RTV 900 hour meter confusion

ernestmsgreen

Hello,
I've recently purchased a 2013 RTV 900.
When i look at the hour meter it displays ⌛1532 wich i assumed this was the hours of the machine. But when i turn the ignition on it very briefly displays 8543 for about 1 second and then goes back to the original figure.
Any idea what these 2 values mean. It has the older stile meter that is just a little 5 digit LCD display.
Many thanks.

Smilingreen

Typically, when you first apply power at the ignition on the RTV's, the first set of numbers is how many hours are on the engine. Then, it displays miles. Is there a decimal point anywhere in that 8543? If not, then that engine has been idled a lot of hours, but hasn't run that many miles.

ernestmsgreen

Typically, when you first apply power at the ignition on the RTV's, the first set of numbers is how many hours are on the engine. Then, it displays miles. Is there a decimal point anywhere in that 8543? If not, then that engine has been idled a lot of hours, but hasn't run that many miles.
Thanks for your answer.
I will have a closer look and take a couple of photos of what it does. It only shows the highest vale for a second so it was hard to say if it had decimal points.
The thing is it shows the first value (1500....) all the time with or without power. Then the moment you apply the ignition it flashes that 8000.... And instantly goes back to the original value of 1500.... With the clock showing at the beginning as per the photo.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is strange.
My 2015 RTV 1100 will show hours with the key on before the engine is running. It has a 'h' after the number, then once started it shows the miles driven.
pics of mine.

IMG_4034.jpegIMG_4033.jpeg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just a guess but your meter is an hour meter only. You have 1500 hours on your machine. Once started that flash is the meter resetting from the start up process then it goes back to whatever hours are on your RTV.

ernestmsgreen

So this is the sequence:
Machine off, no power or key in the ignition, always shows a per the next photo
1000047674.jpgthen once the ignition is on it flashes up like so:
1000047673.jpg
Notice there is no sand clock on the left anymore.

An then you start the machine up an it shows the same as the first photo but the little icon of a sand clock on the left flashes:
1000047672.jpg
Thanks for all your replies. And sorry if im a bit repetitive but i want to be absolutely certain of the hours because it depends on the extent of the overhaul to carry out on this machine.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I see what you mean.
Since it is not 8000 but real numbers like you show I doubt it is just resetting.
For a definite answer I'm thinking you might take it to a dealer and see what they say.
Please share here whatever you find out.

Smilingreen

If you notice, when the meter is shown as the 8111.2, it doesn't have the hour glass symbol to the left of the numbers.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Now that you have photos? Use them as a time stamp. Run the engine but don't drive it and see wich one of the numbers advances by tenths and wich one stays unchanged. The one that changes will be hours