Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:25 PM

taem is on a distinguished road
Default what's a good replacement for a JD 2240?

I have a JD 2240 MFWD 55 hp with a very rugged locally built loader that is pushing 10,000 hours. I use it for anything from haying, loading manure, hauling logs and I have a JD backhoe attachment that I occasionally use for ditching. I love it, but it is getting pretty long in the tooth. I would like suggestions (jd especially but also NH or Kubota as good local dealers) for a replacement, used in the $12,000 range Thus newer, but still used and reliable. Looking at newer JD models, I am unimpressed by how vulnerable the plastic gas tank underneath some of them is, plus everything electronic and pricey. I want something I can take in the woods without worrying about every stick I pass. I have-um--unintentionally removed the under tractor exhaust and replaced with a side discharge that so far I haven't destroyed, but other than that nothing vulnerable hangs down on the 2240. What would you recommend that is affordable, not too electronic and rugged? I can take the loader off the other tractor. Something in the 5000 series?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:08 PM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Welcome to the forum.

Reading your post and before getting to the last line, I too was thinking of something in the 5000 series. But... If you want the MFWD, I think you're going to need a little more than $12K. $12K may get you a 5045D (2-wheel drive) but for the 5045E (MFWD), the price does go up. If you're baling hay, can you go down to the 45HP or do you need to step up to the 5055? Probably the same cost issue for the 52xx

How about something a little older than the 5000 series?
A JD3110 or 3210? (IIRC, it was actually made by Renault so look into it closely).

Have you looked at the 53xx series? They're turn-of-the century era tractors so the price is probably where you need to be.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:18 PM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Just thought of something.

Have you considered keeping the existing tractor for the bigger chores and going down in size for day-to-day work? If you picked up something like a 30-40 HP TLB, that may take a huge load off your existing tractor.