Parking Brake Switch Replacement-RTV900

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Everything is so quite I thought I would post this- although most everyone knows how to do it. Here goes: If your parking brake light isn't lightening up on the dash, it could possibly be because the switch under the brake lever is shot. These have the thinnest rubber waterproof cover I have ever seen and they wear quickly-allowing water to enter and then the switch is history.I used a 5mm allen wrench and a forgotten size end wrench for the side bolts to remove the side panel by the brake lever. Then remove the rubber boot surrounding the brake lever. The little switch on my '05 had a phillips screw facing the radiator- not accessible from that side because of a brace unless you have an offset screwdriver- I just used a small pair of vice grips to loosen and remove the switch's mounting bolt and the little mounting bracket. In one of the pictures, you can see the permanent white plug with a prong which must be pushed down in order to remove the wire plug from the old brake switch plug which is black on mine. I took the "after removal" picture to show how the prong works. You could get a little working slack on this wire by cutting the cable tie holding it on the radiator side. I chose not to though. I tightened up the new switch and old mounting bracket with the vice grip and then put a dab of the dielectric grease (thanks peanut) on the plug and pushed them together. Turned the key, tested the parking brake to see it work (yes) and put back on the side panel and rubber boot. The '05 is sold and gone but I used a picture of the '11s side panel to complete the pictures. bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF3710.JPG
    DSCF3710.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCF3719.JPG
    DSCF3719.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCF3721.JPG
    DSCF3721.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
A couple of pictures I forgot.I thought a few might find these helpful. The switch was $10 or $15 - Do it yourself and save$ . Good Luck. bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF3714.JPG
    DSCF3714.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCF3717.JPG
    DSCF3717.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF3789.JPG
    DSCF3789.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 225

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Bordercollie, glad you posted this gret information with pictures! It sure has been quiet. I suppose the great weather may have everyone outside riding their RTVs. Hope the new XT is working great for you. Mine is starting to act up again with respect to temperature indication. It's very near the red on the gauge without any load. I checked the engine eterior temperature with a digital thermometer at the head temperature sensor and measured 151 degrees-F. Must be a gauge or sensor problem. Thanks again for the post on parking brake switch replacement.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Pepr. Yes indeed the weather was great. I broke up a place for some greens today- The ground was at least somewhat damp since Lee came through- better late than never I guess. Then I spent the late afternoon working on a switch panel for controlling my accessories on the RTV. It's not what I wanted but until I decide what works best and another payday, I am making up a wooden headache console and will go from there. On your temperature problem, have you got the dealer to order you a new gauge or sensor yet? My gauge stays right at the m in temp after it warms up. bordercollie

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Bordercollie, the dealer supplied a replacement temp gauge which I install one month ago. A marked changed was noted. Now that it has colled off, the gauge will get in the red while just tooling down a road without a load. So the next step is to request the dealer supply a sensor. I suppose the sensor is a thermocouple. If I new the design, I check that out with a DMM first.

vintovka

If your working on the parking brake be sure to readjust and tighten it up. Easier than chasing your rtv down a hill!!!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Thanks Pepr. Yes indeed the weather was great. I broke up a place for some greens today- The ground was at least somewhat damp since Lee came through- better late than never I guess. Then I spent the late afternoon working on a switch panel for controlling my accessories on the RTV. It's not what I wanted but until I decide what works best and another payday, I am making up a wooden headache console and will go from there. On your temperature problem, have you got the dealer to order you a new gauge or sensor yet? My gauge stays right at the m in temp after it warms up. bordercollie

GREENS ,,,,,, I WILL NOT SLEEP.....

CORNBREAD & GREENS .... DON'T COME NO BETTER

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
GREENS ,,,,,, I WILL NOT SLEEP.....

CORNBREAD & GREENS .... DON'T COME NO BETTER

Yea Two Guns, and add a little bowl of turnip roots,a sweet potato along with a piece of pork or some pork roast.... :) That on a cold winter day and a parking brake light switch that works... makes ya feel all better.. :) bordercollie

Mark.Sibole

Mine never had a rubber boot on it.
It does get dusty in there so i just give it a few good shots of WD 40 and hit it with the air compressor and blow out all of the gunk.
I do it about 2ce a year.One day I may replace it with a booted switch but im so used to not really needing the light i dont know why i even bother with it.
Maybe i get bored on them rainy days lol

David69

Collie,
More great info. Thank you for making that parking brake switch replacement easy. Mine needs to be replaced.

David