HF Badlands winch on RTV900

DKUsnRet

Hi, everyone, glad to be here. Looking for advice on mounting Harbor Freight Badlands 5000 lb winch using front receiver hitch mount. I believe I have all of the electrical lines run correctly, but the winch has no power. The last piece of wiring connected was the lead to a “switched circuit” which I connected to the headlight circuit, which means, to me anyway, that vehicle would have to be running with headlights on in order for the winch to work. Which is fine with me, but nothing happens. Any ideas?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!
Take the red wire that's supposed to go to the switched circuit and connect it directly to the positive side of the battery and try again.
Does your winch have 2 controls (1 for handlebar, another for wired remote)?
I personally don't like switched circuits. I want to be able to use a winch without any part of the machine's circuitry in place. Machine doesn't need to be running, lights don't need to be on...

DKUsnRet

Thanks bczoom! Can I connect that wire to the positive connection just prior to the winch? I had used a splice type fitting to connect into headlight circuit. I’m also going to check the circuit breaker. I’ve never claimed to be an auto electrician, but I’m getting really tired of this.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks bczoom! Can I connect that wire to the positive connection just prior to the winch?
If I understand correctly, yes.
Punch line is to have that "switched" wire connected straight to the battery. Avoid as many connections as possible.
Do you have a multimeter so you can test each wire? If not, how are you going to check the breaker?

DKUsnRet

Bczoom, thanks again for the tip!! It works perfectly, will be testing it tomorrow, trying to pull old dead chokecherry tree, old fence posts to bundle up and get rid of. Back to work!