2017 Kubota Rtv 900

vince1230

Looking at a 2017 Rtv 900, It is general purpose so no hydrauluc dump. It has 8000 miles and 2200 hours. Looking it over seems in good shape. Anything I should really look at? What is fair price? First time buying diesel utv. All others have been gas.

Thanks

sdzubay

Hi Vince. Looks JD Power's estimate would price that somewhere north of $5,500, but that changes based on accessories, lights, windshield, etc. I'll share observations from my impulse purchase of 2004 RTV900 a few years back through a national farm equipment auction site. The cabbed, full-hydraulic machine I picked up in northern Iowa turned out to have spent its life in Colorado. I was drawn by the low hours (525 ... no odometer). Ran OK, light use the first year. Sometime in Year 2, I experienced engine hesitation, then overheating. I paid a Kubota dealer nearly $800 to diagnose a scored piston and cracked head. (Major deal to get at the engine.) Their estimate to repair was nearly $10k (including 40 hrs labor @ $120, plus ~$6k for the engine, parts, etc.) I eventually bought the new engine, but won the lottery by finding would-be diesel mechanics at an area tech college, anxious to do the work for the learning experience. Bottom line: I have about $16K in a 20 year old machine that should run longer than I'll live.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know when they changed the rear ujoint design like I had on my 2005 and 2012 model 900 , but they were a weak point as well as the 2 pc driveshaft on the 2005. The '12 had the one piece and held up well. Also look for cracked boots. Look for rusty floor under the floor mat that is held down with tabs (at least on the ones I had. ) I would also check the front differential to see if it had ever been changed, knuckle cases even maybe if you want to get really into it. Its been many years since I sold my 2012 900xt with a dump bed at over 42oo hrs but I got over 5 for it because I had documented under the hood every oil change etc.. and had good tires.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Looking at a 2017 Rtv 900, It is general purpose so no hydrauluc dump. It has 8000 miles and 2200 hours. Looking it over seems in good shape. Anything I should really look at? What is fair price? First time buying diesel utv. All others have been gas.

Thanks
That’s a Lot of Hours/Miles, IMO. I’d insist on a Service Record on the machine before getting too attached to it. If it’s been receiving the scheduled maintenance and service the manual calls-for…and if it was done by a Kubota dealer or professional …. that would be a plus.
A new RTV with a warranty and with Kubota financing what it is these days…. a brand new machine is a no-brainer, IMO.