Fix that Roxor Step if you have Puppies

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Dixie just got her leg caught in the Roxor step and broke her front leg late this evening. The bone didn't break the skin yet and so we will be going to the vet first thing in the am. She is being still and not moving around so am relieved for that. Will keep ya'll informed.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's a clean break but got both bones. It going to require surgery and a plate so the estimate is 4- 6000. She's like my child and will get it done. Saddening but glad it wasn't her neck . I love this puppy . When I picked her up ( 46 Lbs) ," it hurts so bad" she said .. she put her closed mouth on my arm and pushed with her nose and yet didn't bite.. Now that is love... . The vet here is going to splint it so we can bring her home this evening and some pain killers. Then Monday we'll take her to the surgery place, south of Jackson . I'll keep ya'll informed.. Fix those danger zones... Look what it cost me...

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhhh your poor girl. So sorry for you and her. Man, that sure takes a bite out of your bank account. But I'd do the same thing if I had to. Best wishes.

ETF

I know where you're coming from. Many years ago, I paid over $4K to fix the back of a $10 rescue dog ... but she was MY rescue dog and it was worth every penny as it gave her another 6 years of useful life. That dog spent its whole life within 10' of me. It's been over 12 years and I still miss her.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We took Dixie to the Mississippi State Surgery Center (for animals) today and met with the doctor and staff. All were very pleasant and doted on Dix. The doc said that the recovery would take 8 to 10 weeks. Dixie said "wow" that has to be a mistake ! But no I said you have to be a good girl and be leashed for your leg to heal properly. I'm grateful that my prayers were answered and that she made it thru surgery ok. I love that fur ball. She had a plate and screws put in and since it's an incision, likely won't be splinted. I'm hoping to get her home tomorrow after she has her exam and has adjusted to the pain meds. Thank you Lord.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Dixie's at home. Got here yesterday afternoon. She's a handful and has to wear the cone to keep from licking her wound. A ton of meds and no steps ( House is 4 ft off of the ground) very limited walking is hard even for a hyper collie on nerve pills. 10 weeks with no strenuous anything. She's still trying to meet me at the door. Bless her heart.

Attachments

• 20231108_195926 Dixie after surgery.jpg
    20231108_195926 Dixie after surgery.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Dixie got a clean bill of health last Wednesday's x ray, and is free to run and jump . ( I'm watching her like a hawk though and not letting her get too hyped up. ) It happened Nov 6th and this was mid February .. It's been a long road to hoe but I have been surely blessed and am so grateful. I made a Roxor step cover out of a heavy door mat and yet still need to make a solid door. Right now, I'm using her harness and the chain belt that's attached to the headrest. I had already been using it before the injury , but only with a collar. I have the hinges for the door and just need the time to make it. Until then, she is keep in line with the oem mesh closure from the seat up, and a box blocking the opening at the floor level.

ItBmine

Oh wow! Just saw this. Glad she recovered. Did you have a pic of the Roxor's step posted somewhere to show what the fault in the design is? You never want to see that happen again.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you ItBmine. I didn't take a picture of the step and now it's covered up with my makeshift mat cut to size and attached with my last amount of long cable ties. I found a piece of aluminum on the side of the road though. Probably off of a log truck step ? and my plan is to cut that down and use for a better looking cover. The cover now is embarrassingly ugly or I would post of it. ha but it does it's job. This is a link to a picture of the steps that came on my Roxor when I bought it . https://gritshift.com/products/mahindra-side-steps-roxor

ItBmine

Thank you ItBmine. I didn't take a picture of the step and now it's covered up with my makeshift mat cut to size and attached with my last amount of long cable ties. I found a piece of aluminum on the side of the road though. Probably off of a log truck step ? and my plan is to cut that down and use for a better looking cover. The cover now is embarrassingly ugly or I would post of it. ha but it does it's job. This is a link to a picture of the steps that came on my Roxor when I bought it . https://gritshift.com/products/mahindra-side-steps-roxor
Oh Okay. I can see now what happened. Stupid things you never think of. Especially when dogs always seem to be fail-proof.
I feel for you though, and the pup. I hate seeing stuff happen.
But on the bright side, be glad you are not in Canada because you wouldn't want to see what that vet bill would have been over here. It would be like mortgaging a new home, LOL

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's the truth . My family split the cost with me so 3 grand was my part. Dixie works on the farm so she deserved it. She is laying on the floor by me as I type just snoozing away. :)

ItBmine

That's the truth . My family split the cost with me so 3 grand was my part. Dixie works on the farm so she deserved it. She is laying on the floor by me as I type just snoozing away. :)
Well I sure hope she makes a full recovery. I love dogs. And you even got me to go check my property today and remove some hazards I never thought about before so I thank you for that!