RTV & Tires

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Just a Note:

If you plan on any riding in mud that amounts to anything. You are going to have to get a set of grippers.
The ATV tires that come on many RTV's are good, but they WILL NOT grab the earth and pull. They are good tires for what they were made for, and that is it.
Myself, use them ( OEM / atv tires ) for summer use.

Just had a gentleman who hunts across the river, purchased a RTV. Loved the machine until he got behind a hill, and could NOT get a grip and come up it. He had some walking to do.

After pulling him up the hill, and him witnessed what gripper tires will and can do. He took the advise and made that step. He's happy again.

Don't be caught with your pants down. Use your head.

The RTV is a SUPER MACHINE. But it can only do what tools you have on it, to make it do it !!!!!

There are MANY brands and styles of gripper tires. Select and save yourself the headace >>>>

........ two guns

Attachments

• Pig Cookin.jpg
    Pig Cookin.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,531

vintovka

1+ on the gripper tires!!!. I about wasted first 4 years of RTV ownership waiting for my factory "turf" tires to wear out. Was the reason i hung a 6000# Warn winch on it as i was getting stuck every 5 minutes. NO -more!! Having Gripper type tires makes all the difference. I was concerned they would wear out fast as i do have to drive on asphalt 2 miles a day to go get the mail but they show no wear and the little bit of noise and vibrations is very acceptable.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Ta heck with tires.....WHEN'S SUPPER?!?!?!!

Ain't life good !!!!
We might not do much down here in Cajun Country. We might catch a few fish, kill some gators, bust some hogs, try out some big 'ole bucks.
But we going to eat , yea !!!!
:thewave:

Attachments

• Catfish.jpg
    Catfish.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,488

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Tell us about your gripper tires: what brand?

I am running ITP 589's on the RTV.

If one needs them, purchase them in 25 or 26 inch. DON'T get
the 27 inchers...... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• RTV Ramsey Winch.jpg
    RTV Ramsey Winch.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,493

vintovka

Pulled up my 35% grade across the creek just a few minutes ago. NOT possible with turf style tires (and a winch) . When the Chinese mined my creek back in the 1850s they left just bedrock and loose shale chips behind. Tough to get traction

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
KENDA BOUNTY HUNTER K585

Im running Kenda Bounty Hunter K585 26x11x12 on my RTV1100.
The ITP 589 will not cut it on the RTV 1100 - weight rating is less
than 500 LBS - Kenda's are 1080 LBS
My RTV 1100 weigh's 2580 LBS

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
WEIGHT

Just go to Kubota and look at your model spec sheet, surprised you never did that before.

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
Just go to Kubota and look at your model spec sheet, surprised you never did that before.

Yep, first time there. Never would have thought it weighed that much. Sure doesn't feel like it when I pick it up... :wink:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Im running Kenda Bounty Hunter K585 26x11x12 on my RTV1100.
The ITP 589 will not cut it on the RTV 1100 - weight rating is less
than 500 LBS - Kenda's are 1080 LBS
My RTV 1100 weigh's 2580 LBS

They said that too on the RTV 900 we have here. And we been running
the 589's for a few years.
There is a contractor down here that runs three 1100's. He works the
snot out of his machines. Running all on 589's on his units. Matter of fact,
he has wore-out two set already.
They might have some sort of load limit on the sidewalls, that, I don't doubt. But as far as durability and reliability. I would have nothng else for grippers.

The Kenda Bounty Hunter is a good tire. Just don't have the lugs I need
for traction in the swamps.
Kenda makes a K538 Executioner Aggressive Mud/Snow Rear Tire that looks kinda aggressive.

We have loaded down the back of our RTV with Wild Hogs and deer. No telling how much the machine weights. RTV full of wild hogs and pulling a trailer loaded down. No problem.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Like Two Guns , I had used the 589's on my "05 RTV as a winter tire.( Put back on the WS when I sold it) I ran them almost slick on the front. The back ones still have tread but have had a tough life with all the heck I give them. I first noticed a bulge on one of them when I went to the storeroom and was looking at putting them back on the RTV with some new fronts for the winter again.
I also need aggressive tread so will either go back with the 589's or possibly that K538 Two Guns mentioned but they also have no better weight rating than the 589's we have used . It just gets so muddy that normal ATV tread won't cut it for me . I like the looks of the $urefoot but I understand that the aggressive 25 and 27" makes for "some kind of ride." Decisions decisions and $ $ $ and $ for those anyway. ...... bordercollie

Last edited:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
The ITP 589's is a great tire. And the ride is smooth for a tire of this style.
I have personally put these to the test. And they dig, there is no doubt about it.
I would advise one to get 26" size.
Wide-open, extra-deep 2-stage 11/8-in. lug and super-aggressive, self-cleaning tread pattern for unmatched traction.
6 Ply Construction tire. The tire weight is lighter than most other gripper tires, less weight mean less horsepower loss, easier steering, less wear and tear on your drivetrain.

The Kendra K538 also has6-ply rating with a new 2+2 casing for increased puncture resistance.
This tire also has the 6 ply rating with a new 2=2 casing for puncture resistance.

I would not be scared to purchase and run the Kendra K538 tires only if I could ride a RTV with a set on them. I believe they would pull and perform just as good as the 589's.
They are priced better than the ITP 589's.

The only thing that would bother me is the ride. Kendra rubber is very much harder !!!
Yes, there is some tires out there on the market that is tuff and have a higher load limit. But they will BEAT TO DEATH your machine and you.

Attachments

• Kenda Tire.jpg
    Kenda Tire.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,353
  • ITP 589.jpg
    ITP 589.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,348

Mark.Sibole

I use the Grim reapers on mine and have had no problems on hills in the mud or deep snow
http://www.pureoffroad.com/gbc_grim_reaper_atv_tires.htm

GBC-Grim-Reaper-ATV-Tire.jpg

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I do believe there are many good brand of tires.
Getting the right tire for you depends on your application you use your RTV
for.

We have two sets, the OEM / ATV tires, that came with the machine. And the ITP 589's.

We run the ATV tires during dry/ summer weather. 589 during the wet/ hunting weather.
Down here, our swamps are so bad, muddy, and would not go anywhere if we didn't have the very aggressive tires we have, or something simular.

Our ATV tires are worthless in the winter, but fair during the dry weather, plus it saves on the wear of the other set when not needed. And we never run the 589's on the blacktop. When in "off hunting season", when Mrs. Two Guns and myself run in gravel, up and down the Mississippi River levees. We use the ATV tires .>>>>

My next set of summer tires will probobly be something like the Bighorns, that would a great all purpose tire. Or the Bearclaw radial, or Mudlites.
These tires will serve me well enough for jumping into the swamps & fields during the dryer weather and still give me great performance when it does get a rain or gets slick.

But in the winter, we run these machines in places one can hardly walk.
So in the bad months, I have to stick with very aggressive tires.

It's all about what you use your machine for.

Mark.Sibole

Mark, How much air do you put in your Grim reapers? I read on your link that they are 8 ply radials. Do you have any problems with them riding low since a radial? Thanks , bordercollie .:tiphat:

I run mine at 12 lbs unloaded and if im hauling heavy loads (firewood) ill set the backs to 15 LBS.They ride great both ways and are a solid tire.At the 12 LBS i see no speed loss on them and they look like they sit well (as do not look under inflated)