Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Pauly is on a distinguished road
Default New Guy New Tractor Selection

Hi all.
First off what a great site, pure dumb luck that I found this.

I have 6 acres, a quarter mile long gravel drive with an up hill grade. The property is wooded with a fair amount of thick underbrush, there is also a spring on the property. I plan on clearing some of the property, making a small MX track, a shooting area, maybe turning the spring into a pond and maintaining the drive and clearing snow.

So two questions, first which tractor? I have been looking at an LS XJ2025 and the Kubota 2650. I did look at the Deere 2025 but adding everything up it seemed pricey. I just notice that Kioti has a following here but they are further away that the two I mentioned.
Second question, snowblower or hydraulic blade? I plan on getting the loader, 5 foot rough cut mower and one of the mentioned attachments.
I use a Simplicity for mowing the lawn so a belly mower is not in the cards at this time.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Hi Pauly,
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I'm glad you found us. Sorry for the trouble you had signing up.

You laid out your needs very well. From what you listed I would pick Kubota as that is what I bought when it was my turn at the plate. But that was over 10 years ago and a few newcomers have entered the arena and do indeed deserve a closer look.

Be careful of 'saving' to much and it costing you down the road. The work we demand of these compact tractor is trying for even the most expensive tractor. And all tractors will need some type of service from the dealer. This means the dealer plays a huge role in your purchase decision. You will have a long relationship with them so pick a dealer you are comfortable with and you feel will be able to service the tractor when you require help.

Both the front end loader and rotary cutter are excellent choices. Those two are my favorite implements on my tractor. Both allow you to tame the wild woods around you.

Do yourself a favor and sit in as many seats as possible. Check out that Kioti and other dealers that are a little further down the road. You won't be driving to them every day so a drive like that once a year or so is not so bad. But while you are there observe the day to day operations of the dealership just to get a feel for it.

Back to the seat, the ergonomics of each brand are a little different. One will fit you better than the others. Sitting in the seats will give you a better feel for what fits you best. Put the tractors through a little workout right there on the dealers lot. You will learn the operation of each and the feel of each. It'd kinda fun really. Take your time and you'll find the one that is right for you. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Sorry I can't help with the snow management implements. I do not have much snow to deal with. I use a little 6 ft blade and it does fine for me.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 09-14-2014, 07:25 PM

Kanook has a spectacular aura aboutKanook has a spectacular aura about

Pauly....
I traded one of my Kubotas for a B2650HDSC last Dec. Interestingly, I also checked out the LS but decided to stay with the bota due to my confidencethe product quality and the local dealer. In the winter the B2650 is my primary workhorse in my rural residential driveway snowclearing business. Regarding your blower vs blade question....depends where you are located,how much snow you get and whether it stays on the ground or melts partially between snow storms.. Here the snow that we get in December is typically at the bottom of the winter accumulation at the end of March...a blade quickly runs out of place to push the snow and doesn't fit for my application. I run an out front blower with hydraulic chute rotation and deflection and a box blade at the back for clearing snow away from garage doors etc...Hope this helps..
Old 09-17-2014, 07:31 PM

Smile

Doc,

Thanks for the reply. No worries regarding the registration. I test drove the 2650 last weekend. I wante'd to take it home then and there! The dealer has been around a long time so I have confidence in them. Plus the salesman really went out of his way to make sure I understood everything about the machine. He even stayed late to answer my questions. Yea I know he's a salesman but you know.
Pretty much set on the Kubota.

Kanook, we get a fair amount of snow here in Southern Wisconsin. Around 48 inches or 1,220 milimeters. It can stay until March or April. I suspect our weather is close to your's. I did opt for the 52 inch commercial unit, not cheap.
As I get older I look at it this way, buy once cry once.

Paul
Old 09-17-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
As I get older I look at it this way, buy once cry once.

Paul
Yep I'm with ya on that ...and as we get older and kids are out, we have a little more mula to buy what we really need.

Other Fun Forums:
Old 10-01-2014, 09:01 PM

Smile

Doc,

Like good beer and big kid stuff.
The Kubota B 26502 gets delivered tomorrow! FEL, 60" rough cut and the 51 commercial snow blower.
This should be fun.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:21 AM

Congrats.
Now tell me ...don't ya feel like a kid at Christmas waiting for it to be delivered?
I know I did.
Enjoy!!!!

Other Fun Forums:
Old 10-02-2014, 08:59 PM

Smile

Doc,

This may be one of the best Christmas's ever! I don't plan on growing up.

Just got the brush mower off and the tractor in the garage before the rain.
Have to take care of the important stuff first.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:54 PM

Kanook has a spectacular aura aboutKanook has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
Doc,

This may be one of the best Christmas's ever! I don't plan on growing up.

Just got the brush mower off and the tractor in the garage before the rain.
Have to take care of the important stuff first.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!