RTV with tracks / quick report...

joshkahan

hi folks - just a quick out of the blue post about my recent experience with my RTV and Camso tracks in the snow.

Short answer -- slow but awesome (so far - only had them a couple of weeks).

More detail -- have a bunch of Kubota equipment (including an excavator) -- awesome stuff of course - just ask my divorce attorney -- unfortunately my orange friends hold their value:)

Have a 2014 x1100c (cabbed) RTV - awesome machine -use it for logging/forestry support - I could care less about going fast (i.e. over 25mph +/-)

Live up in Vermont - very hilly and steep.

Recently installed a Kubota (brand / part) manual throttle override -- gets the engine speed up before you step on the gas -- really useful regardless of anything else. It replaces the temporary override control on my x1100c. Here are the part#s...

HAND THROTTLE KIT (K7591-9945-0) (KTC W/G #V5241) for KUBOTA UTILITY VEHICLE RTV-X900
HAND THROTTLE KIT (K7421-9945-0) (KTC W/G #V5243) for KUBOTA UTILITY VEHICLE RTV-X1120, RTV-X1100C, RTV-X1110

PS. I use Messicks for tons of stuff - they're not local but awesome to deal with - my local dealer is also amazing but doesn't have a good online footprint.

I installed CAMSO UTV4S1 tracks from ATVTracks (https://www.atvtracks.net/) -- they're all the way out in Washington -- great recommendation from a ski center in town (Polaris traitors).

Anycase, freight deliver where I live was the usual hassle (no fault of vendor) -- had to drive to local trucking terminal in NH and pickup 600+ pound pallet -- four tracks and accessory box.

Installation was actually quite simple -- read instructions several times as I am old and wittle senile. Biggest hassle was prepping my workshop for the winter install and building a frame to hold up my RTV after jacking it up high enough to facilitate track hubs (20+/-" versus 12"+/- for wheels).

Only other major hassle was securing track hubs onto axles -- especially the rear tracks as they are maybe 125 pounds+ each (could look up the exact specs of course but that may expose my skill at gross exaggeration when it comes to how manly I am). Front tracks went on very easily (under 100 pounds each). Again, I am very manly and am thinking about producing a youtube video to document this fact.

Joking aside, only minor installation complaint is that the manual is a little unclear on alignment and adjustment issues -- i.e. some duplicate and slightly contradictory info -- not a show stopper at all -- common sense always rules.

As for performance, the tracks simply work -no trouble moving my heavy (2,500 pound) RTV - only able to test in about two feet of unpacked snow. Cruising speed on hilly terrain is about 8 to 10 mph up and about 20 down -- mid teens on the flats. No lack of torque / power / concern about getting stuck whatsoever - just slow -- also - one is now a good foot higher off the ground - critical of course to remember this on hilly terrain. Have not had any "wet seat" moments yet.

Highly recommended (so far) as long as your speed expectations are aligned with reality.

Hope this helps...

--josh

p.s. just Googled Camso UTV4S1 specs -- rear tracks are 120 lbs each and fronts are 103 lbs each -- so YES, I am really manly and tough and broke and divorced and ...

Tsunamibob

I was wondering what those tracks use for anti rotation brackets? What is the possibility of flipping them?
Any pictures of your kubota with the tracks on?

Reactions: Doc

joshkahan

I was wondering what those tracks use for anti rotation brackets? What is the possibility of flipping thel thr a
Any pictures of your kubota with the tracks on?
hi - given all the awesome stuff I've learned on these forums, I am happy to try to return the favor -- will send photos shortly..

track integrity / stabilizers / adjustments

--there are adjustable struts (that extend from the tracks onto the axles) to insure track integrity - with the tracks that I received, the front struts also allow one to set up the "attack" angle - the angle where the front of the track meets the snow (and consequently the size of the "footprint" of the bottom of the front track). The rear struts help with track alignment -- all four tracks should be in the same plane of course -- Camso manual (if I recall correctly) recommends a delta of about 1/2". From what I can tell, barring equipment failure, there is zero chance of track system failure / flipping / folding in or out. Camso's RTV axel interface kit (for these struts) is incredibly easy to install.

The manuals (two of them) were a little unclear on track adjustment issues -- two manuals address installation and adjustment issues - no preamble on which manual to read first and some info is found in one but not in the other manual - one of the manuals is entitled "alignment and adjustments" (if I recall correctly without looking) and the other "installation" - moreover, some of the info in these Camso 4S1 track manuals simply did not apply to the tracks that I had -- i.e. manuals referred to adjustment elements that weren't on my tracks. Not a show stopper - common sense rules the day. In short, imo, not a whole lot of adjustments that one can make.

One minor concern is that the manual refers to a track deflection tool that is required to set track tension -- tool is expensive and not included - track tensioning system seems very straightfoward - since I don't have this tool, I am simply winging it.

Manuals are very good at noting required bolt torques except for the wheel lugs -- again, common sense and occasional checking apply here - only minor challenge (not a complaint) is that you have to rotate the tracks (manually while the vehicle is lifted or by driving) in order to play with all 4 wheel lugs as some of the lugs are hidden behind track frame members.

Update on performance -- have been pulling a 150lb groomer thru hilly terrain for the last couple of weeks and no issues whatsoever. Plenty of torque / pull power even though velocity is in the 5 to 15 (mph) range with some 20s on the downhills.

Hope this helps and will post some manly photos soon.

- josh

Slaw32

This was outside a dealer near me . Almost 10,000.00 . After I figure out how to afford that , I need to know how to get into the cab . Looks like a pretty tall first step .

Attachments

• IMG_20210125_143229905_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210125_143229905_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19

joshkahan

This was outside a dealer near me . Almost 10,000.00 . After I figure out how to afford that , I need to know how to get into the cab . Looks like a pretty tall first step .
hey - fwiw, depending on hours and condition, that is a steal - new Camso tracks (some of the least expensive) alone are $5K+

Slaw32

hey - fwiw, depending on hours and condition, that is a steal - new Camso tracks (some of the least expensive) alone are $5K+
That was a brand new machine ,, with a
10,000.00 set of tracks . So , about
32,000.00 before taxes .

• Wow
joshkahan,That is 1 badass looking machine you got there,..looks like a miny snowcat. i,ll bet you have alot of fun in deep snow. Cheers,Scotty

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
looks like a miny snowcat.

Not sure if our membership here is aware, but this site has a sister forum.

That forum covers pretty any subject under the sun.
There's a section there as well for snowcat enthusiasts.
With over 120,000 posts in that forum section alone, you can find most anything there is about snowcats over there.