Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 AM

BigRol is on a distinguished road
Default does size matter?

Hi Guys, new guy here, big new guy, and that is my question. Im 6'1 and 280 looking at bx25b tlb (fav) the Mahindra max and Kioti equivalents. the dealers are in three different directions and from 110k to 400k away and my time is limited. so I'd like to skip the test fitting stage to cut down on travel. Can any big guys shed some light on the roomiest scuts with and without a cab. Thanks, any feed back is appreciated
Big Rol
Old 03-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Hey BigRol, welcome to Net Tractor Talk.
I wish I could tell you which would fit you perfect but that's a tough task. I bought mine in 02 and have spent hundreds of hours on her. When I bought some older more experienced guys told me to sit in as many seats as I can. To give em a workout as much as possible doing tasks similar to what I planned to use the tractor for.
Dealers will let you maneuver it around the lot and that helps but they don't like you digging, at least mine didn't have a spot for that. Still, the advice was perfect. I sat in a few that I was considering. Loved JD and that is what I wanted but that dealer priced himself right out of the ball park. So I bought Kubota and I'm glad I did. It has been the perfect tractor for me.
I'm not as big (5' 11 240) and I have no problems with any of the Kubotas that I sat in. I ended up using the ole budget stretcher and bought the 30hp unit. It has served me well. Just wish I had the backhoe with it.
Long winded way of saying you will be spending lots of hours in that seat. You want to be comfortable. If you find one that fits you and your are comfortable with the price and the tractor overall and the dealer go for it. But if you are unsure it is sure worth the time to drive to those other dealers to see what they have to offer. They might reenforce your decision on the first one or not. Either way you win as you know you got the best tractor for you.
Not the answer you wanted but I hope it helps.
Also I should note I have not shopped tractors since I bought mine, so I can't comment on the roomiest with or without a cab. sorry

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
BigRol (03-03-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the reply Doc, checked on a Kubota and mf GC1710 and both were plenty roomy, never considered the mf but was impressed. decisions, going to check reviews on the forum.
BigRol
Old 03-04-2015, 10:21 AM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

I'm not a big guy but on the Kioti's, I've found both the CK and DK series had plenty of area for the operator. My father who's 76 years old has a cabbed version and even with all his ailments, he still gets in and out OK.

A couple things I have seen bigger guys struggle with in general.
- The operators area between the legs should be clear so legs can pass through (e.g. no gear shifter between the legs). It's too difficult to swing leg between or over with an obstruction.
- Watch the location of the loader controls. If they're out in front you're good to go but if it's next to the seat (your right leg), you may find your leg hitting it which then dumps the bucket.

You didn't mention Deere. My neighbor who's almost your size recently picked up a 1025 model and really likes it. Has never mentioned a dislike for the operator area.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 AM

Hi guys, guess size doesn't matter, after looking at the aforementioned I found them all to be quite roomy. However, thinking maybe a little bigger (hp) and factory cab, was gonna look at an Ls xr3037.(crazy deal) in a previous post I had read a while ago, Greenwannabe said he didn't consider Ls because of the small platform? If you're still out there what did you mean GW. I haven't seen one yet. Also whats the scoop on the Shibarua turbo charged engine used in the 30 series.Thanks
Old 03-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

More HP is always a good thing. GWB is around. You might PM him and send him a link to this thread, that would get his attention quickest.

nevermind ...I went ahead and PM'd him for ya.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 03-11-2015, 10:02 AM

Thanks Doc. OK pm private message cool.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:06 PM

GreenWannabe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRol View Post
Hi guys, guess size doesn't matter, after looking at the aforementioned I found them all to be quite roomy. However, thinking maybe a little bigger (hp) and factory cab, was gonna look at an Ls xr3037.(crazy deal) in a previous post I had read a while ago, Greenwannabe said he didn't consider Ls because of the small platform? If you're still out there what did you mean GW. I haven't seen one yet. Also whats the scoop on the Shibarua turbo charged engine used in the 30 series.Thanks
When I first started looking at tractors back around 2005, LS (then LG) provided many of the models that Montana sold. I visited a nearby Montana dealer, and looked at a number of models, from small tractors to larger and larger tractors trying to find one I could work with. Now, I'm 6'2" with long legs, and found that the platform was much too cramped for me on all of them, even with the seat shoved back all the way. Later, for personal reasons, I decided to have nothing to do with anything LG or LS, so haven't looked at them much since.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenWannabe For This Useful Post:
BigRol (03-11-2015)