6x4 Gator Diesel Still overheating…

marty drennan

Hi good Folks…
I had my Gator diesel engine rebuilt last year.
For years we’ve been struggling with the constant overheating, first we dealt with the temperamental fin sensor several times. I also “burp” the coolant to the cap to avoid air gaps. I hotwired a switch to turn the fan on manually, which I thought was a solution until yesterday when she overheated deep in the woods…switch wouldn’t kick the fan on.Whaat?! When I made it back to the barn the fan finally kicked on its own. If it didn’t kick on my assumption would be bad fan.
Also, is there a way to check to see if the water pump is working well, also is there a way to test actual flow of the radiator?
Has anyone installed a better sensor/ fan actuator? I’m getting really frustrated, we’ve loved this machine and the Kubota RTV we’ve added to the fleet won’t make it down the muddy paths that the Gator tiptoes over.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry no help on the over heating ...but you are saying the RTV can't make it down muddy paths? That truly shocks me. I've had mine on plenty of muddy paths and trails and never had an issue. And the gator can do the muddy paths but the RTV cannot, right? More details please.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What type of tires do you have on the RTV? I have aggressive mud tires (blackwater evolution) on my 2015 RTV x1100c and have no trouble in mud even with the weight.

marty drennan

It’s more about the sandy loam we have here. Sod is a delicate thing on paths you want to preserve. Toying with the idea of tracks for the RTV, but that’s never been an issue with the Gator…walks lightly.

Reactions: Doc

Smilingreen

It’s more about the sandy loam we have here. Sod is a delicate thing on paths you want to preserve. Toying with the idea of tracks for the RTV, but that’s never been an issue with the Gator…walks lightly.
Tracks will give you less ground pressure, but they will tear up your sod when attempting to steer.

Reactions: Doc

marty drennan

True. Tracks have their negatives. Had the Gator out and may have figured a clue, when the machine was overheating and the fan wouldn’t kick on…until coincidentally backing it down a slope. Seems from other threads it recommended tilting the machine to further burp out air. Always thought the coolant fill spot was the safe bet to purge air being that it is the topmost point. Still wondering why the fan wouldn’t kick on with the direct switch
Like it used to.