Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:59 PM

rsow07 is on a distinguished road
Default yanmar 324

I have been looking at the new yanmar 324 sub compact since it came out but I don't know anyone who has one. I also been looking at the john deere 1025 because of the auto connect mower deck. the 324 is bigger in body size which I like and it lifts more but my concern is the 324 mower deck. does anyone have a 324 with a mower deck and what are the pros and cons of the 324.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:09 AM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Can't help you with the 324 mower. I'd go into a dealer and have them show you how it mounts. Even if it's not a drive-over, it may be very simple.

What all do you want to do with it? Approximately, where do you live (I'm thinking of winters and rain and such).

The Deere uses a Yanmar engine (possibly the same one that's in the 324) so your powerplant is close and those engines are solid.

If your main task for the tractor is mowing, compare weights, turning radius and such. Also see what it takes to engage or disengage the Reverse Implement Option (RIO). This RIO disables mowing or using the PTO in reverse.

You didn't mention a backhoe but just be advised, backhoes in this tractor size are not very robust.

I've driven the 1025 in the snow (clearing driveways). It did an awesome job and its speed and maneuverability make quick work of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bczoom For This Useful Post:
rsow07 (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:50 AM

yeah I been comparing the these two for awhile. I live in southeast texas we have no snow its all low flat land and a pretty good bit of rain. I have over 2 acres nothing huge but its enough to mow that's why I wanted a sub compact with a loader to move dirt work my driveway mow my yard get the rotary tiller for a nice size garden and take it to my deer lease, and no I don't need a backhoe. there is only one dealer here in Beaumont texas and the one guy that knows the tractor is hard to catch so the ones I do talk to I don't think they even know how to start the thing. and sometimes they like to make stuff up to try and make a sell.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:55 PM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

You said you have low flat land and get quite a bit of rain. How soft does your yard get?

My neighbor has the JD1025 but there's some times it's too soft for him to mow. We're in the hills of PA but even with good drainage, he can't mow very often in the Spring.

Have you considered using 2 machines?

When I first got my tractor (a bit bigger than yours), I got a finish mower with it. Found out the first year that the tractor is too heavy for mowing (see soft ground above) and I was tearing things up.

Sold the finish mower and bought a Garden Tractor. Perfect weight so not messing up yard but too slow.

Bought a ZTR. By far the best mowing machine. What used to take 2.5 hours to mow now takes 45 minutes.

PS. I like spending other people's money.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:04 PM

yeah it gets pretty wet in the winter time there is no mowing cause its so soft even a regular zero turn wont cut it. but the tractor with the loader I can get dirt hauled in move it and spread it build my land up so it wont be so wet in my yard. I have a zero turn now and it gets stuck in a water puddle on asphalt and I cant pull a tiller with the zero turn lol.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

I got my tractor first with FEL and rear finish mower. Worked well. But I bought a ZTR and dedicated it to mowing. Awesome combo. I see some ZTR's with knobby tires on the landscape trailers. For mowing duties you might try more agressive tires so you don't get stuck in mud puddles. Best advice I got when I was tractor shopping was to sit in as many seats as possible before buying. The ergonomics of each make / model is different. When you will be spending hours there after the purchase it's good to get the best fit for yourself. Good luck and happy shopping.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
rsow07 (09-09-2016)