Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:26 AM

CS36 is on a distinguished road
Default Size matters 2

Looking at a couple of machines. I have 4 ac. Want tractor with fel and backhoe attachment for moving material and minor landscaping on my property only. I'm looking at a Kioti CK20S. It has a very small engine and is classified as a sub-compact tractor, but seems like a much more robust machine than the Kubota BX25 or JD 1025. i.e. bigger cylinders, tires, heavier, etc. Am I comparing apples to oranges? It seems like, from the specs, that the Kioti is a much more capable machine. Should I be looking at a bigger unit. I don't see the CK25 in Kyoto's lineup anymore and dealer tells me the CK27 has been discontinued. I don't want a machine as heavy as the CK 30.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:34 AM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Welcome to the forum.

I have seat time in both the CK25 and the CK20.

It sounds like you have a short-term need for the backhoe and such (moving material and minor landscaping).

If you're going to keep the tractor long-term, I'd go with the CK20. The CK25 will do the up-front work better but once that work is done, that tractor is a bit large and heavy for puttering around the property, mowing or whatever else you need.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:37 AM

Also, are pumps sized to machine? It seems the response is fairly slow with the CK20S , but with more torque than other machines. I'm not making a living with this unit, so cycling speed is not an issue. I just don't want the implements to bog down when pushed a bit.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:45 AM

Thanks bczoom, Except for work on my property, my major concern (considering my age!) is heavy lifting that I don't want to do by hand anymore. Anyone my age knows what I mean. This machine will "do me out" as they say. It doesn't have to last 20 years! Ha!
Old 06-11-2015, 07:24 AM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

As for the lifting, I'm with ya. My Front End Loader is the best ever for helping with that stuff (clamp on forks help even more).
I do not know the models you are talking of but I will say, back when I was buying I went bigger than I had ever thought I would (30HP Kubota) and I've not regretted it one moment. Extra size does help with knocking down big brush, pushing over trees, dragging trees etc. I used mine as primary mower for 3 years (did big yard with tractor, and around house with smaller simplicity). Then the simplicity bit the dust and I got a ZTR. Now I mow with the ZTR and use the tractor for all the other work. A perfect solution for me.
Be sure to sit in as many seats as you can. It will help you zero in on the right tractor for you. Good luck.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 06-12-2015, 07:37 AM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS36 View Post
Also, are pumps sized to machine? It seems the response is fairly slow with the CK20S , but with more torque than other machines. I'm not making a living with this unit, so cycling speed is not an issue. I just don't want the implements to bog down when pushed a bit.
Which pumps are you referring to? The HST lags when you hit the pedal or the loader/backhoe are slow moving when using them? For both issues, what RPM's were you running at? From my experience, getting up to about 2K RPM's made everything run nicely. Below that, yea, things can be slow.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 AM

I just noticed the rotation of the buckets (loader/backhoe) is quite powerful but is slower cycling than the CK 2510, for instance, at 2500 RPM. The 2 machines are basically the same, except for the extra 2.5 hp and a pump with about 50% more speed.

What I'm wondering... is the pump on the CK 20S geared lower in order to give the smaller HP engine more oomph, the trade-off being slower cycling speed? The 2510 pump puts out over 11 GPM, whereas the 20S pump is 7.66 GPM. Other than that there isn't much difference between the tractors.

P.S...I think the CK20S, CK25 and CK 27 are ending production and being replaced by the Tier IV CK 2510. i.e. newer/cleaner.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:25 AM

Not familiar with the 2510. Is it the new model of the CK20 or the CK25?

Wished you asked about these tractors a month ago. Due to health and age, my Dad is selling his farm. Just sold his CK20, CK25, 2 RTV's, ZTR, garden tractor... Prices were great so everything sold very quickly.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:06 PM

Yeah, I understand all manufacturers are going to the cleaner diesels. For now the 20, 25 & 27 are no longer in production. Something close to them will probably surface in the future as a tier IV version, but for now, no more being produced.

I haven't heard of the CK2510 until last week. They have made a CS2410, but it is the smallest of the breed with smaller running gear, wheels, etc. Also more lightweight attachments.

Sorry about your dad. At least I hope he's looking forward to retiring!
Old 06-12-2015, 01:42 PM

Well, I guess it comes down to speed/strength of implements vs cost since I'm assuming the CK20 is less than the 2510.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS36 View Post
Sorry about your dad. At least I hope he's looking forward to retiring!
Thanks. He retired many, many years ago and he's in his high 70's. A massive stroke 10 years ago put a real damper in his capabilities and that coupled with pushing 80 makes it hard to do the outdoor work that's required.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:19 AM

urednecku is on a distinguished road

I have a Kubota M7040 with a little less than 1300 hours on her, & I have never wished I had gotten a smaller one. Several times tho I HAVE wished it was a size or 2 bigger.
In short, I don't think you would ever wish you had gotten a "weaker" or slower machine, unless there is a $$ problem with the larger one.

And like Doc said, sit in as many seats as you can, & 'test drive' them if you can. The "Bota dealer let me try the ones I was looking at on their place, (they had a field in the back), and it helped me make up my mind quick on a couple things.

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2015, 01:25 PM

Default Done!

Thanks for your help guys. The Kioti deal fell through, but as luck (good type) would have it, a deal showed up and I am now the proud owner of a 2013 John Deere 2720 with 44 hours on it! Not at all sorry I went for the extra HP!...Don