Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 AM

GreenWannabe is on a distinguished road

For serious rock removal, a rock bucket for the front loader might be a real help. And a backhoe to dig out the bigger ones. See how we love to spend your money?

I've just received my top and tilt cylinders for my DK45SE cab tractor from Brian (MtnViewRanch), through his website at www.fitritehydraulics.com. And if (or more likely when!) I find a rear blade like his, I will want to get a pair of rear diverter valves from him as well. I think four rear valves may approach being enough, but then again I may actually need more. And that's despite my dealer telling me he has never seen anybody who needed more than two! I don't guess he has seen top and tilt cylinders in operation before, but then he sure likes the rollover box blade I picked up in February, and the Woods quick hitch I ordered through him.

Fred
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenWannabe For This Useful Post:
RedAnt (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 AM

RedAnt is on a distinguished road
Style: RedGray
Wink Thanks

Thanks for the info, and the link to the hydraulics. I was actually curious about those items, but figured it was something I could deal with when I stop hemorrhaging money.

I really don't need the help spending at the moment. I feel like am running full afterburner on my money supply.

The worst part of all this is that by the time I have they money to purchase the tractor, I'll already have all my stuff moved. Moving in with truck and trailer, I'm beating up all my possessions bouncing through the potholes at an indicated 0 mph. Once everything I care about is moved (next weekend) I will just be riding my dual sport motorcycle out to work. I'm buying all this to prep for the future, but it would have helped me more in the past than any foreseeable time. I almost hope the truck has problems so that I need the backup snow removal.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Maybe you can find a local farmer with a tractor who would give your road a once over prior to your moving in. Probably be worth the cash and you could see how they did it, and how their implements work for the job.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 06-20-2013, 04:44 PM

One restless night I did a little more googleing around for pricing and more info on the TR3. I found a number of very relevant posts about other people maintaining roads in VT, NH, & MA. Oddly MtnViewRanch seemed to have helped all of them (which is impressive).

I followed his lead on Land Plane Grading Scrapers, and read other forum discussions on building and eventual purchase, which lead me to Befco. Turns out my local Kioti dealer is also a Befco dealer, so it's looking pretty good to do a single purchase, for a DK40 and Befco plane. I also found out the dealer does rent tractors, just not a DK40 like I'm interested in. They have a 20+HP Yanmar rental. So that might be an option for me to do a little work on the road with an under-powered tractor. It seems like I could learn something by doing this exercise. I also found a different local rental center for dump trailers, so I could rent enough equipment to haul in road mix AND spread it (assuming the road mix delivery cost is more than the trailer rental). While not testing the DK40, it should provide some confirmation that my ideal tool set can functional handle my road.

Unfortunately I still have to finish my move this weekend. But I did get most of it done last weekend. The really good news is that the area housing market seems to be picking up, so my delay in putting my old house on the market my be fortuitous. This all has the potential to make my tractor buying hurt less than my pessimistic scenarios I have been playing out in my mind.

In all my searches I seem to find "another useful attachment". I can now see uses for a brush hog, rock bucket with pinching thumbs. Those attachments would make clearing the scrubby brush, rocks and old logs very easy. I also think I found a neighbor with a rear backhoe. As long as it's a reasonable size and he keeps it, that would be really handy to ensure good draining in the few questionable areas. I can see watching Craigslist for deals, this tractor stuff is addicting... :0
Old 06-20-2013, 04:53 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Maybe you can find a local farmer with a tractor who would give your road a once over prior to your moving in. Probably be worth the cash and you could see how they did it, and how their implements work for the job.
I do have a local friend who purchased a big JD a few years ago. He doesn't live that far away and could take backroads the few miles to my place. I haven't talked with him yet, because I'm didn't want to drag him in if I didn't need to.

It is possible that he could jump at the chance to to play on his new tractor. I got the feeling he didn't have a lot of work for it, just wanted to replace his grandparents old tractor with a shinny new one.

A co-worker also has a Kabota L3710 ( I think). If we could figure out a way to trailer it, that may also be an option for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 PM

EastTexFrank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAnt View Post
I do have a local friend who purchased a big JD a few years ago. He doesn't live that far away and could take backroads the few miles to my place. I haven't talked with him yet, because I'm didn't want to drag him in if I didn't need to.

It is possible that he could jump at the chance to to play on his new tractor. I got the feeling he didn't have a lot of work for it, just wanted to replace his grandparents old tractor with a shinny new one.

A co-worker also has a Kabota L3710 ( I think). If we could figure out a way to trailer it, that may also be an option for me.
This has been an interestiing thread. Getting your friend to bring over his L3710 and letting you play with it should give you some idea of the best size for your needs. I have the L4740 and it about perfect for work and play on my 13 acres. My usual advice on sizing tractors is to decide on what size you think you want and then go up at least one size.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:28 AM

Talking Good News...

Good News, at least I hope it is.

