RTV proves itself ...again

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have been real busy on the farm. We are still feeding though not as heavy as this winter. Even though it is warmer now.... everytime I go past they look for their handout well over 200 of 'em in different pastures..-- and if not them then the old horse or the barn cat ( well it is sweet at least) or another critter... anyway, my nerves have been on end- figuring every minute with no room for mistakes or other problems... Like last night after working all day and part of the evening in the mud on the waterline till after 9:30, the cows discover the electric fence is off and get out. They were still confined but the green grass on the "other side is always better" they think. Well, I am with the RTV anyway, so I zip down there with my work lights and splice the fence in no time. It is sure nice to have a maneuverable work horse that can turn and go through the mud lickedy split..
Then, last week, I am desperately trying to finish spraying the pastures but it has either been too windy or wet. I am lucky that the cotton hasn't been planted yet at least. So last week , I am pushing it and decide to try and spray the remaining 60 acre pasture. On my first pass, I suddenly get in water with the tractor and before I can get out I am stuck. Not just stuck but stuck ,stuck ... with a 300 gallon trailer full of spray costing $250... I go to a dead tree and try to gather enough big limbs to rock out but it is a no go... then I decide to ditch the trailer and get out with the tractor alone.. barely I get out in 4wd with like new tires- yep, stuck down to the hitch.... Get home on the tractor and run to get the old faithful (RTV), 2 log chains besides the one I keep on the machine and decide to go pull out my trailer... It worked!! The RTV in L and 4wd did a great job. I use the first chain hooked in a V to the axle and used the 2 remaining 20' each chains to get as close to firmer ground as possible and proceeded to pull the heavy trailer backwards out of the bog, I just towed it to a high spot, got out a small jack and a board for it's support , jacked it up hooked to the RTV's receiver and towed it home a mile down the road. Got home cold and looked like a mud pie from my previous, fruitless efforts, just after dark... but I did get home . This RTV and the one before , has saved me more than a few times and I sure am proud I have one of these fine machines..
The pictures don't do justice to the bog.. It is much more foreboding in person. Also here is a picture of the Blackwater Evolution tires that added determination to the pull, the way I hooked the chain as to not mess up the bumper and a picture of the trailer both taken in the safe zone. Yep, I sure like the RTV . I think I would quit farming if not for it :) :drive2: Thanks to the Lord, bordercollie

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 256
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Mark.Sibole

good work.I took all of the ballast out of mine and went through the peoperty checking fire wood prospects.Needless to say I should have left the ballast in.I didnt burry it but it was slow going in 2 foor of heavy wet snow.Cant wait for spring.

Heatwave

Good report, BC ... glad your RTV was there for the rescue.

Lemme ask you a non-RTV question, please: do you plant Roundup-resistant cotton? If you do, do you find that deer like to eat the plants?

I never knew a self-respecting deer to eat a cotton plant heretofore, but they seem to love these Roundup-resistant crops up here in Northern Mississippi.

Just a question out of idle curiosity.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow. Impressive. Good work BC. :tiphat: :clap: :clap: :clap: Low gear in these RTV's is indeed very impressive. :thumb:

Mark.Sibole

Dont know but I may have to see if shes single and wants to get married.I need a lot of work done here but i got fat and lazy over the winter.Ill feed ya and house ya BC if interested send me a PM with your interests to see if we are compatable lmao

Mark.Sibole

and Yes Perkosets and morphine is kicked in full force tonight weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
BC

Well done on getting you and your equipment unstuck. Seems that successful farmers/ranchers use their 'smarts' and stick-to-itivness to get the job done. Makes me wonder how the X-Generation is going to handle the trials of everyday life if they are being taught now to wait on the government to come by and pull them out of their troubles. Again BC, nice job and thanks for the pictures too.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Great work bordercollie......

Our RTV's have served us well !!!!

I can't give all the credit to the Kubota RTV on this one. Bordercollie had the thinking cap on and made it work. The way you used the machine was
super.

My hat goes off to you my friend !!!! :tiphat:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the replys my friends. One reason for the hard backward pull was that the hitch acted like a plow since it has the adjustable height hitch. Anyways, the RTV sure did save me... I just didn't trust the tractor to try..
Heatwave, we don't grow cotton or row crops but our neighbor leases the bil's land and plants cotton on some of it. Them we let cattle graze the remains after harvest in the Fall. This year it is corn and soybeans.Cotton will be on the North side of the road. beans and corn on the south. I can say that the deer love Round up ready soybeans though.. Last year, you could see where they went around and ate on the rows edges and progressed inward. The gov gave them a special permit to shoot 'em and they did so to around 35 I hear. In that case, they have to stay where they fall........buzzard bait....I mentioned cotton in my rant about spraying because anything with 2 4D in it is a threat to cotton and such. I can't spray once it is coming up.Then out comes the weedwiper with round up and the RTV again to save the day- wiping the persistent weeds. :) bordercollie

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 223

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
This time of year you discover real quick where the water decides to collect and make little swampy areas. Nothing worse than messing up a nice hay field trying to lime or fertilize it. Lots of fields waiting to be plowed till they dry out this year. Last year guys had a lot of them already tilled and planted at this time. Then it went to drought when we needed rain. Good deal on the sprayer rescue BC. Sometimes you can float a lighter piece in areas where a tractor just wants to wallow and sink. Lots of chains to pull from a dry area is the only way to do it.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hat off to YOU there Border Collie......Glad that your mind is buried in your work and the mud and not in problems. Some folks tend to do it just the other way around. As per typical....YOU do it the right way by thinking and DOING..........God bless.....Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hat off to YOU there Border Collie......Glad that your mind is buried in your work and the mud and not in problems. Some folks tend to do it just the other way around. As per typical....YOU do it the right way by thinking and DOING..........God bless.....Dennis

Thanks also Muleman and Dennis. I found a crawfish mud burrow sticking up in the pasture just yesterday when I was spraying.
My life has changed drastically this past year starting last May 2nd. Some long time members may remember, all the projects and fun I had at Ark working with my Mom on the old house, now mine.- . I have to say that it has been the hardest year of my life and I must have projects. Without Him and the Promise, I would be washed up, kaput,finished . It is still tough but am making it ,as I must ... Two Guns is right on with his advice he gave then.
My next project is to finish the 12 v cattle sprayer (walk under) that I started last year and then start spraying with the RTV . Thank you and God Bless ya'll too. Bordercollie