PTO Generator

haffasst

Guys, I live right in the predicted path of Gustav. I have been thinking about a PTO mounted generator that I can power with my MF-1020. It's only rated at 20 HP so that pretty much limits what I can use.
Anybody got any coments or suggestions. I have a 6 KW gas unit, but the diesel in the tractor would be safer and cheaper.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I considered the PTO alternative but decided against it. IF I was without power chances are I'll need the tractor for other chores. I would hate to have the tractor tied up for extended periods when the power was out.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I considered the PTO alternative but decided against it. IF I was without power chances are I'll need the tractor for other chores. I would hate to have the tractor tied up for extended periods when the power was out.

That's why I decided on a self contained generator. A lot of our outages are in the winter and I need the tractor to keep the driveways and road clear. Now that we have 2 tractors I probably would have made a different decision.

Jim

haffasst

I've thought about the Gardian or similar gens, but my electric meter is on one side of the house and my natural gas meter is on the other side. The side by the electric meter would be ideal. Then I need to run 1 1/2" pipe thru the attic and down to the gen. (manf recomends 1 1/2" pipe for fuel volume). It just all seems like alot of work. I guess if I'm out of A/C for a week it won't be as much work.-----LOL:shitHitsFan:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Then I need to run 1 1/2" pipe thru the attic and down to the gen. (manf recomends 1 1/2" pipe for fuel volume).

Get the flow rate needed and check with your gas company. If you can tap in before the regulator to get higher pressure and put another regulator at the generator to drop it back down you can use a lot smaller sized pipe.

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good post Paul.
Here are the first two paragraphs to Pauls link. Interesting.

The prolonged power outage in Eastern Ontario during the 1998 Ice Storm necessitated the continuous use of tractor-driven generators for extended periods of time. Concerns were raised following this event related to a higher than normal number of failures of electrical motors and electronic equipment. An on-farm investigation was conducted to study the operation and power quality of tractor-driven or power-take-off (PTO) driven generators.
This Factsheet will help farmers in the operation of their tractor-driven generators to maximize the quality of power produced. These comments and recommendations are not intended to replace specific details of setup and operation supplied by manufactures, distributors, and electrical contractors.

haffasst

Thanks for the info Paul. I guess that made up my mind for me. I guess after this storm passes I am going to "bite the bullet" and get a notural gas fired 15 KW unit. With an auto transfer switch my problems should be solved.:tiphat:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the info Paul. I guess that made up my mind for me. I guess after this storm passes I am going to "bite the bullet" and get a notural gas fired 15 KW unit. With an auto transfer switch my problems should be solved.:tiphat:

Make sure you know what kind of pressure your NG supplier is capable of delivering to you. Then check the generator. I bought one of the early Generac units, but it requires a 2 PSI supply. Most homes here don't have more than 1 PSI coming in. I have tried for years to find a plumber that will connect this thing and they just never call me back or never show up to do the work. It requires a new meter, meter yoke and regulator. And then cut the pressure back down before it hits any appliance in the house. I have the yoke and regulator and the NG supplier will set the meter after the piping is changed. I just can't get the plumbers to respond. Since the DOT got involved I can't do the work myself because it requires certification to do work on the street side of the meter.