I expect to have a Kioti DK40SE Cab delivered around 1000 today. Followed in a week or two by the Befco BGS-072. After hand repairing road washout twice in the first 3 weeks of moving in, I felt that perhaps my conservative "wait until the old house sold plan" might have other options. I had decided what to buy, and was really just suffering through the bumpy road waiting to completely repair and market the old house. I thought perhaps it was worth running the loan on the off chance they would approve it while I was still carrying both houses. Turns out that the lending system is still more lenient than I expected and I was quickly approved.

So here I sit, after weeks of heat and record rainfall, in absolutely gorgeous weather wondering how I path I am on led me here.I still have a days worth of work to complete at the old house and I have to list it someplace. But mere hours from now I will have most of the tools needed to repair the road to my new place that has been so great to me thus far. I should probably feel some buyers remorse about the debt I just accepted and wonder if I made the best choice. However due to feedback from this forum I feel confident that I chose a viable solution for my needs.

So I am compelled to thank you all once again for your input and collective experience on which I have leaned. I might have done this without you, but never with the confidence that I now have about this decision.

Later on today I will pay you all back in the customary way, with new tractor pictures. By now you must all be sick of the 1000 words that I type here in moments when I just needed a sanity break from my still evolving housing transition.

I still need to wait for my grader attachment to start solving my road problems, but at least I can start on cleaning out a tractor sized spot in the garage. What passed for an unfillable warehouse of a garage is currently packed wall to wall with crap that I have to ask why I bothered to physically move here.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 AM

Congrats RedAnt!!!!!! Do you feel like a kid at Christmas waiting for the tractor to be delivered? I know I did.

Other Fun Forums:
Old 07-13-2013, 02:20 PM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Congratulations!!

It still didn't happen unless we see pictures of it
Old 07-13-2013, 10:30 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Congrats RedAnt!!!!!! Do you feel like a kid at Christmas waiting for the tractor to be delivered? I know I did.
Was the fact I posted at 3am a give away? Yes, I'm still getting used to the fact that I own the new house. Now that I also have a tractor to work the land, it's kind of like I have some double life. I really can't wait until I have the old place sold and can focus my attention here.

Anyway. I've taken pictures, and I'm now setting them up to post. Stay tuned.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:00 PM

So I'll do this out of order and give you the tractor pictures first. Then I'll post the pictures I should have in the first post, those of the road I intend to work. Compared to a lot of dirt roads mine is really not as bad as you might already have pictured. Even when I look at the shots I took I think perhaps I just need to man up and live with the bumps. But I don't need to, at least once my new orange toy has it's grader scraper attachment!

I'm leaving my wife a little off kilter for tonight. New camera. I'm fighting the cameras sensor to rotate things, and the result seems to be that everything but the web browser thinks the images are correctly oriented. I'll update my scripts when I have more time and then post the road pictures, since most of them are sideways...

Last edited by RedAnt; 07-13-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:15 AM

I went to TSC to pick up Supplies for the new garage guest.

I had been thinking about something like a grub hoe sized implement that could help trench wet areas, break up packed road, and hook under rocks during removal. While at TSC I found and bought a Sub Soiler, which appears to be exactly the tool I was thinking about. Once home and reading some reviews it seems to have a major flaw, in that there is no shear pin. So it sounds like I could damage tractor or sub soiler.

I haven't connected it yet, but I expect that it really will do what I wanted it to do. Although I'm a little concerned that it could damage the tractor if I'm not careful with it. I was hoping that it might give me something useful to do with the tractor until my grader scraper arrives.

I suspect there are others here who have tried this. Any sage advise?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:27 AM

Nice looking tractor!!!!!! That'll get the job done. Good to see you have a helper there too.

Other Fun Forums:
Old 07-16-2013, 03:45 PM

urednecku is on a distinguished road

SWEET!!
Quote:
I suspect there are others here who have tried this. Any sage advise?
I you have what I think you have, and are doing what I think you are talking about....go slow, keep it in 2wd, and be ready to hit the clutch the instant you feel it want to stall.
Start out with the subsoiler just scratching the soil, then a little deeper at a time until you get the feel of how it pulls & would act if it hit something solid. That is....IF you really wanna take that chance!
The old plows often had a "trip spring" on 'em. (No, sorry to say I don't really know much about them, but have a couple old ones laying around.)
Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 AM

Red face Sub soiler

Well I have spent a few hours with the Sub Soiler. It does a great job plucking rocks from the roadway and trail areas. I was able to dislodge rocks at little larger than beach ball size with very little damage of the surrounding area. In a little over an hour I pulled a dozen rocks.

My technique is to dive the blade a foot from the rock and try to get below it. Some repositioning is needed to get to a good spot. I have had to reposition and dig each side on occasion. I have avoided anything large, as I wanted to start small.

After success with rocks I tried stumps. I chose poorly. The first stump was in my way, so I took a shot at pulling it. It was oak, split trunk at the ground (10 inch and 5 inch) about 7 years of decay, but less than a foot from granite ledge.

