Wavian Jerry Fuel Cans

Smilingreen

Not much discussion about these, I figured I would maybe attempt to revive it, since fuel cans seems to be a touchy subject. :) What type of fuel cans does everyone use?

I used to buy what I could find locally, TSC, Auto parts store, etc. Those were the plastic 5 gallon cans, in red and yellow, from assorted manufacturers. All of them were the dreaded Obama cans. They all leaked everywhere when attempting to pour, nozzles snapped off, valves broke, can necks cracked, plastic seams split, etc. Then I found the replacement flexible filler nozzles. That was an improvement....but, it's plastic. They eventually deteriorate, also. Needless to say, plastic fuel cans get replaced every couple of years. (you seen the price on them things lately? They are getting ridiculous)

A few years ago, I was wandering around in my local Hobo Freight store and stumbled upon a metal Jerry Can. Of course, it was Chinese made, but hey, it was a Jerry can. It still had the stupid Obama plastic valve spout, but it seemed to be a minor improvement. I used that for 3 years, until the filler spout snapped off. Of course, you couldn't get a replacement.

3 years ago, in the height of the universal bug, I was cruising the net, and came across the genuine Metal Wavian Jerry cans. They weren't cheap, but they looked well built and everyone (except the usual online idiots that shouldn't own on to begin with, because it didn't come with an app) ranted and raved about them. So I ordered a 2 pak of the 5 gallon Wavian fuel cans. Nice! When filled, you could store them on their side, upside down, right side up, toss them around, drop them, etc. These thing are indestructible. They are now going on year 4 and they still function and mostly look brand new. Except the friggin Obama pour nozzle. Better than the plastic can ones of versions gone by, but still a pain.

So, a couple of years ago, I was on the Jungle Shopping Web Site and stumbled across this little device. It is a green flexible metal pour nozzle (intentional), with no valve. Website says it fits ALL Waivian cans. Intentionally, it left out the word fuel. So, hey, I'll gamble and order one. It came in, looks very well built, and........it fits my cans perfectly. To top it all off, instead of holding a 5 gallon jerry can full of fuel for 5 minutes while it trickles from the Obama spout, this thing will empty a full 5 gallon can in under a minute, not a single drop spilled! The secret to using it is this: There is a small hole at the base of the nozzle on top. When tipping the can to pour, place a finger over the hole, let fuel start pouring from the can into your fuel tank on your equipment. This will start to form a vacuum in the can. After 3 or 4 seconds, take your finger off the hole and be amazed at how fast you can empty 5 gallons without spilling a drop!Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 11.01.43 AM.png

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. I don't know what a 'Waivian can is. Guessing that is the metal jerry cans but no sure. The method that nozzle uses to empty reminds me of shot gunning a beer. LOL same concept. The beer can empties FAST. LOL

My solution for the obama plastic gas cans has been to use no nozzle to pour. I bought a giant 1 gallon funnel from harbor freight and pour into that without a nozzle. Takes more than a minute but much quicker than any other method I've found for filling my mower.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Then I found the replacement flexible filler nozzles. That was an improvement....but, it's plastic. They eventually deteriorate, also. Needless to say, plastic fuel cans get replaced every couple of years. (you seen the price on them things lately? They are getting ridiculous)
I've not had any problems with filler nozzles or the cans themselves deteriorating. Most of mine are several years old. I replaced many of the Obama nozzles with the EZ-Pour.
I rarely pour from a 5-gallon into a machine directly. I load up the truck with 5-gallon cans (about 20 of them) and fill at the gas station. When I get home, I remove the can nozzles and with a large funnel, pour the cans into the bulk tank.
Venting is important to empty the cans quickly. I have 1 or 2 vents in every can. Most can be completely emptied in around 20 seconds.

Here's a pic of some of my cans. There's more.

1705758723987.jpeg

Smilingreen

I remember the big brother to both of them, the 990. I almost traded my 790 in one one. It had the 4 cylinder, 40 HP Yanmar diesel in it. I ended up selling my 790 and bought a 5055D. For what the 790 and probably the 770's were, they were virtually bullet proof. I pushed and moved a lot of dirt, brush and rock the 10 years I owned it. The only issue I had with the 790 was the location of the steering tie rod. They put it in front of the front axle. Ended up replacing it a few times.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yea, bent my steering rod once as well.
I chose this tractor due to it's small size. I have very little room going through my woods. If/when I need something bigger, my neighbor has a JD 4052. He brings it over to move boulders or do backhoe work for me.