ARRESTORS & NEW MEMBERS

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
PLEASE ....

Don't forget the spark arrestors >>>
They will clogg up & slow your performance down.
By looking at the picture below, tell me how a engine can
work like this !!!!!

Most remove, some just clean >>>
What ever you do., do one or the other and keep it that way.

And since the sulfer rate has changed for the worst in diesel fuel.
Please keep a lubercating additive in your RTV. Add it to fuel.

Attachments

• Clogged Arrestor.jpg
    Clogged Arrestor.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,302

clueless

had one last week i did a full service on after the repairs, the screen looked just like that,but it wont plug again!

Fordman

Site Supporter
If you remove that is the pipe part that directs the exhaust toward the ground gone at that point ? Do you haft to fabricate another tail pipe ? Thanks

Fordman

Site Supporter
Ok thanks I'm gonna take a look At
One tomorrow evening , i don't have but 14 hrs on it though

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Ok thanks I'm gonna take a look At
One tomorrow evening , i don't have but 14 hrs on it though

Mine didn't have but about 13 hours, and mine looked bad >>>
That when I removed it and been running great ever since !!!

Attachments

• Darth Smiley.gif
    Darth Smiley.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,163

Fordman

Site Supporter
Ok , thanks i'll check mine out , it seems like my hour meter is mighty fast , maybe it's just me haha

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Ok , thanks i'll check mine out , it seems like my hour meter is mighty fast , maybe it's just me haha

DON'T LEAVE YOUR KEY IN THE "ON" POSITION..... IT RUNS YOUR TIME UP !!!!!

MANY HAS DONE IT , YEP, ME TO !!!

moosejaw

50 HOURS AND ALLS GOOD

NO CRACKS OR ISSUES WITH MY NEW SPARK ARRESTOR.

Attachments

• muff1.jpg
    muff1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,181
  • Muff3.jpg
    Muff3.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,168

cpsseals

Thanks for this post Two Guns. I went out to the garage and took the spark arrestor out and cleaned it. Going to do a mod when I get the time.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for this post Two Guns. I went out to the garage and took the spark arrestor out and cleaned it. Going to do a mod when I get the time.
How did you take your spark arrestor out?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Doc, Does your muffler have any bolts around the tailpipe? If so, just undo them and pull it out. That is how the new design is.Or,if is is like my early model '05, the spark arrestor was mounded on the tailpipe end, externally and was help on with a screw. Mine fell off when the screw that held it, came off. bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Doc, Does your muffler have any bolts around the tailpipe? If so, just undo them and pull it out. That is how the new design is.Or,if is is like my early model '05, the spark arrestor was mounded on the tailpipe end, externally and was help on with a screw. Mine fell off when the screw that held it, came off. bordercollie
Just checked and the exhaust on my RTV and the tailpipe is welded on (looks to be factory installed). Muffler in in place and very solid. Does not budge. No screw anywhere in the tailpipe. How can I tell for sure if the spark arrestor has been removed or not? I'm hoping it is still there so I can remove it and gain a little power. But so far I can't find it.

cpsseals

Just checked and the exhaust on my RTV and the tailpipe is welded on (looks to be factory installed). Muffler in in place and very solid. Does not budge. No screw anywhere in the tailpipe. How can I tell for sure if the spark arrestor has been removed or not? I'm hoping it is still there so I can remove it and gain a little power. But so far I can't find it.

I'm wondering if its and aftermarket exhaust. Did you buy it new or used? Can you post a picture?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Got it used just a week ago. It is an 06 RTV900.
I'll post a pic first chance I get.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

Doc, that sounds like an oem old style muffler where the spark arrestor just screwed on the end of the tailpipe. See if there is a tiny hole near the edge of the muffler's tailpipe. I don't have a picture of that but I would guess that it has been taken off or fell off like mine on the '05. I think it was a picture of it in the manual.
One thing you might try doing is looking under the bottom of the muffler you have . There should be an allen screw plug in it and I think it was brass in mine (to prevent rusting). Dig the mud out of it's head and spray what you can of the threads exposed with some penetrating oil- if you aren't going to crank for a bit, and let it soak. I used a small brush to help clean the area. Make sure that your allen wrench fits snugly so it won't mess up the head when turned. tap with a hammer to set it and remove the plug. ( I used the end of a boxed end wrench to hook it and give me leverage for turning the allen wrench. Or you could use a small sized piece of pipe as leverage. If it has been on for a long time it should help .You can see soot fall out of the hole when the plug is removed. I cranked mine after that and sort of revved the engine and got a lot of soot out. Afterwards, I replaced the plug . I don't know if that will help in your case but it may. good Luck, bordercollie

Last edited: