Neutral safety switch

clueless

look on top of the transmission,there will be a 4 bolt cover with 2 arms coming out of it,on the right side,air cleaner side, the switch is a round one with a weather pack plug ,white,i think it is hooked to it.

cov62431

You may want to make sure it is bad first. See if it starts in all gear selections or just in high, or low, etc. If so you may need to check the shims. Some of these switches are shimmed, so they will lose adjustment.

Mark.Sibole

Mine has been like that for a few years now I just gont give it any accelerator when i start it but im used to it by now

jborderieux

Replaced the switch and it still starts in High. Where are the shims and how do I adjust them.

It also jumps out of High gear. Is there a linkage adjustment?

cov62431

The shims are really thin "washers" that go on the switch prior to screwing it into the shift housing. Check your other gears also. See if it only starts in high, or if it starts in other gears also. I would adjust the linkage first so it doesn't jump out of high any more. The linkage adjustment could fix both problems at the same time. If it starts in M or R you will probably need to shim it. There are places to adjust at either end of the shift cable. I believe bordercollie had a post on how to do this.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Replaced the switch and it still starts in High. Where are the shims and how do I adjust them.

It also jumps out of High gear. Is there a linkage adjustment?

If you need a link to a google album with that adjustment scan, pm me and I will send it to you. The scan can be enlarged there and be seen clearly. Basically though its mainly done by adjusting the cable where the cable connects to the shifter .Make sure it stays in N good when doing the adjustment. There is a spring that keeps tension on it . (It is copyrighted info so I shouldn't post the scan directly on the forum.) bordercollie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the bump and it did help........Talked with the dealer mech today....A very good guy and KNOWS his stuff.......Glad I read the above about the shims first before talking to him. When I took out the old switch there were 2 washers in place. I thought, "what is going on?" and put one aside when I put the new switch in. God only knows what happened to the 2nd shim........instead of 2 washers when it only needed one. Hope you follow that........Anyway, the dealer advised to take out the new switch that isnt working, put the old switch in as a plug so nothing leaks out, then to hook up the new switch and hold it while turning the ignition switch to start. While turning the key, depress the little button on the switch to find the point where it works and fires up the starter motor. Seems they are all just a bit different and there is no standard to really go by and it is a trial and error adjustment with the number of shims required.
So, that is the way to test the switch to see if it is good or bad. By hand, push in the little spring loaded button in very small increments while holding the key to the start position. One finds that point, if it works and is good, and then that is the number of shims that one needs............lol....and this ol idiot threw away that extra washer that I couldnt see a need for........
Guess this is gonna be one of those I will get around to it when I do within the next couple of weeks as the shorting out of the switch is working just fine. What I really have to watch out for is to keep my Grandbaby "Princess" away from starting it when she is helping me do chores...........
Life is good..........God bless.......Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad it helped Dennis. Maybe the dealer has an extra laying around ... I bet those small things get misplaced in the shop too.. bordercollie

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
The neutral switch is a ground for the starting circuit when in neutral. Any other gear and the circuit is open and the start circuit will not work. This it a safety feature and should not be by passed.

BUT;
To test the switch, remove the wire from the neutral switch and ground it to the engine. If the switch was bad the engine should start now in any gear, not a good thing but easy to test.

Art454

You should get used to use your Emergency brake just in case it goes bad and its in gear and you try to start it.

Shit happens.