Rusty screws on spark arrester

ccmdvl1960

I took a look at the two screws on the flange for the exhaust pipe/spark arrester on my RTV and they are rusty. I soaked them with penetrating oil, but I don't think that will do it as there aren't really any angles for the allen wrench to grab. Any ideas? Has anyone had to drill out the screws?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
When I do this, I clean out the allen wrench heads really good, then lightly tap in the allen wrench with a hammer to just snug making sure to use the right size wrench so there is no movement.. I use a boxed end end wrench to give me a little leverage - like a cheater pipe- and see if they move. When I put them back, I cover the bolt threads with some anti seize. Not had any problem since I started doing that. If they won't budge , a pair of large,sharped teeth vice grips could work. collie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, for sure, some PB Blaster and letting it soak for an hour or so. Collie is right on with the technique of tapping the bolt/screw with a hammer before you start turning it.........Has it already been rounded out by someone using a to small allen??????????

In the past have even spot welded a wrench down in there on an old BMW mc.......Course then you have to get a NEW bolt.... It isn't bad if you have to remove the muffler so you can work on it, the whole exhaust manifold is pretty easy to take off and then you can easily work on the bolts on your bench.................God bless......Dennis

Doehead

I've used an impact driver before, they work good.Make sure you use the right size ,and it's going the right way.When you tap it with hammer it turns the bit!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I've used an impact driver before, they work good.Make sure you use the right size ,and it's going the right way.When you tap it with hammer it turns the bit!

My allen wrenches are all L shaped. I tap on the curved part of the allen wrench to seat the wrench in the bolt's head - to push it in securely. this does not turn the wrench at all , but pushes it forward into the head. After it is seated well and snug, then I will apply pressure to turn the wrench counterclockwise, using the end wrench as added leverage, hooked on the leg of the allen wrench -if I need to. Watch for movement. Between this and the penetrating oil never had a problem .

Tailrotor

I use a Matco 1/4 inch impact with the right size bit. Works great and powerful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 139

ccmdvl1960

Thanks all, I now have some things to try. If it can get it apart, I'll post some photos. I suspect that it has never been cleaned.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you have any Kroil? (It's a penetrating oil). Of all the different brands, this is the best.
If not, there's a homemade recipe on the site here somewhere. I think two guns posted it. It's a 50/50 mix of brake fluid and ... something else which eludes me right now.

I'd spray it with one of these 2 options and let it sit a day. I use Kroil and I can't think of any bolt that wouldn't come out for me after using it.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Do you have any Kroil?
I'd spray it with one of these 2 options and let it sit a day. I use Kroil and I can't think of any bolt that wouldn't come out for me after using it.

I use Kroil also.
AND, some other super penatrating oil is the Amsoil MP. That has help with some surprising jobs around here !!!

........ two guns

Mark.Sibole

unless you remove them monthly they do like to get stuck.I got lucky on mine and they came right out.Now they sit on the workbench in a can with the spark arrester

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Do the allen head bolts still look like those in this picture? (From thread http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14460&highlight=muffler&page=2) .

I remember that my '05 had sheet metal screw(s) bordercollie

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Judy - Please give me a post number from that thread. There's a few pictures in there. Once you give me the post number, I'll edit your post here so instead of the link, I'll put the pictures right in your post.
Thank you Zoom, The best picture is post #1 from that thread (2-25-12). I appreciate your help. judy

TRIBUTE100

I like PB blaster penetrating catalyst spray. I'd try some vice grip pliers on them.

Here's a situation I ran into this past fall. The master cylinder went out on my '01 truck, so I replaced it and proceeded to bleed the brakes. The bleeder screws were frozen, had never been touched since new, never had a to do a brake job (only 65,000 miles). Tried everything, stripped the hex head nut on the dang things, would not budge. I wrapped the exposes threads with a cotton twine and soaked them in PB Blaster. Bought new vice grips with sharp edges on jaws to get a grip. Still would not move. I disconnected the brake line and drained the caliper cylinder assy. of brake fluid. I use a propane torch and heated the caliper case near the bleeder screws and finally broke free the bleeder screws. I spent parts of 2 days getting that job done.

When you put the (new) screws back on, use an anti-seize lubricant on the threads like you use on spark plug threads.

ccmdvl1960

Spent the past week at camp getting things ready for opening weekend (4/11). I got the spark arrester off using repeated Liquid Wrench soakings some Channellock (hometown brand) 420 pliers. The screen was quite clogged. Here are the before photos...

Attachments

• IMG_1288.jpg
    IMG_1288.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1289.jpg
    IMG_1289.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 72

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
.......The screen was quite clogged. Here are the before photos...

Mr. Mister says,
"By the looks of the photos. You probobly gained a few more horses and a few more mph" ....

Attachments

• 2-2010  1.jpg
    2-2010 1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 64