Engine wont turn over

butch1961

I have recently gotten a Massey-Ferguson TO-30 tractor with a front end loader on it. From what I have researched on it in is about 1955 to I believe 1960 model. It was running when it was parked about 5 years ago. So I thought I should put some Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a few days, then try to turn it over by hand. Well I cannot get it to budge, Some one told me it may have a hydraulic lock because we had to jack the bucket up to get it onto a trailer. This is the four cylinder gas engine that is in this tractor and the hydraulic pump connects directly to the where crankshaft damper is.. So would a hydraulic lock cause the engine not to be able to turn over by hand (yes spark plugs are out), also can I disconnect this pump to see if I can just get it running. This is my first tractor so I am not very smart on them, so an input would be greatly appreciated.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
The TO-30 was made from 1951 to 1954. Had one many years ago. A very robust tractor.
From your description, it sounds to me like it's dry seized. The pistons may be stuck to the cylinder walls from sitting.
You're trying to turn it by hand. That may not be enough power to break free that 4-cyl engine. Any reason you don't use a good battery and the tractor's starter to break it free?
Do you have any Kroil? Never used the Marvel Mystery oil myself but Kroil will break free most any stuck parts.

butch1961

Welcome to the forum.
The TO-30 was made from 1951 to 1954. Had one many years ago. A very robust tractor.
From your description, it sounds to me like it's dry seized. The pistons may be stuck to the cylinder walls from sitting.
You're trying to turn it by hand. That may not be enough power to break free that 4-cyl engine. Any reason you don't use a good battery and the tractor's starter to break it free?
Do you have any Kroil? Never used the Marvel Mystery oil myself but Kroil will break free most any stuck parts.
I was afraid to use a good battery and the started, I was afraid I would cause it damage, I will see if we have Kroil here and if so I will try that, thank you.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Was thinking about this more last night.
Wouldn't the cycling up and down of the loader's hydraulic valves (what you use to raise/lower and tilt the bucket) release the hyd pressure? Put the loader on a solid base be it the ground or on blocks, cycle the levers. It works on more modern tractors.
Are there any quick hydraulic quick couplers in place for the loader? If so, cycle the controls then try to disconnect these (mark them first so you know which way to reinstall).
Are there any bleeders or easy ways to relieve the hyd pressure?

butch1961

Was thinking about this more last night.
Wouldn't the cycling up and down of the loader's hydraulic valves (what you use to raise/lower and tilt the bucket) release the hyd pressure? Put the loader on a solid base be it the ground or on blocks, cycle the levers. It works on more modern tractors.
Are there any quick hydraulic quick couplers in place for the loader? If so, cycle the controls then try to disconnect these (mark them first so you know which way to reinstall).
Are there any bleeders or easy ways to relieve the hyd pressure?
I didnt see any quick connects on it at all. but I will double check, but I will try to cycle the levers for the loader and the bucket, then maybe crack the lines at the fitting to see if any pressure is relieved. It will probably be a couple of days before I get back to this, but I will let you know what I find for sure, thanks again