Winch Mounting on RTV

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
On an RTV, I understand there is both a front and rear receiver hitch.

Does anyone know of an adapter that makes it possible to use a winch on either front or rear?

I understand it will need 12VDC available at both ends but I can't locate any mounting plates that would connect the winch to a hitch.

Any experiences or pictures are much appreciated. This is specifically for an X-1120.

Thanks

williemakit

I have seen one for a pickup that mounted into a hitch receiver that was homemade. He took a piece of flat plate. drilled holes in it to mount the winch, welded the plate to male end of the receiver hitch, installed it into the hitch like a ball mount, then ran a power cable to the battery with quick disconnect ends on both ends of the cable, he ran the cable loose so he could take it to the front or back, works great installs in a couple of minutes when needed

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Most any welding shop would be glad to earn the $20 you would contribute to their coffee fund for whipping one of these out......No big deal. Some scrap square tubing and 1/4 plate that they have in their scrap............Take a pattern of the bolt holes and stand around with them and talk as they whip it out.........

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure your receiver is 2" so the HF one should work well. My 04 was only 1 1/4" I believe so I bought a straight ball adapter from HF and did this.

2014-03-07135510_zps03d64030.jpg

2014-03-07135530_zpsfed40b2f.jpg

Made storage under the hood pretty easy

100_1310_zps17e1ff1d.jpg

Bob

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, good idea. Maybe make up a power lead long enough to use it on either end of the RTV??

Richard, That's how I power mine.

Here's the connector by the battery, hanging just to the left side.

100_1307_zps0a2bddcf.jpg

The extension power cable and controller under the seat. I just bought a cheap set of jumper cables and added the ends to make the cable.

100_1312_zpscd52b3b8.jpg

Bob

VA1100

I purchased this mount and winch from Northern Tool, then got a receiver hitch for a step bumper from the auto parts house and mounted it upside down over the original hitch, that way I don't have to take the winch off when I trailer the buggy. I use the twisted clevis pictured to strap it to the trailer. I got some 8/4 SO cord (used two conductors for positive and the other two for negative) from Lowes, installed plugs on the ends and made a run to the front hitch and another to the back hitch from the solenoid, that way I can use the winch on the front or back.
Pete

Attachments

• NCM_0278.jpg
    NCM_0278.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 205
  • NCM_0279.jpg
    NCM_0279.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 203

Etwman

Our kubota dealer did our setup like this, and I have to admit its pretty slick.

You have a winch plug in the front and back. The winch is on a 2" receiver. You slide it in the front or back, plug it in, and you are good to go. The in/out switch is in the cab so you can move the machine while you are winching.

Etwman

Here's the pics

Attachments

• IMG_5394.jpg
    IMG_5394.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5395.jpg
    IMG_5395.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5396.jpg
    IMG_5396.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 178

Cajunrotor

Site Supporter
Front or rear winch mounting & wiring

Here's what I did on my '05 900 for the 5000 lb. HF winch I installed:

I got the winch mount and KFI quick disconnect cables on Amazon. Since my 900 has the older 1 1/4" receivers front and rear, I bought the 2" adapter locally from Northern Tools.

I installed a KFI Products (QC-20) 20" Quick Connect Winch End cable on the battery end since it makes for a neater installation. I put the KFI Products (QC-96) 96" Battery/Contactor End cable on the winch and wrap it around the winch and mount when not in service. The 96" cable is just long enough to reach back to the battery end connector from the front, and easily reaches when the hitch is installed on the rear. Sorry, but I don't have any pics showing the wiring harness setup. (The 'bota is at my deer lease about 4 hours away but I'll get some when I go back after Christmas.)

I also purchased the HF wireless remote control for the winch which solved two issues: 1) no wiring needed for a panel switch, and 2) allows me to stand in a safe place whenever I'm using the winch while getting a clear view of the operation.

This setup has worked great so far. I have stored the winch under the hood, but it does fine leaving it in the front hitch also. I've used it both front and rear for the odd winching job (raising a tower stand, pulling logs, etc.) and having the flexibility of mounting it either front or rear is a plus for me.

Attachments

• Winch on front end.jpg
    Winch on front end.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 143