Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM

tundra is on a distinguished road
Default newbie

i know i will probally get laughed at over this one. ok here goes, i just recently purchased 4.5 acres, terrain is rough in some spots smooth in others, my question is what size tractor would be good for this amount of land? for general mowing, grading, moving dirt, spreading dirt.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Hi tundra!!! Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. Glad you found us and posted your question.

Don't fret, we would not laugh at you. Many of us were in the same place as you just a few years earlier. I was one of them. I had no idea what I needed or what all the chores would be. I just wanted a mower that would do it all. Seemed easy nuff to me. Little did I know ......

These compact tractors are so capable of getting the job done that you could go with a 22hp to 27hp and be able to handle all the tasks you mention above. I have 50 acres and started to go with the 24hp Kubota offering (the 2410). This was a few year back. I still think that would have done the job for me. I sat in as many seats as possible and moved up to a 30hp Kubota. For the heavy lifting and brush hogging on my back-40 I'm glad I did. the smaller tractor would have got the job done but just would have taken more time to do it.

Questions you will need to answer: What tires do you buy with your tractor. They offer turf, Ag (R1's) and Industrial (R4's). Ag's are best in the rough, they are the classic tractor tire. Turfs are best for mowing as they are least likely to tear up your yard. Industrial R4's are a compromise. you can mow with them and if you are careful you do not tear up your yard, plus they will do pretty good in the rough. Not as good as Ag's but much better than turfs.

Mid mount mower or Rear finish mower? Mid mount is a little more expensive but is better for maneuvering around 'stuff' in your yard. It also hurts as far as ground clearance for when you go to the rough part of your property, but it is removable.

Rear finish mower is easier to hook up and take off, does not hurt your ground clearance and it's a little cheaper.

One of the most important implements you will buy for your tractor is the Front end loader. When I started my tractor shopping I had seen them but had no idea what they were called and had no clue that I needed one. Boy oh boy did I need one. I had planned to buy the tractor, mower and bush hog and then get the front end loader later, as I did not feel I really needed one at the time, nor could I afford it.

The wise folks who were in my shoes prior to me said that might work but was not the smartest thing to do. Buying the front end loader with the tractor will save you a few hundred dollars when purchased together. So, I shopped around. Kubota had a model clearance sale going on and I used the budget stretcher and bought the front end loader with the tractor. Wow was I impressed with what it could do. It added so many capabilities to the tractor that I was in awe. The guys gave me GREAT advice and I was so glad I took it. Since then I've used the FEL to push over trees and brush, to lift the front end to get un-stuck, to carry all kinds of stuff, to water newly planted trees, added a clamp on hitch to move trailers with ease and precision, added clamp on forks to carry all kinds of BIG things from point A to B, and lots more things that can't think of now.

Please bare with me in that I use Kubota in my examples most as that is what i am familiar with. When i was shopping I really wanted John Deere. I shopped them and Kubota. The JD dealer simply would not deal. He set a price and stuck on it. No breaks no matter. I simply could not afford that so I kept looking. Still love their tractors and thankfully all JD dealers are not like that. Plus we have plenty of other quality tractor brands. When I bought JD, Kubota and New Holland were considered the big three. Now days the lines are not near as defined. Mahindra had come into it's own and Kioti and Massey Ferguson have awesome compact tractor offerings. Lots to choose from. Sit in as many seats as you can to get a feel of them all. Ergonomics make a big difference when you'll be spending a few hours on it every week doing chores. Plus pay attention to the dealer and the service department. You want a dealer who can take care of you when you needed it. who will go the extra mile. There are plenty of them out there wanting to earn your business if you give them the chance.

Good luck shopping and please report back with what you find and what you decide on.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 AM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Tundra - Welcome to the forum!

Hard to add on to what Doc posted. Not sure how big you are but in the tractor size you're looking at, some are more ergonomically designed for people under about 180-200 pounds. Once you get over that size, the controls are hard to get to or worse, can be inadvertently bumped by the side of your leg or other body part. On my tractor, when I'm dressed in winter gear (so I'm more bulky), my right leg in particular bumps into the control for the loader.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 AM

urednecku is on a distinguished road

Doc and BC both pretty much said it. You will never be sorry if you include a FEL (front end loader.) If you do get a FEL, you NEED 4 wheel drive. Yea, lots of people say you don't have to have it, but if, no when, you put a big load in the bucket, it takes that weight off the rear tires. No breaks on the front, so you have lost control of the tractor, especially on rough ground or any incline. Plus, I feel the 4wd front end is stronger than the 2wd front end.
Also, if you find a deal with 2 close sizes, go with the larger one. I've never wished for a smaller tractor, but @ times I do wish I had a larger one.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

good post Red, and I agree 100%.

I've gotten bad about assuming but I do assume 4wd on any of these compact tractors. Especially when you say you have some rough terrain you want to manage.

I had a couple 2wd older tractors prior to buying my Kubota. 1st was a 52 Ford 8N. Cool little tractor but it left a lot to be desired. Any of todays 22 to 25 hp tractors w/ 4wd could outwork my old 8N. I know the 4wd front ends sure do look stronger just like Red said. Go 4wd w/ a FEL and you will be one happy camper.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 PM

mkyle is on a distinguished road

Newbie, I was in the same boat as you. Sat on and looked at a lot of tractors. Bought a Massey-Ferguson GC2600 with the FEL and MMM. Have had it going on 3 years now and it has been a workhorse. The guys are right, get the FEL. Massey has a lot of sales and I got the FEL free with the tractor and bought the 60" MMM. No problems other than a stuck shift when I first got it, dealer fixed it the next day. Other than routine maint, no problems. The only problem I have is getting my wife off of it! Massey was offering good deals, still see them advertised such as 0% financing. Plus it was cheaper than a JD or a Kubota. Take your time looking and don't be afraid to haggle a bit on the price. I did on mine