed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I begin my research.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Brett
Old 03-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

OhioTC18 will become famous soon enoughOhioTC18 will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Blue

Brett, welcome to Net Tractor Talk.
I see you're keeping it in the garage. Unless you have one like Big Dog does, keep an eye on the ROPS. Does it fold? If not it may be too tall to get in the garage. JD doesn't post overall heights that I could find. Kubota ROPS only fold down after you get into a certain series. Do you have to remove the hoe to use a mower? I would because of weight and comfort on the operator. That's a lot of weight back there. Look at how hard it will be to do that. I remove my FEL every time I mow. But on most smaller tractors it only takes a few minutes.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:09 AM

Default Recommendations 18-25 HP, FEL w/mid-mount mower

Iím definitely looking at the foldable ROPS. I know the BX25 has it. That will be a definite with what I purchase.

The backhoe will definitely have to be an easy on-off. I will only have it mounted when I need to use it. Most of the time I will have a box blade on the back for driveway maintenance. While I will remove the hoe to do mowing, I donít want to have to remove the mower deck to use the hoe. I know on the BX25 the mower deck is easy to remove but I would just prefer to remove it for winter.

Help me out here a little; what does FEL stand for?

Thanks,

Brett
Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Stuper Modulator

Jim Slagle will become famous soon enoughJim Slagle will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum Brett!

FEL = Front End Loader

We have a BX2350 with R4 tires, a mower deck and fel and it does a fair job mowing. Not as smooth as a dedicated mower. The fel gets in the way though and it is best to drop it off before mowing. We use it for the tight places around the barn and turnouts, I have a 7' rear finish mower on the back of an L3400 for the larger areas.

Jim

Forums Forums .com +++ Net Boat Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++ Net Car Stop
Old 03-26-2011, 10:43 AM

Thanks. Now if feel dumb. FEL for front end loader make sense. I don't have a perfect yard and most is on a hill. Dog tear it up as well. I just need to keep it cut. I figured I might need to drop the FEL to mow. Are you happy with your BX. How is the maintenance?

Thanks,

Brett
Old 03-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Net Tractor Talk Brett!!!

I have a Kubota 2002 Grand L3010. Maintenance has been has been a breeze.

I've wanted a back hoe for awhile but still don't have one. I'm planning to rent a track hoe instead for the projects I have planned. Not as handy has having your own but it will work in a pinch, plus it saves on storage. If your budget gets tight that might be an option for you too.
Have fun tractor shopping. Sit in as many seats as you can before you buy. All makes are a little different and you'll find the one that suits you best. Good luck.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 03-27-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettnleslie View Post
I don't have a perfect yard and most is on a hill. Dog tear it up as well.
So, Dog is tearing it up, I'd propose Dog fix it. So Big Dog, what kind of mess have you been making there and what are you going to do to fix it?

Brett,

Re. a backhoe, are there others in your area that have one that may be able to lend (or rent) it to you when needed? I had considered a backhoe myself but just couldn't justify it as most every one of my friends/neighbors already have one and all I have to do is ask and the backhoe arrives (sometimes with operator, other times I do the work).
Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So, Dog is tearing it up, I'd propose Dog fix it. So Big Dog, what kind of mess have you been making there and what are you going to do to fix it?

Brett,

Re. a backhoe, are there others in your area that have one that may be able to lend (or rent) it to you when needed? I had considered a backhoe myself but just couldn't justify it as most every one of my friends/neighbors already have one and all I have to do is ask and the backhoe arrives (sometimes with operator, other times I do the work).
Ain't this dog, ha ha .................. It's three golden retrievers that just happen to live with the new member!

If I tore it up, I'd tear it up more .................

Old 03-27-2011, 11:13 AM

1. You can come a fix it up if you want Big Dog. I don't think I will have any luck with my dogs actually doing any work. They are only good a tearing things up.

2. No such luck on someone close with one. I too have thought about the value of having the backhoe and I do have many uses for one though.

Brett
Old 03-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Stuper Modulator

Jim Slagle will become famous soon enoughJim Slagle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettnleslie View Post
Are you happy with your BX. How is the maintenance?
First thing, the fel comes off and goes back on easily when you have a flat level surface. Anything else can be a challenge.

I think we have @200 hours or so on the BX. We've had a couple of problems. Two valve stems have gone bad and the mower deck froze in the down position. Our dealer fixed both the next day after we called.

My L3400 with around 100 hours had a power steering hose split and one of the safety switches failed.

The RTV (about 100 hours) has been flawless, just the normal service.

The tractors live in an enclosed tractor shed at the barn and the RTV is in the garage at the house.

Jim

Forums Forums .com +++ Net Boat Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++ Net Car Stop
Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM

Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about

look into the TYM 273?

if we cannot make you have fun we will make fun of you
Old 04-21-2011, 02:37 AM

EastTexFrank is on a distinguished road

Brett, there are just so many choices.

I've had a B2400 for almost 12 years and put close to 2,000 hours on it. It's been a little workhorse. Great machine. I don't know much about subcompacts, the BX type tractors, but the ones I've sat on at the dealer felt a little close to the ground for me. I don't know what the difference in ground clearance between the BX and the B is but it might be a factor in what you want to do.

From the sound of it, something in the 24 hp to 27 hp range would seem to be a good fit. After that it's just a case of putting your butt in the seat and seeing which one is the most comfortable for you. I know that some people find the pedal arrangement on the Kubota to be a little awkward (not me) and prefer the John Deere and then again, it might be that you think that you look best running around on a blue or red one. In the end, it all comes down to personal choice but if you stick to the major manufacturers I don't think that you will be disappointed in any of them.

Oh, and if you've never owned one of these little tractors before, you'll be absolutely amazed at what you can do with it.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 AM

richamor is on a distinguished road

I'll chime in on the BX25. I love mine. I really wanted something small and maneuverable. I have a ztr, so mowing is not an issue, but the Kubota can run the mower deck AND the rear PTO at the same time. Something to consider if you wanted to run a PTO powered catcher,vacuum system.

The backhoe comes off in about 2 minutes and goes back on in about the same time. And although I haven't taken it off yet, the fel looks to be about the same. A good level surface would be a must for this on about any tractor I think. The hoe and fel could use more power, but then both have done all I've asked so far. Sometimes it just takes a little longer.

You should be able to get the BX25 with the mmm and Kubota insurance for less than 20 grand out the door with 0% financing for 60 months.

For me, I always wanted a Kubota and we have 2 really good dealers around here. The others were really in the running but I did look.

Lots of choices and more than one really good one. Find a dealer you're comfortable with and ask lots of questions. Drive 'em around the lot and see what fits you and your needs.

And go from there.