Dual Batteries

JoeG

Is it possible to instal dual batteries in a 2013 Kubota RTV 900xt? I would like to use the second battery for accesories and running a winch when the RTV is not running.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't see why not. You could run them in parallel or keep them isolated.
Myself, I replaced the OEM battery with a deep-cycle marine battery to give me the extra reserve power for winch and accessories.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i would consider just changing out the battery with an agm type that has an increased amp hour rating. There is plenty of room in the tray.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I had dual batteries…. I bought my X900 from an airline mechanic who had bought/added the dual setup…then found he had health issues and sold the RTV to me in almost new condition.
Four years later…. having never found a use for the aux batt…..(it was set up with a parallel-charge system and therefore was kept fully charged….and was intended to run the OEM Warn Winch…which I never found useful..)… the RTV failed to start one day due to main batt failure.

He had actually taken the new aftermarket batt and placed it in the main position…. using the OEM Kubota battery for the aux batt. But the new/aftermarket batt was what had failed after 4 years…. but the OEM Kubota battery…now almost 9 years old…was in great condition.

So I REMOVED the dual-batt/parallel system and returned the OEM Kubota batt to the original position. Ten years old now…. it’s still in-service.

Bottom Line IMO: 2nd/Aux Batt system is/was over-anticipated, overkill, over-priced, ….and on my RTV…. OVER!

Aurthuritis has it Right… Just get a higher capacity battery… there’s certainly room for it on the OEM battery-tray.

Junkman

Administrator
If you want to go with dual batteries, then consider adding a Cole Hersee dual battery switch. With this switch, you can select Battery 1, Battery 2, or both batteries 1 and 2. The best part is that you can turn both batteries off when you leave the machine, so if you inadvertently leave something energized you won't come back to a dead battery.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1
  • s-l1600B.jpg
    s-l1600B.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 1