Another Coolant Leak

pop58

Good morning gentlemen. Haven't been on in a while, been so busy haven't had time to even turn on my computer.

Sounds like all is doing well.

Just thought I would share that I had another coolant leak.
Never had a coolant hose leak from the cords at the end of the hoes like this one did.

I already had the two front hoses replaced. This is one of the rear hoses that go to the top of the engine. The dealer replaced it no problem and brought the machine back to me so was happy with the service.

DSC00244.jpg

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for posting that great picture. Now that is something to else to consider when troubleshooting..... collie

1000 miles on this x1100c and now the weather has turned cold and I've developed more coolant leaks.
First was in the front driver side right over the axle. Called the dealer he said it's the clamp just above and that they are having a lot of calls with the change in temperature. Tightened that (had to get a guy to do it for me) and then I developed more leaks further back.

Leaked for two days and now nothing! I am wondering if it's sort of like pop58's and I can't see it. Anyone else having trouble now that the outside temperature has changed?

pop58

Sorry to here your having trouble Cornerstone. I know someone with the 1100 that also had coolant leaks.
I hate leaks of any kind. Personally I think the coolant pipes that run from front to rear are badly designed.
I haven't had any leaks sense the dealer changed the clamps and hoses but when they did they made the clamps so tight it looks like the hoses are almost cut.
Ill leave it alone as long as they don't leak.

Mark.Sibole

Coolent leaks can be a bear to find.
This fall ive started to smell coolent and i cant for the life of me figure out where it is coming from.Ive heated up the engine and parked it on a sheet to see if anything is dripping and no luck so far.

wow I like those!

I have 3 tractors 36 hp to 90 hp and I've owned several Kawasakis and two kubotas and a few water cooled lawn mowers. NEVER had a leak on any of those with just plane ordinary clamps. The 90 hp tractor is going to be 22 years old in February other then one hose that rubbed and had to be replaced it has never leaked! I don't see why this seems to have so many problems.

pop58

Well as I was installing some Camoplast tracks on my machine this weekend I noticed another coolant leak in the rear. The same place it was leaking before.

Ive had it in two times earlier this year for the same problem and they replace everything so I don't know what else they could do.
I will call them anyway because my warranty ends tomorrow and see what they are going to do.

Its not much of a leak but it is still a leak, enough to leave a small puddle on the floor and I hate leaks.

darn, yours too! These machines are pathetic. Maybe I will have them replace all my lines and double clamp them.

Something is definitely wrong. Maybe replace them with those clamps Milkman linked. I worry that one of my dogs is going to lick that stuff! I've coated the garage floor with barn grip to absorb it but that's made a mess.

Mark.Sibole

sorry to hear it.I have one on my machine i cant locate either.I can smell coolant when it warms up but ive parked it on a white sheel and see no drips at all but i can smell it.
It bothers me when anything leaks let alone not being able to find it.
I figured with it hot and pressure build up it would leave a drip someplace but there is nothing on the sheet.

pop58

I have the machine loaded on the trailer and will be taking it in tomorrow morning.

I'm sure they will have it for days so won't know anything for a while.
I was smelling something too Mark but no leak. Then one day I had a little puddle.

This is the third time im taking it in for this issue. I will keep taking it in to keep things documented.

Don't get me wrong the machine runs and operates great. I love this thing. Just think this leak is not right.
A little oil drip here or there is one thing but a coolant leak is not good in my book.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
Guys, I don't know if this is relevant or not, but a few years ago I had to have an automobile fuel pump replaced. The gas tank was pulled, the fuel pump was replaced, and the gas tank was reinstalled. I don't think they realized it, but when they connected the filler hose to the gas tank, they used too much torque and cracked the nipple on the tank that the filler hose connects to.

This was not a problem until you filled the tank. After filling the tank, there would be a minor leak until the fuel level dropped. You could not see gasoline drops on the garage floor, but you sure could smell it.

I complained to them enough about the leak that they finally pulled the tank again and found the problem.

So, perhaps your hose clamps were torqued too much and cracked the nipple they connect to. You might not see antifreeze until the pressure in the radiator builds up.

Again, I don't know if my problem is at all similar, but thought I would pass along my experience.

Bob

pop58

Thanks for the info Bob but I doubt that is the issue because there are two hoses forward and two hoses aft with two metal pipes between forward and aft hoses which they are clamped to.
I also had everything replaced so im starting to think its a design problem???

Mark.Sibole

Thats the thing i have done nothing but checked the antifreeze.I have no clue.1 day it will show up when i least expect it.Ive checked all hoses and conncetions and nothing.I checked the resavore and no leaky there either.Ill end up finding it on the coldest day of the year like everything else.
I thought maybe it was over heating and maybe the fan sensor was bad.Checked that it was fine.Fan kicks on and off but i cant remember at what point the gauge got to when the fan kicked in.It seems like the gauge is running a bit higher than it did but i honestly cant remember.Now that it warmed to the 40s here I worked it hard and the fan does kick on and off but for the life of me I checked everything.I even checked the oil to make sure it wasnt a head gasket issue but oil level is the same daily and coolent level looks to be the same but i can still smell it and i cant stand the smell of antifreeze!

pop58

That's a good observation Mark. It seems to do it on the coldest days to me to. Don't know what that means though.

I will say on the warmer days the temp gauge shows one square before I even start it.
Dose that do that to you?
Maybe the sensor is bad.

Mark.Sibole

Temp sensor stays where it always did on start up so gauge is ok.It could be a weak them sensor.Ill have to see if there is a sppecial way they test them. I removed it and applied heat to it and would have thought being basically a heat switch it would have went to a direct short at about 190 to 200 ish degrees but it didint.Ill have to call my local dealer and talk to them.I hate to throw away any money on a guess this time of the year with Xmas coming up.Im still fooling around with my David Brown Tractor too.I still need to fine tire chains that wont cost me any grand kids and have the front croud piston rams rebuilt.I have way to many irons in the fire this year.And with my unlucky streak still running full speed ahead ill never catch up lol.
Only break I got was it wasnt the transfer case on my truck making all the noise it was the frot drive shaft.But even at that a new drive shaft is 400 bucks.I sware ill never own another GM product again in my life. Even if its given to me id sell it to some poor unfortunate soul!