RTV won't start

brok

2012 RTV 900 with 285 hours. I drove it this morning, then turned it off and tried to restart about 10 minutes later. All I get is a clicking noise from the key turning on, but the engine won't turn over. I tried to jump start and no change. I have it on the battery charger now, but I doubt that is the problem. I am thinking it may be the starter. Any suggestions?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Could be the neutral safety switch. Wiggle the shifter around and check linkages.

brok

I wiggled the shifter, checked linkages, and the wires for the neutral safety switch. Still does not start. Anything else I should check?

rgm

Search the forum for 'Neutral Safety Switch' for ideas. Some people have had faulty safety switches, which can be tested by grounding out the wire connected to it. Others have found that starters needed servicing after getting wet.

Some of the testing might require a second set of hands, just be careful because the RTV could start while it's in gear when testing safety switch.

Good luck & keep us posted

Rich

brok

Thanks for the additional advice. I don't have help with me now, so the repair may have to wait a couple weeks until I come back to ranch. I don't think water is an issue as I keep it under cover, but I will test the switch. I have a hydraulic bed so lifting it is an issue. I have propped open with a board now, but need to get it positioned where I can hoist and hold the bed up.

I will let you know what I find.

rgm

Brok,

My RTV is an 05. If you push the dump handle all the way down it will stay in the 'float' position which will let you raise the bed by hand. There should be a safety prop that fits over the hydraulic cylinder to hold it up. On the '05 it's held in place by a cable and is stored on top of the frame on the drivers side, right by the muffler shield.

Rich

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All I get is a clicking noise from the key turning on, but the engine won't turn over.
I played with mine last night while thinking about your problem.

If it doesn't think it's in neutral, you won't get the click on the solenoid when you turn the key on. IIRC, it will click when you turn the key back off. So, if you have that same result, it may not be the neutral safety switch or linkages.

When I've had similar situations in the past (on other vehicles), if it wasn't the battery, it normally ended up being a bad connection on a battery cable or a bad cable itself.

brok

I found the safety prop on mine. Thanks Rich

I get the solenoid click in neutral and in gear. The battery connection appears solid, but I can take if off and clean to see if that fixes the problem.

I ended up spending an extra day at the ranch as I am having a water well drilled today at my new house location.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I found the safety prop on mine. Thanks Rich

I get the solenoid click in neutral and in gear. The battery connection appears solid, but I can take if off and clean to see if that fixes the problem.

I ended up spending an extra day at the ranch as I am having a water well drilled today at my new house location.

I am thinking the battery connections sound like your description. Also check the ground where it connects to the frame. There is also a thread on here about the neutral safety switch which may be it. When my stop solenoid went out, it would try to crank but wouldn't "catch.". so I don't think that is it. Good Luck, collie

edit: http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=110273#post110273

brok

Battery connections are solid and battery is good. I tapped on the neutral safety switch with a 1/4 inch ratchet and when I cranked it over, it started. So I guess that switch will need to be replaced. I will order one from Messicks and replace next trip here.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good job of getting to the bottom of it brok ..with a lot of good advice from our guys and gals here. :tiphat: :thumb: Way to go team. :clap: :clap: :clap:

cov62431

You can use a jumper wire at the white connector for the safety switch. I use a paper clip, just make sure that you keep it away from bare metal (tape up, tie up, etc.). It's a positive signal and will ground out. Once inserted into the socket try starting, if it starts it's the safety switch, if it doesn't start problem is elsewhere. And as stated before make sure the gear shift is in neutral and apply your parkbrake.

brok

It is definitely the safety switch. It has quit working several times and I just tap on it and it will start. I already ordered a replacement from Messicks, just waiting on delivery.