Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:15 PM

dwhite240 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for 1st Tractor

Looking for advice before I buy our first tractor. We just moved to a 10 acre farmette in Maryland. We have horses and about 60% of the property is fenced pasture. We have a Toro Z-Master 6000 for mowing. The tractor would be used for the following tasks: manure pile management, fence posts, snow clearing, doing some landscaping to create a dry lot so material handling and grading. I want a tractor that will hold its value. The land is more clay like here. I don't want an undersized tractor. I would like to be able to put on aftermarket cab down the road. I expect that I will want a post hole digger (maybe aftermarket) and a box blade (aftermarket). A few questions:
1. I was considering a JD 2038R or a Kubota L3301/L3901 - any suggestions or recommendations?
2. If I was going to want a back hoe attachment infrequently, am I better to rent one? Does this impact which tractor to pick?
3. I see tractor dealers that offer package deals including a trailer - are these a good way to go?

Thanks in advance for your help! Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2018, 12:45 PM

squerly is on a distinguished road

Happy New Years Dwhite and welcome to the forum. I'm not going to be helpful with your choice of tractors as they are all pretty good machines. But unless you are going to do all the maintenance yourself, make sure you can get some good support from the dealer.

I currently have a barn full of Kubota equipment, mowers, bush hogs, post hole drillers, etc., because the John Deer dealer was worthless and couldn't be depended on to do the job right. It sucks to haul your tractor to the dealer (and then back home) just to find you have to haul it back to him because he didn't do what was necessary to fix it the first time.

Good luck!

Jim
Doc  (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome to our forums.
Good first post. It appears you have already done a good bit of homework. That's great, it will pay off for you and help you make the right tractor choice. I have to agree the last thing you want is an underpowered tractor for the chores you need to accomplish.

Right off I'll admit, I'm a Kubota household also. The JD dealer in my area was impossible to deal with and prices were thousand more than a comprable Kubota when I bought new in 2002. So, I bought a 2002 Grand L 3010. Awesome tractor and would be able to do all the chores you listed.

I have hydrostatic drive which is nice for loader work. For cleaning horse stalls and general all round work the hydrostatic tranny makes life easy. No shifting.

For cleaning the stalls you might have to consider the width and length of the tractor and will it be nimble enough to fit in those spots.

I've wanted a back hoe but do not own one. If buying one I'd want sub frame which is much stronger and less stress on the 3PH. The cheaper hoe is supported by the 3PH and seems to me would be harder on the tractor. If you know you want a 3PH hoe you might buy the higher HP model you listed (39HP). Since I don't own a 3PH hoe, lets hope someone that does own one chimes in, I might be off on my assumptions. I rent a track hoe when I need one. More versatile and it gets the job done.

The bigger tractors are a lot to haul around. And I just use mine on my property, so no need to haul unless going to the dealer. Most dealers offer pick up and delivery for a fee. Mine charges $50. But if I hit it right he has specials with free pick up and delivery when having work done. Very handy. So, you might not need a trailer to take up space for occasional use.

Like Jim said. Dealer is a huge part of the purchase equation. You want a dealer you feel comfortable with. Ask to see the service area. Sit in as many seats as possible. Drive the tractors around the lot and work the FEL. Get the feel of the ergonomics. You will be spending hours in the seat so it's important to find one that fits you comfortably.

Shop all the dealers you can. Sit in a lot of seats before purchasing. You will be glad you did. Good luck.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 01-02-2018, 11:11 AM

Location: Northport Wa/ property in BC with a elevation of 1490 ft to 2500 feet, with Mts behind that hit 6000
Lee1935 is on a distinguished road

Great advice on the back-hoe! all equipment sooner or later will need repairs, a poor dealership will make any tractor look bad.

If you had a Kioti dealer in your area you might check them out

Tags
jd 2038r, kubota l3301, kubota l3901