Modify the roll cage

kKicker

Just bought brand new 850 side kick but seriously thinking of chopping the top to lower the top 8 inches. So it fits in enclosed trailer and through some doorways. Any thoughts on this? My wife thinks I’m nuts.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I doubt they would or can cancel an entire warranty for any modification unless they could show the alteration had effect upon the failure being warranteed. However, unless one had engineering-support for the alteration it would likely negate any owners claim against the mfr’r should a roll-over occur.
If lowering the ROPS is required to make the machine useful for your purposes, then I’d do it. If you truly are concerned about roll-over safety then I’d seek some mechanical engineering resource.
Roll overs occur through speed, cornering, driver inexperience, sub-standard road conditions, overloaded vehicles, fatigue, collision with another vehicle or object, or traversing a critical slope.

The other consideration you might encounter is “re-sale”. If you later sell the vehicle you may suffer loss-of-value due to the ROPS alteration unless you have engineering support and the alteration is performed accordingly. You might also think about liability to your guests, riders, and subsequent owners should you sell. (ALWAYS have any buyer sign an acceptance or buyers agreement that it is sold “As is, Where is, without warranty as to fitness of purpose or merchantability, subject to the laws of the state of (your state or province.)”

I’m not a lawyer, but I slept with one once.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
You would destroy the resale value and make yourself liable if there is an accident as previously stated. I would sell it and get something different.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
An open utility trailer might be another solution to consider.