Replacement Axle or Shaft Source

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i wish an aftermarket company would engineer and build a replacement axle shaft for the old style RTV with CV joints instead of U-Joints.

aarkie

I've got a older 1100 and had a boot go bad last year. I replaced both axles with a Caiman CAM-KU302 complete axle. A set cost about $200. They were a good fit and I have not had any problems with them. They are worth looking into.

ShortFatBaldGuy

I've got a older 1100 and had a boot go bad last year. I replaced both axles with a Caiman CAM-KU302 complete axle. A set cost about $200. They were a good fit and I have not had any problems with them. They are worth looking into.
Thanks for the recommendation aarkie! I've got the same problem with a 2009 1100. I'll be taking the axles off tomorrow for inspection but if there's a lot of damage I'll probably go for complete new axles. It's always good to know when someone has already been through it and can give a good review.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
YUP!!! I'm in the axle club now myself. the 07 RTV 1100 needs boots on both front axles. looks like the boots might have been rubbing from the interior of the boot and just wore through from the inside. strange

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Has anyone come across just replacement boots for the older model. Discovered a torn boot on my 05 and surely dont want to do a tear down. I remember old VW Beetle needing boots and a fella was selling boots that slipped on and then sealed with bolts....worked for a long time........Any thoughts????
Am just to old and stiff to get in there and do it....lol....unless a good friend wants to come stay a couple of days up on the mountain in the Airstream helping me do the job while they eat that home grown beef............hint hint........

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the help Judy...........Not out of laziness but it is, I really am of the school of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. Right now it is just a tear and yes, you can see the mechanism, the knuckles, inside there; but it's working. Before it locks up, guess I need more thought and research on getting the repair done. Didn't know that the parts are so cheap. So now, maybe it's finding someone to do the repairs..........

Til then, maybe duct tape????

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I know what you mean Dennis. I did order a boot similar to this link to repair the boot on that new type driveshaft before I sold my RTV . It was a decent repair but sort of wondered how long it would last. Every thing has to be perfectly lined up since it uses a super glue type sealant to seal the seam. I knew it wouldn't get much flex under there in the center so I tried it.I used it several months before I sold it and it held up as I used it. I did put a couple of small cable ties on it (gently) to reduce the stress. You can give it a look. The one I ordered is not available anymore. https://www.amazon.com/Bailcast-CVS...d=1&keywords=split+boot&qid=1613317828&sr=8-3
EDIT Dennis I just found this bolt type https://www.amazon.com/APDTY-1983-1...p/B07882BGBK/ref=psdc_404780011_t1_B0080DLLIY No idea of the size and diameter but just saw it so there hope other sizes are available

Reactions: Doc

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

GOOD STUFF TO RESEARCH AND WHERE TO BEGIN ........thanks Miss Judy.............

Geo Horn..Really a good idea. I have never used that stuff and wonder how "tough" and thick that material becomes. Guess there is always a first time.........

Guess it is time to get under there and take a couple of pictures and truly start the "repair" process..........lol...something to do while this Isolation rolls on and on.............God bless.........