I loosened around it and broke off parts of the root, and eventually pulled the smaller root ball. The first night I retreated around dusk, I went back tonight and attacked a second time. I came from different ways and also ripped off roots from each side. I did a lot of damage to the root, but it held its ground. I thought I had it, and heard a nice wood ripping sound only to pull up a somewhat bent sub soiler. Again I retreated, this time with wounded.

The damage to the sub soiler is not critical, and somewhat expected when not being used as intended. The long down bar now has a slight bend, enough to buckle the paint. I pulled more rock after, so it is still functional for my purpose.

The stump wins a second time. It didn't come out unharmed, but neither did the other combatant. I like to think that I am being smart and retreating in order to return to the fight later, but this time I might wait a while to battle again. I want to have this tool for driveway use in case I need to remove rock for the grader scraper.

It seems to do what I expected it would for rock extraction, not so much for stumps.

When I have time I will take a photo of the bent sub soiler.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:13 AM

Default Rookie mistake...

I was a little delayed by a newbie error. I returned home with my new implement and realized that I needed a top hitch pin and lynch pins to connect my new implement. Another day and trip to TSC and I was ready to play.

Anyone new to tractors take note that you will need this stuff, in addition to the diesel fuel can and grease gun.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM

Sounds like yer havin' fun. A stump can be a pain...some don't have any tap root at all, then ya get one that'll have a loooooooong one. Work all the way around, then try to get a chain around it & try pulling straight up with the 3ph or FEL. If you use 3ph, chain in a way it pulls with BOTH arms. Same on FEL.
The Following User Says Thank You to urednecku For This Useful Post:
RedAnt (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 PM

Thumbs up

I have not looked into any chains yet. The dealer welded on nice chain hooks on the bucket. Eventually I will get a spare chain from my dad or figure out what I need to buy.

I didn't expect to be doing tree work, but I appear to have picked that fight now, and a formidable adversary.

I have tried to break the roots around the stump. I remember doing that for oaks with my dad's case backhoe. I never used a chain before, so thanks for the explanation. When I try again, I will consider a chain option. you
Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 PM

Check yard sales & flea markets for chain. I had to stop going to yard sales several years ago 'cause I was about to go broke buying chains!

OH YEA, but first check the prices @ the hardware store or TSC, etc, so you'll have an idea what new ones cost. it'll help you not pay too much for a used one.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM

I picked up about 10' of chain today at a yard sale.

My BEFCO BGS-072 grader scraper was delivered on Wednesday. I got home around 9:45pm from painting at my other place and found a new lawn ornament. Just like a kid a Christmas, I said hi to my wife and grabbed the tractor keys. I figured out how to hitch it up and started dragging the driveway. About 90 minutes later I had take two 1/3 mile trips out and back, collected a couple buckets full of rock. The driveway looked great.

The next morning I walked the driveway and tossed the rock greater than 3". When I left on the motorcycle it was a little loose, but felt fine in the car. We had a good soaking rain most of the day, but it still needed more driving on to get packed down.

Over this weekend my 85 year old father came to see the tractor and did one pass on the driveway. I had to do one more to clean up a few places he raised the 3pt hitch and left some rock. I played with it a little more in my parking area, and eventually felt confident enough to rework the shared road.

When I first started on the 1/2 mile of harder packed road it appeared to be doing very little. I was leaving scrape marks but not ripping up anything. A few passes back and forth and I had pulled enough material free to fill the potholes, smooth everything, and top dress an area that had a lot of surface rock.

I can say that fixing the road is a really good way to meet all the neighbors. They came out to say hi, and thanks. I waited until I had a good idea of how to use everything before working on the shared road, but it's a pretty straight forward device to use.

The BGS-072 is pretty amazing. It smooths everything out nicely, pulls fairly major rocks with almost no affect on the tractor. It carries a significant amount of soil, much like a box blade would. It collects rock until dislodged by a bump, or larger rock. The piles can be collected later if necessary. I found it works well backward to get rid of the piles. When you turn around it's easy to raise the grader and recapture the material pile for the return trip. I mostly worked in low range, but mid range worked fine on the flat and more packed down main road. Only my steep uphill with a full load could stop the DK40SE HST. When it gets a full bite uphill I was able to spin all four wheels and/or bog down and stop the tractor when not throttled up enough. On the flat I was able to turn off 4 wheel drive, but any hill or soft material requires 4wd.

The only section of road I left alone was the part one neighbor had material dropped and a real road grader come twice to level. After any rain the potholes return in that section. It hasn't rained yet since I did the road, but I assume some potholes will return in what I did too. Since we haven't had rain, my section is much nicer than the last 50 feet of road done by the real grader. Eventually I check in with him to confirm he's good with my plan to drag monthly.

Thanks to your great advice, I now have solve the only real downside to my new place. I can't thank you all enough.